E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Bernie@Fanatics
Administrator

My Ride: 83' 323is, 07' JCW
BMW Presents the 2 Series Active Tourer - A Front Wheel Drive BMW

BMW 2 Series Active Tourer

The arrival of the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer (fuel consumption combined: 6.0Ė4.1 litres per 100 km [47Ė68.9 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions: 139Ė109 g/km)* sees BMW expand its portfolio into another new model segment. The newcomer in the premium compact class skilfully blends comfort and functionality of space with the trademark BMW strengths of dynamism, style and elegance. Following on from the Coupe as the second member of the new BMW 2 Series range, the harmoniously proportioned Active Tourer oozes sportiness from every angle. Measuring just 4,342 millimetres long, 1,800 millimetres wide and 1,555 millimetres in height, it combines compact dimensions on the outside with a strikingly spacious feel on the inside, making it perfectly suited to cope with the growing challenges of urban mobility.

New turbocharged engines with three and four cylinders, a comprehensive package of BMW EfficientDynamics measures and the extensive connectivity provided by BMW ConnectedDrive are all formative elements in a driving experience that centres on sporty performance and exemplary efficiency.

Dynamism und functionality of space brought together in classic BMW fashion.

In order to achieve a particularly high level of versatility and functionality in the premium compact class, special design concepts are needed. BMW has therefore opted for a sophisticated front-wheel-drive system for the 2 Series Active Tourer that is able to deliver the degree of driver engagement expected of the brandís models. Together with the long wheelbase of 2,670 millimetres and raised roofline, this configuration enables the room inside to be maximised, resulting in an unprecedented feeling of spaciousness. Driver and front passenger enjoy a far higher seating position than in a sedan, which affords a commanding all-round view at the same time as making it easier to get in and out. The wealth of storage facilities and the option of a fold-flat passenger seat backrest are just two examples of the interiorís impressive flexibility and cleverly devised layout. The cabin has a light and spacious feel to it, with all surfaces horizontally structured in a layered look. There is also the option of a large panoramic roof that lets light flood into the interior. The brand identity with its overriding sense of dynamism is clearly present in the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer too. It shines through in trademark features such as the slightly forward-slanting BMW kidney grille at the front end flanked by the distinctive twin circular headlights. The short front overhang in particular is highly unusual for a front-wheel-drive car, and is just as much a classic BMW styling cue as the short overhang at the rear, the long wheelbase, the Hofmeister kink in the rear side windows and the L-shaped rear lights. Crisp contours and an eye-catching swage line at the sides give added impact to the wheel arches and inject the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer with forward thrust even when stationary. Moving inside, the controls for the radio, air conditioning and air vents are angled towards the driver in another unmistakable BMW design trait.

Maximum versatility and functionality.

The versatile luggage compartment, whose capacity can be enlarged from 468 to 1,510 litres, and the 40:20:40 split-folding rear backrest fitted as standard exemplify this modelís excellent everyday practicality. Flexibility is further enhanced by a sliding rear seat, allowing either kneeroom or luggage space to be increased as required. One particularly smart touch is the foldable boot floor that conceals a storage compartment with a handy multifunction tray. The rear backrest can be adjusted to offer either added comfort for the three rear seats or extra luggage space. Access to the luggage compartment couldn't be easier thanks to the large, broad, wide-opening tailgate, which can furthermore be optionally specified with pushbutton automatic opening and closing or the Smart Opener function for supreme ease of operation with a quick flick of the foot.

Latest-generation engines running on three or four cylinders.
The new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer is being launched with a choice of three powerful, light and fuel-efficient three and four-cylinder drive units that form part of a new generation of engines. They are installed transversely and boast a compact design along with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology, at the same time as complying with the EU6 emissions standard.

The new three-cylinder petrol unit stands out for its exceptional efficiency and great performance abilities. This cutting-edge powerplant is receiving its premiere in a model from the BMW core brand in the guise of the BMW 218i Active Tourer (fuel consumption urban/extra-urban/combined: 6.1/4.2/4.9 l/100 km [46.3/67.2/57.6 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 115 g/km)* with a six-speed manual gearbox. The engine has a displacement of 1.5 litres, generates 100 kW/136 hp and excels with its spontaneous throttle response, hearty appetite for revs and high pulling power. The design of three-cylinder engines means they are not subject to first and second-order inertia forces, while the balancer shaft included on the BMW unit ensures that it operates even more smoothly over the entire rev range.

Topping the bill at market launch is the BMW 225i Active Tourer (fuel consumption urban/extra-urban/combined: 7.6/5.0/6.0 l/100 km [37.1/56.5/47 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 139 g/km)*. With an output of 170 kW/231 hp, a time of 6.8 seconds* for the 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) dash and a top speed of 235 km/h* (146 mph), the modelís four-cylinder engine raises the bar for dynamic performance in its class.

Hard at work under the bonnet of the BMW 218d Active Tourer (fuel consumption urban/extra-urban/combined: 5.0/3.6/4.1 l/100 km [56.5/78.4/68.9 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 109 g/km)* is a four-cylinder diesel engine. A member of the same new engine family as its two petrol counterparts, it delivers 110 kW/150 hp while mustering up a peak torque of 330 Nm (243 lb-ft). This powerpack serves to reaffirm the exceptionally dynamic performance qualities of diesel engines from BMW, propelling the BMW 218d Active Tourer from standstill to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 8.9 seconds* and on to a top speed of 205 km/h (127 mph)*.

The BMW among front-wheel-drive cars.

Like all BMW models, the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer makes its mark with great driving dynamics and the sort of driving experience the brand is renowned for. The newly developed chassis, comprising a single-joint spring strut axle at the front and a multi-link rear axle, combines agility and directional precision with excellent handling stability and suspension comfort. The front drive axle in the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer has undergone extensive fine-tuning, ensuring that it endows the car with optimum driving dynamics and wonderfully precise steering feedback. The electromechanical steering and the systemís functional arrangement combine to produce a driving sensation that is devoid of interfering torque steer.
The intelligent use of high-tensile and ultra-high-tensile multi-phase steels makes a decisive contribution to safety standards in the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer, while also helping to keep the vehicleís weight down. Apart from being a crucial factor in the modelís exceptional driving dynamics, this lightweight engineering is just one among many BMW EfficientDynamics technology elements. These also include the Auto Start Stop function, Brake Energy Regeneration, Optimum Gearshift Indicator, on-demand operation of ancillary units and the integral Air Curtain, which uses two vertical air inlets in the front bumper to direct the airstream along the front wheels.

M Sport package for maximum presence.

Besides the standard trim, two further equipment lines both allow owners to put an individual slant on the interior and exterior. The Sport Line places the emphasis on the dynamic side, while the Luxury Line is all about elegance and exclusiveness. The M Sport package that will be available from November opens up even greater scope for customisation. An M Aerodynamics package, M Sport suspension and 17 or 18-inch M light-alloy wheels on the outside are complemented by an M leather steering wheel and specially upholstered sports seats in the interior to maximise the on-road presence of the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer. The range will be extended from late autumn to include variants equipped with the xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system.

High degree of connectivity for enhanced safety and comfort.

Standards of safety and comfort aboard the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer are boosted by the assistance systems and various infotainment features that are collectively known as BMW ConnectedDrive. Take, for instance, the Traffic Jam Assistant or the camera-based cruise control system with Stop & Go function, which both work using a mono camera. They assist with accelerating and braking (longitudinal guidance) as well as steering (lateral guidance with the Traffic Jam Assistant), at the same time as relieving the driver of monotonous tasks, such as when driving in a queue of traffic on the motorway or in heavy city-centre traffic.

BMW ConnectedDrive Services & Apps bring smartphone applications into the vehicle and allow innovative features like the Concierge Service or Real Time Traffic Information to be added. These can also be booked at a later date and, in many cases, for flexible periods of time. In this way, the functionality of the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer can be vastly enhanced and updated by the owner at any time.

The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer is the first model in the premium compact class to be made available with a Head-Up Display, which projects all relevant driving information into the driverís field of vision in full colour. Instead of being displayed on the windscreen itself, the information is shown on a screen that extends out between the steering wheel and windscreen. This enables drivers to view all key information without having to divert their attention from the road.
Bernie@Fanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
bye bmw soul.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
HLG600

My Ride: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
bye bmw soul.
People said the same thing when Porsche introduced the Cayenne, an SUV (gasps). What ensued was an monumental increase in sales for the brand, bigger budgets for R&D and a continually evolving flagship. Today, the 911 still reigns supreme.

Personally, I don't care about BMW diversifying to fill new niches. The enthusiast in me may scoff but the businessperson in me sees clever maneuvering to leverage a brand.

Whether it works or not, time will tell. However, BMW's soul is alive and well in the models targeted towards an audience that realizes its existence. I see the 2 Series Coupe and upcoming Gran Coupe as potentially the E46's of the new era.

Last edited by HLG600; 02-16-2014 at 12:42 AM.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
People said the same thing when Porsche introduced the Cayenne, an SUV (gasps). What ensued was an monumental increase in sales for the brand, bigger budgets for R&D and a continually evolving flagship. Today, the 911 still reigns supreme.

Personally, I don't care about BMW diversifying to fill new niches. The enthusiast in me may scoff but the businessperson in me sees clever maneuvering to leverage a brand.

Whether it works or not, time will tell. However, BMW's soul is alive and well in the models targeted towards an audience that realizes its existence. I see the 2 Series Coupe and upcoming Gran Coupe as potentially the E46's of the new era.

It makes me sad to see a bmw badge on these cars though. These types of cars should be released under the "Mini" badge or maybe even a new brand. This particular car is just another small blah on a board of small blah cars. Bmw is using the leverage of their name to sell cars like this. And bmw only has that name by not selling cars like this. Hopefully that makes sense.
It's like if Rolls Royce were to offer an entry level car at $40k. They would attract a lot of buyers sure. Because everyone would want a piece of the name. But over time the name will loose it's exclusivity by doing this and then they won't be able to push the low cars or the high end cars.

This seems like a good short term move but long term I'm not sure what it will do for brand image.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:32 AM   #5
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
Quote:
It makes me sad to see a bmw badge on these cars though. These types of cars should be released under the "Mini" badge or maybe even a new brand. This particular car is just another small blah on a board of small blah cars. Bmw is using the leverage of their name to sell cars like this. And bmw only has that name by not selling cars like this. Hopefully that makes sense.
It's like if Rolls Royce were to offer an entry level car at $40k. They would attract a lot of buyers sure. Because everyone would want a piece of the name. But over time the name will loose it's exclusivity by doing this and then they won't be able to push the low cars or the high end cars.

This seems like a good short term move but long term I'm not sure what it will do for brand image.

Reminds me of the whole maserati ghibli pinninfarina frenzy. Twin turbo V6 running at a mere $76000. Its the cheap and affordable maserati. It is a good concept and will sell well just like this 2' active tourer because its a cheap way to get the brand name on the badge. It will get old and overplayed within a year

[bimmerapp]

Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
HLG600

My Ride: German
Quote:

I hear ya, especially on the overall brand dilution. Truth is, the majority of drivers are not enthusiasts, and in order for BMW to have the resources to cater to enthusiasts, as a business they first need to be in the black.

Brands like Rolls Royce and Bentley are able to maintain exclusivity because they have the support of BMW and VW behind them, respectively. Even the Continental GT was a big deviation away from Bentley's brand image...$150K for a better car than the $400K+ Continental/Azure? The purists complained at first but history showed otherwise.

Regarding the badge, I get it, but take a look any other big name brand. My B7 A4 has the exact same badge as an R8, the three pointed star exists on a Sprinter van and an SL65 AMG, etc. It's just a badge at the end of the day. What matters most, IMHO, is what the car delivers, and as long as BMW (same goes for other brands I've owned) keeps up with their top-notch engineering and driving enjoyment in the models I own, I'll be a supporter.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #7
camrydriver111

My Ride: 05 325i
"BMW expects high conquest rate for 2-series Active Tourer"

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...-active-tourer

Quote:
"We are expecting the Active Tourer will have a conquest rate of around 75 percent," Frank Niederlaender, head of product management for BMW's lower model range, told Automotive News Europe at the model's press launch here.

Last edited by camrydriver111; Yesterday at 12:12 PM.
camrydriver111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #8
CarbonZHP

My Ride: is uncomfortable
Cool. And yay for low end cars to make ours better in the long run. But I wont acknowledge it as a BMW. And no theyre not allowed to show up to Bimmerfest all happy and proud to be there.
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #9
shockin330i

My Ride: '13 AW F10 535i
Send a message via AIM to shockin330i
2013 535i AW F10 "Lola"

"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f*** the Prom Queen."-John Mason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci View Post
:drool:
i'd cosign loans for that ho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks dude. I knew she was a keeper when she blew me during a game of cod. I didn't do too well that game
shockin330i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 series active tourer, bmw 2 series, bmw active tourer