E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
x5homework

My Ride: x5
the floor jack is on sale for 80 btw $$$
x5homework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
x5homework

hello wildirish317, i found this stepbystep http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...mp-sensor.html. it seems like i just need an 8 and 10mm wrench and a pair of needlenosed pliers or screwdriver. does this seem accurate to you? thanks.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
^ that looks like a good DIY to follow. Have a container of some sorts to catch the coolant, make sure the coolant isn't hot (don't attempt this directly after a long drive, coolant will be hot), take your time and I think you'll be ok. If you have a friend that is semi mechanically inclined, it might not hurt to buy him/her some beer and or some food to help out even if its just for moral support. Never, ever, ever climb under the vehicle with that crappy jack BMW gives you, you could be seriously injured or killed, even in this situation where you're not removing the wheels/tires, I wouldn't trust it at all. I only use mine if I have a flat on the road. I use other jacks if I'm doing work at home or at work.

Let us know how it goes!

EDIT: $400 for a battery is highway robbery! When mine died, I picked out a comparable battery to OEM at Autozone, that was at least 3 years ago, no trouble since. But don't worry, I once paid them (the dealer) something like $150 to replace the lower intake boot on the car. I thought whatever was wrong with it would be covered under extended warranty, nope, not that rubber boot. The part was $20, and I know I could have done it myself. Live and learn!

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus

Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 11-17-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
x5homework

thank you, marcus, for your reply. i have the parts ordered. i haven't gotten the jack yet, but i won't get under there without one, bought or borrowed. i will be back here often especially while waiting for parts to come in. .do you think my short list and some containers are all i need? if so, i'll order the jack and the creeper today. and some jack backups. i am going to give it my best! will let you know for sure! thanks. i also tried to get registered at xoutpost but there is a bit of turnaround time.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #25
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Sorry, been away for a bit. The DIY you found should work. The ends of the hose have plastic connectors that slip over the nozzle on the radiator and water pump. You need a flat blade screwdriver to pop the retaining clips out of the connectors, and the hose should just pull right off. Make sure you bleed the system when finished.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
wildirish317

Here's a link to the X5 bleed. It's similar to the E46. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...lant-3-0i.html

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 11-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
x5homework

thank you wildirish317 for the feedback and for the link! much appreciated!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #28
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
Glad we could help, thats what forums are for!

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #29
wildirish317

^+1. Buy an E46 and join the fun!

Old 11-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #30
x5homework

Will do!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
x5homework

while i'm looking online everywhere I can think of....I am also posting it here. If any of you wizards know what this is, please enlighten me. i got the jack stands, the floor jack and wuala, I took off the dirt covers and this fell out from somewhere. i hoping you can point me in the right direction, once again. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131125_200646.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	536209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131125_200653.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	536210  
Old 11-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
x5homework

chapter 2

ok m54 stepbrothers, tell me what you can.....please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131126_081153.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	536256  
Old 01-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #33
Boondockz

My Ride: 1999 323i
Hey folks, first post here. I've been reading and searching for a good while but finally I got ssome questions I really need answered.

Cu. etly I am in the middle of a radiator/ t stat/ upper and lower hose replacement..on a 5speed m52TU 99 323i ect.
I drained the block & took a bit of a antifreeze bath. Took/ wrestled all the hoses off the radiator, and drained that too.

Heres the bad part. i had heard that the radiator comes out easly with the expansion tank still attached and then seperating them is easier. Not the case. After realising i was reading a lame diy that did not mention the lower e tank hose, I had the radiator loose making that lower hose damn near impossible.

I Had to jack the car up a lot higher, and snip the tie that holds that hose to the frame giving some room to pull. Bam finally got it off.

Got them both out, & kindof more forcefully than i would have liked. The top hose that connects the etank and radiator was just LOCKED on there, not wanting to break the tank i chipped around the inlet of the radiator( where the crack was) and with a little bit of a twist got them apart fine. But the mounting plate had broken more than I would like to reuse. Had to call BMW for another (60$) facepalm.

So this is actually the bad part, and my questions.

1 during this process, the radiator(?) that is in the front ( closer to the bumper) of the coolant radiator, was barely marred, but its a tossup If it will leak or not.

What is this part called? What's its purpose? Fingers crossed its the A/C. But I cannot find it listed anywhere.
Boondockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #34
thewhiteshark

My Ride: 325ci
Lower rad hose fan switch o ring

For what it is worth and I am sure not the first to try it. Two years ago the o ring started leaking on my 2005 e46. I pulled it out wrapped Teflon tape around it(4 wraps) pushed it back in and it has been bone dry since then. I have two spare o rings and if it did start leaking again I would probably wrap the new one with teflon before putting it .
thewhiteshark is offline   Reply With Quote