E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #181
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 1,989
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Thats what I meant.
Yep, I was just adding to it.
__________________

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."




2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #182
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 958
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Whether I fully support it or not am I really going to back down? From what you know so far how do you not understand that when I start digging a whole I keep going until I hit China.
I do likes me some good debate, and exploring an idea to it's limits, and playing devil's advocate.

But do you learn anything from all this? Has there been a situation on this forum where you made a statement, and then later realized you were wrong, conceded the point and walked away having learned something?
__________________
----------------------------------------------
Stuff for sale in SoCal:

- Bestop briefcase

----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #183
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 1,989
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
I do likes me some good debate, and exploring an idea to it's limits, and playing devil's advocate.

But do you learn anything from all this? Has there been a situation on this forum where you made a statement, and then later realized you were wrong, conceded the point and walked away having learned something?
It's hard to say because often times I deliberately take an idea way to far just for the hell of it. In short, no, I haven't quite found a time where I was wrong but practically every time I say something, it is blown out of proportion by me or someone else. In this thread, all I said was that the free market is good at getting rid of discriminating businesses and pretty much everyone agrees with that. But because of some choice comments from me and others, the thread went off the topic. But this always happens. Nothing new.

The main thing I have learned so far is how to win a debate against the majority. And I need to stop taking a "This is Sparta!" approach to every argument where I wage war against many opponents. I need to pick smaller battles to win in the real world.
__________________

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."




2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #184
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
It's hard to say because often times I deliberately take an idea way to far just for the hell of it. In short, no, I haven't quite found a time where I was wrong but practically every time I say something, it is blown out of proportion by me or someone else. In this thread, all I said was that the free market is good at getting rid of discriminating businesses and pretty much everyone agrees with that. But because of some choice comments from me and others, the thread went off the topic. But this always happens. Nothing new.

The main thing I have learned so far is how to win a debate against the majority. And I need to stop taking a "This is Sparta!" approach to every argument where I wage war against many opponents. I need to pick smaller battles to win in the real world.
You need to realize your views are subjective, and trying to force them on others will garner no support you dream of. Expand your horizons and be receptive to other opinions and ideologies. Just make sure on the most basic level you operate ethically, honestly, efficiently, and logically.
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #185
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 1,989
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
You need to realize your views are subjective, and trying to force them on others will garner no support you dream of. Expand your horizons and be receptive to other opinions and ideologies. Just make sure on the most basic level you operate ethically, honestly, efficiently, and logically.
I said I'm trying to be a politician. None of this works with that.

__________________

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."




2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #186
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 504
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
It's hard to say because often times I deliberately take an idea way to far just for the hell of it. In short, no, I haven't quite found a time where I was wrong but practically every time I say something, it is blown out of proportion by me or someone else. In this thread, all I said was that the free market is good at getting rid of discriminating businesses and pretty much everyone agrees with that. But because of some choice comments from me and others, the thread went off the topic. But this always happens. Nothing new.

The main thing I have learned so far is how to win a debate against the majority. And I need to stop taking a "This is Sparta!" approach to every argument where I wage war against many opponents. I need to pick smaller battles to win in the real world.
Marshy isn't wrong. He has a monopoly on wisdom and intelligence.

Take bf08's advice and expand your horizons. You certainly need to.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #187
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I said I'm trying to be a politician. None of this works with that.

That's the problem. You'll never stand out from the rest if you don't abide by basic principles and respect towards other humans. Have you seen politics lately? It's a **** show.
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #188
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
In short, no, I haven't quite found a time where I was wrong
And that's another one of your problems right there. Lack of humility and refusing to accept the fact that you're flat out wrong when several other people have told you so. You can't just admit, not even once, that you're wrong. It's like you're too afraid that your e-pride will get hurt.

And then you deflect by saying "oh, this is my opinion", or "oh, that's your opinion".

Good luck in real life, kid.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-16-2014 at 06:51 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #189
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 1,989
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Marshy isn't wrong. He has a monopoly on wisdom and intelligence.

Take bf08's advice and expand your horizons. You certainly need to.
Most of my views are similar to him. So by that measure, my horizon is sufficiently expanded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
That's the problem. You'll never stand out from the rest if you don't abide by basic principles and respect towards other humans. Have you seen politics lately? It's a **** show.
I do actually, I would be a welcome entrant to the world of politics and would be quickly shown the door because unfortunately I don't act in the same deceitful way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
And that's another one of your problems right there. Lack of humility and refusing to accept the fact that you're flat out wrong when several other people have told you so. You can't just admit, not even once, that you're wrong. It's like you're too afraid that your e-pride will get hurt.

And then you deflect by saying "oh, this is my opinion", or "oh, that's your opinion".

Good luck in real life, kid.
I have no problem admitting I'm wrong. But I'm sure you like to think this with your ego. I love your choice of words. "refusing to accept the fact that you're flat out wrong when several other people have told you so". Wow! A couple people said I was wrong so I must be wrong! And they even had evidence to support them! Too bad my evidence doesn't matter to them. Oh well! Guess I'm wrong! You guys know best because you said so! And badfast pretends like he's a political analyst so he must be right! Wow! Such misguided! So politics!
__________________

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."




2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #190
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 504
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Most of my views are similar to him. So by that measure, my horizon is sufficiently expanded.
Hardly. Don't try to unjustly elevate yourself to the same level as BF08.

Quote:
I have no problem admitting I'm wrong. But I'm sure you like to think this with your ego. I love your choice of words. "refusing to accept the fact that you're flat out wrong when several other people have told you so". Wow! A couple people said I was wrong so I must be wrong! And they even had evidence to support them! Too bad my evidence doesn't matter to them. Oh well! Guess I'm wrong! You guys know best because you said so! And badfast pretends like he's a political analyst so he must be right! Wow! Such misguided! So politics!
You do have a problem admitting when you are wrong. One problem is your sources are typically ill-informed commentaries. Post up empirical evidence, journal studies, and peer-reviewed sources and they will taken more seriously. I doubt you have yet to learn the different types of sources yet in your, what, 2nd college class?

I pretend like I am a political analyst? I guess a Master's in political science might make me appear that way. But nonetheless, typically, when I make a suggestion it doesn't come from a place of ignorance like M_RSH_. You can buy a vowel.

Last edited by badfast; 02-16-2014 at 07:11 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #191
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Judge deems Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post






I have no problem admitting I'm wrong.
You don't? Then when's the last time you've admitted to being wrong in here?

You even said it yourself, you haven't been wrong


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
In short, no, I haven't quite found a time where I was wrong

And I'm the one with the ego? lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
But I'm sure you like to think this with your ego. I love your choice of words. "refusing to accept the fact that you're flat out wrong when several other people have told you so". Wow! A couple people said I was wrong so I must be wrong! And they even had evidence to support them! Too bad my evidence doesn't matter to them. Oh well! Guess I'm wrong! You guys know best because you said so! And badfast pretends like he's a political analyst so he must be right! Wow! Such misguided! So politics!

lol

You post "evidence"?

You did, ONE time with some BS chart that you can't even interpret correctly and your fellow libertarian said couldn't give any credence to. Furthermore, you use blogs and your unfounded pipe dream opinions as "evidence".

You wouldn't know what evidence is or a real fact if it hit you in the face. Your arguments suck, don't have a leg to stand on, constantly get shot down, even by moderate conservatives on here such as BF08.

Good luck in college kid. Heaven forbid you have to do some real research or do a thesis paper and need to gather hard data. You'd fail. But that's right, you're not in college to learn anything.

Such a waste of oxygen you are, with your yap.





Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-16-2014 at 07:45 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #192
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 1,989
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
It warms my heart to know how angry I make all of you.
__________________

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."




2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #193
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Judge deems Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
It warms my heart to know how angry I make all of you.

Oh I'm not angry. I'm laughing at you. You always provide fresh material to keep us entertained with your naivety.

But anyway, nice deflection. Keep it up.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-16-2014 at 07:53 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #194
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 1,989
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Nice deflection? Not at all. I hope my brief responses give you a clue as to how much I care.
__________________

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."




2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #195
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Nice deflection? Not at all. I hope my brief responses give you a clue as to how much I care.
Says he doesn't care, yet continues to post and revisit the political section.

It warms my heart knowing that no matter how much you say and try and convince us that " you're ahead of your peers," you're really not as demonstrated time and time again with what you post and how you defend your untenable positions. You just talk a big game.





Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #196
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Most of my views are similar to him. So by that measure, my horizon is sufficiently expanded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Hardly. Don't try to unjustly elevate yourself to the same level as BF08.


Marsh, take the horse blinders off. You and I came from polar opposites of the spectrum with regards to our upbringings hence why I probably have more respect and sympathy/empathy for those who are at the bottom of society trying to better their situations. Not to mention I live in and work alongside a city full of minorities, military, and lower income folks. Plus, I gave up on chasing money long ago and realized greediness betters no one, not even myself. We maybe share 5-10% of our views...
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #197
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Judge deems Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post




Marsh, take the horse blinders off. You and I came from polar opposites of the spectrum with regards to our upbringings hence why I probably have more respect and sympathy/empathy for those who are at the bottom of society trying to better their situations. Not to mention I live in and work alongside a city full of minorities, military, and lower income folks. Plus, I gave up on chasing money long ago and realized greediness betters no one, not even myself. We maybe share 5-10% of our views...
Marshy wouldn't be able to relate to you, at all. After all, he's cultured , affluent, and can't fathom what it's like to be poor, a minority, or lower income. His only dealings with such people is when he helps his slumlord dad collect the rent checks.

Not to mention he's a closet racist because his prom date went off with a person not of his ilk. And he's misogynist since he thinks a woman's place is at home.

So yeah, he's 18, ahead of his peers, and "on the right track".

LOL

not.




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-16-2014 at 08:26 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #198
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post


Marsh, take the horse blinders off. You and I came from polar opposites of the spectrum with regards to our upbringings hence why I probably have more respect and sympathy/empathy for those who are at the bottom of society trying to better their situations. Not to mention I live in and work alongside a city full of minorities, military, and lower income folks. Plus, I gave up on chasing money long ago and realized greediness betters no one, not even myself. We maybe share 5-10% of our views...
Your experiences are like divorce to kids....they can have a black effect or a white effect. Like you, I didn't grow up privileged. My family came to the US with $90 in our pockets (the maximum amount USSR allowed to take abroad) and clawed our way up through the ranks over many years. While I certainly put other priorities ahead of money (family, health, happiness, etc) I do believe a certain amount of greed is good (fantastic motivator) as well as having an appreciation for true hard work, something that is missing from MANY people today, especially in minority precincts. I said this before in many other threads...NO AMERICAN has ANY excuse to live below the poverty line. They are afforded every luxury possible. They have free education from cradle to PHD. They have every opportunity, but yet many don't seize it. At the same time, immigrants without a word of english and no money come here, set up shop, and prosper like no tomorrow, and no other country on earth can remotely match that opportunity of prosperity. Back to the greed part...my ex boss was worth probably in the 250 million dollar range. He has more money than he will ever spend in a lifetime....and yet, his "greed" makes him keep opening new restaurants/bars, creates a ton of jobs, etc. It is when greed takes the place of other things (like decency, time with kids, time away from your wife, etc) when it starts to consume you. I do agree there is a fine line though.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #199
Lair
E46Fanatic
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Council housing
Posts: 320
My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
NO AMERICAN has ANY excuse to live below the poverty line. They are afforded every luxury possible. They have free education from cradle to PHD. They have every opportunity, but yet many don't seize it.
Why do you have a problem with people who choose not to seize it? I'll guarantee you that they don't gaf that you're willing to kiss stinky, hairy corporate ass to get ahead. Why won't you embrace freedom and return the courtesy?
__________________

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #200
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 99
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Back to topic, VA's ruling is but another harbinger that gay marriage bans are on the short track to extinction, as, Constitutionally, they ought to be. I'd give it a year or two, max, before the SCOTUS consigns these laws to the ash heap of history and freedom and liberty -- two putative touchstones of current conservative dogma. Social conservatives will be relegated to marrying those they freely choose to marry, if, however, loosing the ability to impose upon others who they feel they should or should not marry.

Last edited by Rhumb; 02-16-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use