E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
Dazza335iC

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 335iC
Prepping a 330Ci for it's first track outing, a few Q's

Hey all, I'm getting ready to hit my first ACA/CCA track days here in the coming months with my (new to me) '02 330Ci. Now this ain't my first rodeo... I've done many of them before in my old e30s, had plenty of time on the AutoX pad and raced for several years in LeMons/ChumpCar. So I know my way around the track

My questions relate more to the e46 platform and the m54b30 engine, namely:
1) Are there any special considerations that the m54b30 needs when being taken to the track, i.e. running the oil 1/2qt high or...?
2) Coming from the e30 world I've heard of (possible) issues with the m54 harmonic damper at high revs. Anything I should know or be on the lookout for?
3) The car in an 05/02 build date, and from what I've been able to research the chances of rear subframe issues are much less on these later build cars. Is this true, and/or is a weld-in reinforcement kit necessary for track days?

The car was kept in excellent shape by the PO and I know the CABs are brand new. It's also fitted with H&R Cup Kit suspension which should make it a bit more fun. Overall the bushings feel and look in good shape, but they are original so the track will tell all It will have fresh brake fluid, good tires, etc etc etc...

Thanks!
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC View Post
Hey all, I'm getting ready to hit my first ACA/CCA track days here in the coming months with my (new to me) '02 330Ci. Now this ain't my first rodeo... I've done many of them before in my old e30s, had plenty of time on the AutoX pad and raced for several years in LeMons/ChumpCar. So I know my way around the track

My questions relate more to the e46 platform and the m54b30 engine, namely:
1) Are there any special considerations that the m54b30 needs when being taken to the track, i.e. running the oil 1/2qt high or...? Yes, run it 1/2 a quart high.
2) Coming from the e30 world I've heard of (possible) issues with the m54 harmonic damper at high revs. Anything I should know or be on the lookout for? Yes, try NOT to rev out to (stock) redline, I'd short shift at 6200 ish RPM.
3) The car in an 05/02 build date, and from what I've been able to research the chances of rear subframe issues are much less on these later build cars. Is this true, and/or is a weld-in reinforcement kit necessary for track days? It's hard to say, do you Absolutely know it's currently perfect/not cracked ? I personally believe this is a bigger problem for street driving, because of any & all Hard Launch's from a dead stop. A track car is "Loaded" most of the time, as opposed to a quick/hard dynamic (traffic light) launch.

The car was kept in excellent shape by the PO and I know the CABs are brand new. It's also fitted with H&R Cup Kit suspension which should make it a bit more fun. Overall the bushings feel and look in good shape, but they are original so the track will tell all It will have fresh brake fluid, good tires, etc etc etc...

Thanks!
I'll post up the Stupidest / Simple subframe fix as soon as I find it.

Rob

EDIT: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...2&postcount=16
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1388248918.903798.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	541867  

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 01-09-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
JDUTHIE

My Ride: 2003 325xi
^that fix is soo much win
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUTHIE View Post
^that fix is soo much win
Agreed. But how legit is it? Only recommended for poking around or can you really abuse the car?

Last edited by badfast; 02-17-2014 at 10:53 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote