E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
ajai

My Ride: 330ci***65104; 328i
Car setup and drive tech question.

I have just changed to coilover with damper setting.
I have fine tune the damper and tire psi and alignment.

Now when I do hard cornering, the car doesn't seems to under or over steer.
I can feel a strong weight is pushing exectly on the middle of the car sideways during apex. But the car is gripping hard

my question is , does this means its a good neutral setup?
Or am I not suppose to feel weight transfer if the car is neutral?

missed the ci, welcome the i
ajai is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Weight transfer happens irregardless. How much depends on a number of factors. I am sure the car feels a ton better. After all that is what coilovers are designed for. It may feel as though the handeling is neutral but I assure you it probably isnt.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
ajai

I can feel lots of weight transfer from in to outside tires. but just seems to push on both front n rear too.
doesn't a neutral car have less weight transfer from side to side ?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
"neutral" is when the tires front and rear slide at the same rate.
Understeer is when the front slides first
Oversteer the back is sliding first.

You can have a car that is neutral at one speed,
oversteers at another speed, and understeers at another..
Turn angle/radius and spring-rate, tire pressure play in as well.

A small amount of over steer is usually a good thing, it gives you some warning before things go totally off.

Coil overs in of themselves don't do anything you cant do with regular struts, their advantages are
they tend to react slightly quicker and are easier to adjust and weigh a tic less. Ive tuned suspension where we
were not allowed to use coil overs and I still get the car to handle, its just more work.

Weight transfer is always there, its body roll thats usually the thing that buggers up handling,
the inside lifting too much messes with all the suspension angles.

I usually use a skid pad to get in the ballpark corner weight the car as even as I can and start track tuning from there..

Tires are a HUGE part of how your suspension works, for instance a car that's easy to tune on DOT tires can be a Bitch to
make handle on slicks. If your car doesn't have a full cage, and a full body prep.. Slicks are not an advantage.
The difference in traction with slicks is high enough to tear suspension mounts loose. All the rest of the car has to get stiffer...
You'll also find that bigger wheels does not always = better handling. I've gotten cars to quicker lap times by shrinking rim size and even tires size.

Hope this helps..

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 02-18-2014 at 12:37 AM.
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
ajai

very detail help buddy.
Another question.
I heard to tune damper as soft as possible, just right at where the springs don't bounce is good enough.
but don't we need stiffer damper for high speed corner?
I am very stiff now, on mountain road, bumpy road, I can't grip right.