E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #121
ocellatus

My Ride: 325i 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni01_k View Post
Nice job man.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazz View Post
I does look a little high. You might take the airbag out, make sure all the wires are sitting out of the way and put it back in. Either that or just smash the horn a few times
We took it out today ( what a pain it was! ) but nothing was wrong with that. It perfectly sits on the steering wheel springs but still looks a little high from outside.
This airbag is removed from an M3 steering wheel, and my new steering wheel is an M sport but not M3. However, this shouldn't make a difference since the round airbag for all of them has the same part number.

Ok then I am going to crash the car into a tree to have this airbag open, rip it apart, piss inside the bag and bury it under that tree. I prefer a big hole at center of steering wheel rather than that annoying gap.

Just kidding, I think I will live with that.

BTW, I'm very pleased that I have track, volume and cruise control working now.
ocellatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #122
lamsv

My Ride: 2001 325iT
^ Mine didn't sit flush at first. Make sure you have the springs pushed ALL the way in with the screwdriver. With some more force, the bag was able to sit flush. This may or may not fix the air bag not sitting flush.

I did this modification this weekend. Wasn't very hard. Removing the panels and splicing the wires where the most time consuming aspects. The directions are fairly clear in the PDF you can download on page 1 of this thread. Having cruise control is absolutely fantastic, and working radio controls are just icing on the cake.

Before:

After:

lamsv:2001 325iT

Last edited by lamsv; 07-16-2013 at 11:02 AM.
lamsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #123
ocellatus

My Ride: 325i 2005
Well done man!

I am sure the hooks have caught the springs so I don't think more force would result any better. Last thing I did about it was making real a funny idea that came to my mind to fatten the spring rod so that the airbag's hook have to go deeper in order to get behind the rod. I decided to do this in a minimum time and effort way! so I didn't even remove the steering wheel. I took a few inches of those solid shaped wires and wrapped it tight around the spring rod using a screwdriver and a hook-like tool since there is not any space to bend the wire by fingers. The idea kinda worked! Not much but made it sit just a little better. I got satisfied at that point not by the results but by the ridiculous idea and procedure actually working!

BTW, Now after a couple months I think that I can not live without volume and track change controls on the steering wheel! Yaaay!!!

Last edited by ocellatus; 07-16-2013 at 01:23 PM.
ocellatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #124
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsv View Post
^ Mine didn't sit flush at first. Make sure you have the springs pushed ALL the way in with the screwdriver. With some more force, the bag was able to sit flush. This may or may not fix the air bag not sitting flush.

I did this modification this weekend. Wasn't very hard. Removing the panels and splicing the wires where the most time consuming aspects. The directions are fairly clear in the PDF you can download on page 1 of this thread. Having cruise control is absolutely fantastic, and working radio controls are just icing on the cake.

Before:

After:

Look nice now, better than B4, I have the same square steering and I have changed it with this sport wheel, I have bought it used, it was removed from an X5. I did some polishing painting job and became like new.
This is the best useful nice look mode I've did for my car. every thing is working nice as it should.

Last edited by maxi; 07-18-2013 at 05:52 PM.
maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #125
cooler_bh

My Ride: 316ti 2004
Hi guys, I've read all posts and still need your help.

I'm trying to replace my 4 spoke non-multifunctional with 3 spoke MLF triangle steering wheel.My compact E46 is built in 11/2003, and the new 3spoke steering wheel is made back in 98/99, so I am not sure is it possible to install and old E46 steering wheel, on a facelift model from 11/2003 ? I have connected all three wires as shown in the DIY tutorial, and the only thing that is working is the siren, the orange illumination on the buttons, and the controls on the left for music, volume, etc. Cruise control buttons are glowing, but are not working, and the airbag light is on. The diagnostics says : resistance too large IGNITION CIRCUIT / AIRBAG DRIVER STAGE 2. Please help!
I have tried to clear the airbag error from memory but it keeps showing...

Car is BMW compact e46, 316ti N42 engine, 115hp.

Thanks & regards...

Last edited by cooler_bh; 02-18-2014 at 02:16 PM.
cooler_bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #126
May-39

My Ride: 323/VW TDI
Please confirm Proper Parts/Harness THANK YOU!

I am looking to retrofit on wifes 99 323
M 52 engine code.
I obtained same year wheel/airbag with buttons.

I know I need wire kit# 61120016012
I found on ECS here:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/61120016012/ES161712/#

It doesn't appear to contain this harness from the DIY posted here
What is the part number for this harness?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cable set.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	561662_nr_
May-39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #127
cooler_bh

My Ride: 316ti 2004
You don't have to buy any wire set, you can make it yourself. Only things that you need is three wires with different colors, approximately 2x 1m and 1x 2m, and some old computer cables like this on this picture above, and you can search for old floppy power cable for those pins on pictures on ecs site.

If you want diy I can post here?

)
cooler_bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #128
May-39

Diy

I'm pretty sure I have the DIY from here in addition to the pdf.

Question #1-Is there just one wire set, such as the ECS kit or are there two?
I thought the little set I had pictured ran from bottom of column to wheel and there is another harness that plugs into loom below headlight and in firewall
yes?
no?

Last edited by May-39; 06-11-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #129
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by May-39 View Post
I'm pretty sure I have the DIY from here in addition to the pdf.

Question #1-Is there just one wire set, such as the ECS kit or are there two?
I thought the little set I had pictured ran from bottom of column to wheel and there is another harness that plugs into loom below headlight and in firewall
yes?
no?
The wiring harness you posted is for connecting under the steering column.
It has wires for going to the light control model and into the engine box.
You also need the cable between the multifunction switches and the top of the steering column (if it didn't come with the wheel).

If you got the round airbag the part number for the connecting line is 61318386947
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...6947/ES168287/

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...98&hg=32&fg=35

Last edited by Cazz; 06-11-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #130
May-39

Sqaure Bag

I bought the square wheel.

Cazz, thanks, that's what I thought. That appears to be the harness I posted in my first pic that isn't included in the ECS pic/kit.

Mine did not come equipped with said harness.

Do you know if part #5 in diagram - 61318386947 $30.43
will work with the square bag as well?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #131
Cazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by May-39 View Post
I bought the square wheel.

Cazz, thanks, that's what I thought. That appears to be the harness I posted in my first pic that isn't included in the ECS pic/kit.

Mine did not come equipped with said harness.

Do you know if part #5 in diagram - 61318386947 $30.43
will work with the square bag as well?
Here is the diagram. It is either #6 or #8

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...46&hg=32&fg=35

Last edited by Cazz; 06-12-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #132
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
Get information, I just disconnected the battery and am heading down to go from a Sport to an M wheel.

Update: It took about fifteen minutes to install and is one of the best upgrades that I've done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M Wheel.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	561857  

Last edited by tcphoto; 06-12-2014 at 06:20 PM.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #133
May-39

Thanks for the assistance

Thanks,
Like everyone else, much prefer to have all parts on hand once work begins.

Thanks everyone
Old 07-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #134
Johan deon

My Ride: BMW 318i E46
Hi

I have a 2000 model BMW 318i, it came with no malfunction steering wheel. Instead a square shaped Airbag, so today i went to the scrap yard and bought a round airbag wheel with the buttons. My problem is when i tried it out it did not work i cant control my radio. What is wrong or what must i do. I am aware about the cruse control needing extra wiring but i don't want that i only want to use my radio from the steering wheel.
Can anyone please help me????

Regards Johan
Johan deon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #135
Cazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan deon View Post
Hi

I have a 2000 model BMW 318i, it came with no malfunction steering wheel. Instead a square shaped Airbag, so today i went to the scrap yard and bought a round airbag wheel with the buttons. My problem is when i tried it out it did not work i cant control my radio. What is wrong or what must i do. I am aware about the cruse control needing extra wiring but i don't want that i only want to use my radio from the steering wheel.
Can anyone please help me????

Regards Johan
You have to do the wiring retrofit. You need the i-bus controls hooked up.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #136
Johan deon

Quote:
You have to do the wiring retrofit. You need the i-bus controls hooked up.
Okay. Do you know what to do?Can you explain or send some pictures? Sorry I am new to all this just started with upgrading my baby.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #137
Cazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan deon View Post
Okay. Do you know what to do?Can you explain or send some pictures? Sorry I am new to all this just started with upgrading my baby.
Buy part number 61120016012
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...6012/ES161712/

Download the PDF file in post #10

Do what it says in post #1 and the pdf file.

You will run 3 wires. They all go to a plug under the steering column. From there 2 wires tap into the wiring behind the light switch. 1 goes into the engine bay for the cruise.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #138
Johan deon

Quote:
Buy part number 61120016012
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...6012/ES161712/

Download the PDF file in post #10

Do what it says in post #1 and the pdf file.

You will run 3 wires. They all go to a plug under the steering column. From there 2 wires tap into the wiring behind the light switch. 1 goes into the engine bay for the cruise.
Hi

Thanks, will do. Late night working on the car just cost me. Removed the slip ring but forgot to put it back correctly now its ripped out.