E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #21
Green_Shine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North
Posts: 373
My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Probably pulling the trigger on this Denon X3000. Refurbed and I've heard very good things about the seller.
The Onkyo is sold out (for the price I'm willing to pay) and the comparable Marantz sold out within the past few days...makes my decision easier.

http://www.accessories4less.com/inde...%3A1%3BN%3B%7D
Denon is good, it has air play which the Onyko didn't. It was a small sacrifice for me.

Here is the Onyko 717 for $499, thing is a beast and I couldn't be happier with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2GA0XM9009

I'm utilizing the 2nd and 3rd zones for my office and game room. I control them with the Harmony Ultimate and wall plates.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...class=Receiver

BTW, I have all my Polk speakers setup and it sounds incredible. I literally watched movies all Saturday lol.
__________________
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #22
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,523
My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Denon is good, it has air play which the Onyko didn't. It was a small sacrifice for me.

Here is the Onyko 717 for $499, thing is a beast and I couldn't be happier with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2GA0XM9009

I'm utilizing the 2nd and 3rd zones for my office and game room. I control them with the Harmony Ultimate and wall plates.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...class=Receiver

BTW, I have all my Polk speakers setup and it sounds incredible. I literally watched movies all Saturday lol.
Nice...glad to hear they are doing the job. What kind of sub did you end up getting?

I'm still debating on what to do speaker-wise. 90% sure I'll probably go with Polks, but for a few bucks more, Paradigms and some low end B&Ws are in reach. I'll be in this house easily 10-20 years, so whatever I buy, I want to be happy with it...I know Polks would be plenty of performance for me.

I'll have to start a thread on my basement progress soon...about to start framing and electric in a few weeks. Prep work has taken a while since it is already finished.
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #23
Green_Shine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North
Posts: 373
My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Nice...glad to hear they are doing the job. What kind of sub did you end up getting?

I'm still debating on what to do speaker-wise. 90% sure I'll probably go with Polks, but for a few bucks more, Paradigms and some low end B&Ws are in reach. I'll be in this house easily 10-20 years, so whatever I buy, I want to be happy with it...I know Polks would be plenty of performance for me.

I'll have to start a thread on my basement progress soon...about to start framing and electric in a few weeks. Prep work has taken a while since it is already finished.
I was pretty limited on my sub selection as it was going into a built-in entertainment center, placed behind speaker mesh (17"x15"). Opposite sides have custom cabinet doors to hide equipment, pretty cool. I ended up with the Polk DSW-440 because it fit and wasn't 1k..

Calibrated it sounds pretty damn good, deep lows with no popping. Down the road I may hook up an additional via wireless somewhere else in the room and spend more money on it.

I like Paradigm, I have never heard any Bowers though. IMO unless you're getting the absolute top of the line of any particular brand, it's really splitting hairs on which speaker is the best as the "best" is selective to your hearing.

I went with Polk simply because it was a speaker I always liked but I also could higher end refurb speakers and save 60%.
__________________
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #24
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,963
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Polk is the Honda of Speakers. Very hard to beat for the money.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #25
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,523
My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Polk is the Honda of Speakers. Very hard to beat for the money.
I tend to agree with all of the things you claim are a good bang for the buck. Since this is what you do for a living, I'm sure you're right on the money here too!

I'd rather have a solid performer than chasing something with a more flashy name...only a few friends will know the difference or ask anyway

Thanks for the input guys!
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:47 PM   #26
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
Very happy with my new HT setup, just finished it off in Jan 2014 with the rear surrounds.

TV: Samsung 8xxx series, couple years old 46" LED (would like to get a bigger one and move this to bedroom)
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR818

Klipsch Reference Series Speakers (left covers off, copper cones and black finish look better lol.)
Fronts: RF-82 II
Center: RC-62 II
Surrounds: RS-52 II

Sub: Velodyne 12" (old, will be replaced eventually but not critical as it's worked like a champ for 15 years)
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 02-02-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #27
ryanwhite74115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,779
My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
Sub: Velodyne 12" (old, will be replaced eventually but not critical as it's worked like a champ for 15 years)
As long as the rubber surrounds are good and you are satisfied with the performance don't change it. Seriously...some of the best sounding speakers and subs are old ones. I have a Velodyne working on about 8 years DPS-12 and wouldn't "change" it at all. Just food for thought.
__________________
(\ /) or \(`' )/
( . .)
c('')('')
ryanwhite74115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #28
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,523
My Ride: reclining rear seats
For my rear channels in a 5.1 setup, I'm wondering if it is better to have them mounted in-ceiling a couple of feet behind viewers, or if in-wall would be better, at identical height to the front in-wall. Distance on those is about 10' to the rear....12-13' from the front (as reference).

Suggestions/advice?
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #29
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,963
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
For my rear channels in a 5.1 setup, I'm wondering if it is better to have them mounted in-ceiling a couple of feet behind viewers, or if in-wall would be better, at identical height to the front in-wall. Distance on those is about 10' to the rear....12-13' from the front (as reference).

Suggestions/advice?
I assume you are saying your living room is around 23 ft deep and the couch is 13 feet from the tv and the back wall is 10 feet behind the couch.

If so....

I would do rear wall. I like distance behind rears for diffusion. If you sit under the left rear you get left rear. If you sit 10' in front of left rear, you have more chance of right rear. It fills the area better and is not as picky to where you sit.

JMO.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 02-07-2014 at 07:06 PM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #30
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,523
My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
I assume you are saying your living room is around 23 ft deep and the couch is 13 feet from the tv and the back wall is 10 feet behind the couch.

If so....

I would do rear wall. I like distance behind rears for diffusion. If you sit under the left rear you get left rear. If you sit 10' in front of left rear, you have more chance of right rear. It fills the area better and is not as picky to where you sit.

JMO.
Yes, your understanding of my setup is correct. Thanks for the guidance....I think I'll be doing in-walls for the rear channels. Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Separately, after doing a lot of reading (probably too much), I think I've decided on a Hsu Research subwoofer, specifically the VTF-3 MK4. It is more than I planned to spend, but by all accounts is extremely versitle (tunable) and gets rave reviews. I figure this is an area where I'll splurge a bit more than I typically would.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html

__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #31
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,963
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Yes, your understanding of my setup is correct. Thanks for the guidance....I think I'll be doing in-walls for the rear channels. Your explanation makes a lot of sense.


By the way, your set up is almost exactly the same as mine.

14 ft from couch to front wall
14 ft from couch to rear wall

4 inwalls (lc265i) in the front (left, left center, tv, right center, right)
2 inwalls (lc265i) in the rear
2 subs (one on each side of couch in the center of room)

I also have two rear in ceilings (for 7.1 originally, but I added them to rears for 5.1)

You will be happy. I bought the house specifically for this room for HT.

__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #32
Green_Shine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North
Posts: 373
My Ride: Back seat riding
I wish I could have done rear walls, had to do angled ceiling speakers.

What speakers and receiver did you get?
__________________
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #33
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,523
My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
I wish I could have done rear walls, had to do angled ceiling speakers.

What speakers and receiver did you get?
Ended up getting the following:

Receiver: Denon AVR-X3000

Fronts (L/C/R): Aperion Intimus 6-LCR...basically doing 3 center channels that I will mount vertically behind the screen

Rears: Aperion Intimus L6-IW

Subwoofer: Hsu Research VTF-3 MK4


All speakers and the sub are being shipped now and will arrive this weekend.

I looked very hard at the Polk setup, but the refurbs were out of stock for part of the setup I wanted. Either way, this will be a lot of bang for the buck.

Now I'll add the XBox One in a couple months when this project is wrapping up and call it a day.
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use