E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
Buffer Recommendations

Can I find a good one for under $50?

How useful are these things? I have no experience

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
e46hellrot

My Ride: e46
here. http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html
Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlackE46 View Post

Hi JetBlack,

It's very hard to find a good polisher for $50 or under, even if it's a used Porter Cable 7424 random orbital. As mentioned, the Porter Cable 7424xp is a great starter unit, especially when paired with 5.5" pads. We have some pre-made kits available, such as the Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" Starter Kit, but I'd be more than happy to put together a custom kit for you with a couple polishes and appropriate pads.

To further answer your questions, the Porter Cable 7424xp polisher is very useful because it speeds up any paint polishing compared to doing it by hand, but even more so because it can accomplish much better results than you could ever get by hand.

You're basically looking at obtaining the following in order to properly polish your paint:
- A polisher such as the PC 7424XP
- 3-4 different types of pads and probably anywhere from 3-6 of each type, depending on your car size (I prefer 5.5" foam pads as they work really well with the PC... they're large enough to make quick work of polishing and small enough to correct swirl marks and other defects really well)
- 2-4 different polishes that work well with your paint (for jet black you usually need 3 different polishes as it can be very finicky so you want to be prepared)
- 10-20 microfiber towels for removing polish residue

Hope that answers your question and as I said, if you'd like I'll be more than happy to put together a kit for you.

Thanks!
Ivan @ DI
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
crazyafghanguy

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:

i used this. worked good for the price. u can also get a 20% off coupon make it cheaper. its not that hard, just time consuming

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-va...her-69924.html

01 M3
Black/Black 6 Speed
Style 95
Amber All Around
Ac Schnitzer Muffler
ZCP Brake Upgrade
crazyafghanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage.com View Post
Hi JetBlack,

It's very hard to find a good polisher for $50 or under, even if it's a used Porter Cable 7424 random orbital. As mentioned, the Porter Cable 7424xp is a great starter unit, especially when paired with 5.5" pads. We have some pre-made kits available, such as the Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" Starter Kit, but I'd be more than happy to put together a custom kit for you with a couple polishes and appropriate pads.

To further answer your questions, the Porter Cable 7424xp polisher is very useful because it speeds up any paint polishing compared to doing it by hand, but even more so because it can accomplish much better results than you could ever get by hand.

You're basically looking at obtaining the following in order to properly polish your paint:
- A polisher such as the PC 7424XP
- 3-4 different types of pads and probably anywhere from 3-6 of each type, depending on your car size (I prefer 5.5" foam pads as they work really well with the PC... they're large enough to make quick work of polishing and small enough to correct swirl marks and other defects really well)
- 2-4 different polishes that work well with your paint (for jet black you usually need 3 different polishes as it can be very finicky so you want to be prepared)
- 10-20 microfiber towels for removing polish residue

Hope that answers your question and as I said, if you'd like I'll be more than happy to put together a kit for you.

Thanks!
Ivan @ DI
Thanks Ivan!

How much of a difference does a polisher make as compared to hand polishing? Will it make my paint really glossy? My paint is in very good condition now, I just want it to be shinnier. I'm look for the deep dark wet look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyafghanguy View Post
i used this. worked good for the price. u can also get a 20% off coupon make it cheaper. its not that hard, just time consuming

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-va...her-69924.html
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Thanks Ivan!

How much of a difference does a polisher make as compared to hand polishing? Will it make my paint really glossy? My paint is in very good condition now, I just want it to be shinnier. I'm look for the deep dark wet look.

Thanks!
No clue how I missed this post, I apologize for the slow response.

The difference in machine vs hand polishing is huge. Aside from the obvious ease of use and quicker results, the polisher is able to better level the paint and remove more defects. I'm not sure about the situation of your paint at present in terms of swirl marks or other paint defects, but the best way to make paint shinier is to correct these defects and let the actual color come through. This can be done somewhat easily with a polisher. Hope that explains it and again sorry about the slow reply.

Ivan @ DI
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
mastercraft1990

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I'm going to look at one at the one at Harbor Freight, have read some good reviews on them, around 60.00. Not bad for a couple times a year and for 9.00 you can get a 2 year extended warranty.
mastercraft1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
SilvaBimma

My Ride: 330Xi
HF isnt bad for the money especially if you use it once a year.
SilvaBimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #9
Marion Haggard
Banned User

I have Honda Hybrid and mostly i wash my car myself. I used PKC0VC Car Polisher 6" for my my car. It's very cheap i get this only $18. It's cheap and perfect for any car. I saw a car dealer used this machine for their cars shining. So that is the reason i get this machine and it's working very well.
Marion Haggard is offline   Reply With Quote