E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Dazza335iC

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 335iC
"sub" woofer idea, will it work?

Hi everyone,

Forgive my ignorance on this as it's my first time attempting to build a stereo system mostly on my own, but I had an idea I want to get some input on. I've got an '02 330Ci coupe with HK sound, and the plan is as follows:

Eonon GM5150 HU
GAS e46 crossover
Soundstream TN5.950D amp

I've had several GAS subwoofer boxes over the years and they are AMAZING, but in this case I can't afford to loose the ability to fold down the rear seats. So i'm thinking of possibly replacing the stock HK 6x9s with something like these Alpines or these CDTs and running them in parallel off of the amp's SW channel (420w). Along with some careful insulation work around that plastic housing in the trunk, I think it might just deliver some adequate base in to the cabin without sacrificing trunk space. It's not the same as a dedicated SW, but the cone area is remarkably similar to a 10" (42.4 sq in each for the 6x9s, vs 78.5 sq in on a 10"). Obviously I'd need to run new wires to the speakers but that's easy, and I'd have the ability to control their power with the amp's sub control knob.

Has anyone tried something like this before? Anything I'm missing? Will 420w be too much for either of those speaker sets, and what impedance will I need to make it all work? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Dazza335iC; 02-26-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
d33p

My Ride: zcp
Those 6x9 are 100w rms....your amp is 430w rms so its overkill but if you keep the gains down it will work.

Id try to use a sub enclosure that mounts above the battery rather than 6x9's.
d33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
In a nut shell, yes, it would work. 6x9 speaker has a cone are slightly less of an 8in sub. The best would be to fit 8in free air sub on the parcel shelf.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Dazza335iC

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 335iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by d33p View Post
Those 6x9 are 100w rms....your amp is 430w rms so its overkill but if you keep the gains down it will work.

Id try to use a sub enclosure that mounts above the battery rather than 6x9's.
The only SW box I've seen like that is from BavAuto, and while i'm sure it's good quality I can't imagine spending $400 on an empty box :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ilia View Post
In a nut shell, yes, it would work. 6x9 speaker has a cone are slightly less of an 8in sub. The best would be to fit 8in free air sub on the parcel shelf.
I'm assuming this would require some cutting of the sheet metal, and I'm hoping to make everything reversible.
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC View Post
I'm assuming this would require some cutting of the sheet metal, and I'm hoping to make everything reversible.
Not necessarily so, you can also install subwoofer and fire it through the ski hole. Flat and free air capable sub will not take much space.