E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
thegenius46m

My Ride: E46 M3, E63 M6
Question Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine Coupe Front Door Fitment

So I am looking to get these for my front doors and was wondering how they fit in the M3? I know the 6.5" speakers will be fine after some adapters, but my main concern is the tweeters. Does anyone know if they can fit within the stock tweeter location without substantial modifications? I can't seem to find anyone who has done it yet.

http://store.12velectronics.com/imag...l-speaker-set/

Purchased:11/13 with 58k miles

Last edited by thegenius46m; 02-20-2014 at 01:58 PM.
thegenius46m is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
kgvickers

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
There's plenty of space behind the "sail" panel grill to make it work, but those tweets won't fit in the stock tweeter mounts.

Get some plumber's tape (metal "tape" with holes) and hot glue, two sided tape, or whatever else you've got lying around your shop. It shouldn't take too much effort to hold them in place. There's a piece of foam in that area, you'll need to cut the opening in the foam a bit, but it should be fairly easy to make something work.

Just give Hybrid Audio a call, I bet they've fielded this question before.

Are you using the stock HK amp or going aftermarket?

All my advice comes with a 10x Golden Money Back Guarantee! If you're not completely satisfied, I'll gladly refund 10 times what you paid me for the advice!

'03 330i ZHP, Mine
'04 330i, Wifeypoo
'98 328i, Son
'08 Focus, Daughter (ok, no longer in a Bimmer)

'99 528iT - RIP, You will be missed (thanks to a 17 yo driver in a 'burban)

Last edited by kgvickers; 02-20-2014 at 04:24 PM.
kgvickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
thegenius46m

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgvickers View Post
There's plenty of space behind the "sail" panel grill to make it work, but those tweets won't fit in the stock tweeter mounts.

Get some plumber's tape (metal "tape" with holes) and hot glue, two sided tape, or whatever else you've got lying around your shop. It shouldn't take too much effort to hold them in place. There's a piece of foam in that area, you'll need to cut the opening in the foam a bit, but it should be fairly easy to make something work.

Just give Hybrid Audio a call, I bet they've fielded this question before.

Are you using the stock HK amp or going aftermarket?
Will be going with aftermarket amp once I decide which one I want. Do I need an LOC if using the stock headunit? And I am not planning to run subs.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #4
thegenius46m

I'm thinking I'll buy some HK pillar grilles and mount the tweeters in that location like this guy did. Saw an individual who mounted them there without the grilles, but I'm going for the OEM+ look.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...udio-treatment

Old 02-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
kgvickers

Hmmmm . . . I just recalled something - you don't have tweets in the A-pillar, right? Those HK grills that you see in the sedans are part of the door trim and I don't know if you'll be able to directly swap those into your coupe.

I'd recommend you go with an aftermarket amp with a fully balanced, differential input. I've used a few Alpine amps and they worked just fine without an LOC. I simply spliced RCA plugs on the stock wiring (removed from the stock amp in the trunk) and connected that directly to the Alpine amp. Note the following quote from the forum thread you posted:

"The Blaupunkt VA4100 amplifier was installed using the CD43's balanced differential output. All of the neccessary wires are available in the trunk of the car, so running new cables to the head unit or speakers is not necessary. The passive crossovers included with the Clarus component set were also mounted in the trunk and connected to the factory speaker wiring."

Somewhere on one of these forums I saw a list of "balanced-input" amps that are compatible with the stock head unit. If I can find it I'll edit this post with the link.

You can read more discussion here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...tial-HU-output

All my advice comes with a 10x Golden Money Back Guarantee! If you're not completely satisfied, I'll gladly refund 10 times what you paid me for the advice!

'03 330i ZHP, Mine
'04 330i, Wifeypoo
'98 328i, Son

Last edited by kgvickers; 02-21-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
StereoInstaller1

My Ride: 4 door demo booth
Yes, please do go read that post on BF.c: BMW does NOT use balanced differential.

Please, for the sake of future enthusiasts and car audio upgrade hopefuls around the world, please stop repeating that nonsense.

Go read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Balanced requires 3 wires, BMW has 2. End of debate.

Luke
StereoInstaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
BananaHammock

My Ride: 2004 Phoenix Gold M3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_line

Quote:
In telecommunications and professional audio, a balanced line or balanced signal pair is a transmission line consisting of two conductors of the same type, each of which have equal impedances along their lengths and equal impedances to ground and to other circuits.[1] The chief advantage of the balanced line format is good rejection of external noise when fed to a differential amplifier. Common forms of balanced line are twin-lead, used for radio frequency signals and twisted pair, used for lower frequencies. They are to be contrasted to unbalanced lines, such as coaxial cable, which is designed to have its return conductor connected to ground, or circuits whose return conductor actually is ground. Balanced and unbalanced circuits can be interconnected using a transformer called a balun.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914

Last edited by BananaHammock; 02-24-2014 at 11:14 AM.
BananaHammock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
kgvickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
Yes, please do go read that post on BF.c: BMW does NOT use balanced differential.

Please, for the sake of future enthusiasts and car audio upgrade hopefuls around the world, please stop repeating that nonsense.

Go read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Balanced requires 3 wires, BMW has 2. End of debate.

Luke
I think whether "balanced signal" means two wires or three wires is a matter of context. Long microphone runs commonly use three wires. My research (and experience) in general audio like car stereo means two wires.

In the BMW CD53, the "grounds" or "returns" for the speaker outputs are not referenced to chassis, meaning that they are not at the same potential / they are not "tied" to the chassis. Futher, the returns, all four of which are "BROWN with a narrow ORANGE stripe" wires, are not tied to each other internal to the radio despite all being the same color.

So I don't know if that means they are balanced, and/or differential, or both. I would be happy if someone would tell me the proper term for that signal. However, based on BananaHammock's wiki quoted above, I'm inclined to call it a "balanced signal pair".

Just for reference, if you look at any AudioControl product manuals, they mention "balanced" vs "unbalanced" inputs. And those have nothing but RCA (two connector) inputs and outputs.

What I am absolutely 100% certain of: If one chooses the right aftermarket amp, an LOC (Line Out Converter) IS NOT necessary for the CD53! I've tried a commonly recommended LOC and I personally think it actually had a detrimental impact on the SQ. So I avoid them if at all possible.

I've had success simply taking the four channels of output from the head unit, splicing them into RCA plugs, and then putting them directly into the "line-level" inputs of the amp. I've been happy with Alpine amps. They are cheap second-hand on craigslist and readily available. I'm not going to claim they are the best SQ but my ancient, part deaf ears are happy with them.

'03 330i ZHP, Mine
'04 330i, Wifeypoo
'98 328i, Son

Last edited by kgvickers; 02-27-2014 at 03:49 PM.