E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
GuyG

My Ride: '99 328i SE auto
328i Stereo cutting out

As per title.

It cuts out and won't come back on unless it wants to, sometimes days!

Usually interference comes throught the radio for a while before is does cut out. Other times it can be working and then when I get back into the car after I have been away from it and start it up the stereo is dead.
I have also noticed at night when the interference starts the illumination lights on the steering wheel buttons die. On the flip side, the other day after turning the car and the lights off the steering wheel lights stayed on!!

I thought it may be the standard business radio/cassette so I replaced it with an 'off the shelf' JVC unit but the problem persists. Also occasionally you can hear a bass murmer from the rear speakers (this car does not have the Harmon Kardon amp/speakers).

Without wanting to pull the whole dash out does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Guy

Last edited by GuyG; 01-25-2013 at 09:01 AM.
GuyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
GuyG

bump.........anyone?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Try the BMW approved reset process:
- disconnect the battery ground cable
- disconnect the battery "+" cable
- short the two cables together for 10 minutes
- reconnect the "+" cable to the battery
- reconnect the ground cable to the battery

You'll need to reset the clock.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
GuyG

Done the battery disconnect and terminals together sequence as above and no change.

Anyone else with an idea?

Last edited by GuyG; 02-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
my car did this a couple times, right before the alternator died.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
GuyG

Its been doing this for about 3 months now and I've done nearly 2,000 miles in that time. You might be right though.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Mine does this as well, sound would go from one side of the car to the other when I was using the CD changer in the trunk. I use the radio or business cd and all is good.

My bet is that its the connector going into the amp, or the amp itself.

I haven't checked mine, not enough time or good weather to tear into it.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
GuyG

My car does not have the additional amp. It had the basic business radio/cassette but I have now replaced it with a JVC unit on the hunch that the old set was at fault.......still no change though.

Last edited by GuyG; 02-20-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
GuyG

Update

Replaced the slip ring behind the steering wheel thinking that might be causing the fault...........no change.

Looks like the dash might have to come out!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
GuyG

Thread update for the sake of conclusion.

I noticed alot of PAS fluid leaking from the pipes under the PAS reservoir/filter. Replaced the OE clips with good hose clips, cleaned all excess black filth from alternator and surrounding area.
Also discovered the seal behind the passenger side (RHD car) front door card had been cut open and not sealed back together. I discovered this by noticing the base of the card below the speaker was soggy (perhaps damp speaker wires causing havoc?). Sealed it all and checked door drain holes clear.

Ever since doing all this work there has not been any electrical gremlins and all is well.

The hoses under the PAS reservoir are still leaking very slightly but not enough to drip onto the alternator! Going to replace the reservoir and hoses soon as general maintenance.

Last edited by GuyG; 03-02-2014 at 10:22 AM.