E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #121
GrafSpee

My Ride: e46 330xi
I have the problem with the checksum even when the GS20 EGS .
However, I try it another way.
I use a program by which the data for the ECU to be created.
It generates from the *. 'm Oda * and * opa files .
When you create a signature may or must be created.
This signature is read from a file. (*. xml)
In the development phase of the software is running unprotected .
So unsigned or with a free code in the signature.
With a 0000.xml signature , it is possible legwork without checksum .

The checksum is stored in the operating system .
With the same signature code, the files must be created for the customer memory.

There are three sections for storage .
The boot area (BAF , OBA )
The operating system area . (PAF , OPA)
The mapped area . ( DAF, ODA)

I think that the boot area complete the SPI is .
I must explore the area in which takes place the calculation.
I'm sure if you can not write the serial range with WinKFP .
If it is possible , you could try and flash without signature.

GrafSpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #122
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
http://www.madi-auto.ru/company/articles4/6/

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #123
Thaniel

My Ride: 99 323i, 93 357i
Here's an XDF from the A2L

Hello everyone,

Thought I would add some here. Being new to ECU tuning I'm trying to learn what I can. One thing I've done is to take the A2L that was posted on the web and turn it into a XDF. It has been a good learning experience. Actually converting the MS43 was my second conversion. I did the MS42 first. I use excel to more or less convert it in bulk. It does require some hand tweaking but it's manageable. I've posted a copy of the MS43 (and an MS42) XDF on my google drive along with a .bin file that appears to mate fairly well with the data.

Link to my google drive
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B...Ut1YkJlZUN6cmc

Hope the XDF is useful.

Personally i'm more interested in the MS42 at the moment but would like to help with the MS43 as well. To me, a beginner, it seems there are multiple versions of the MS43 DME. Would it make sense to make a list of all the versions and then create XDF's for each one? We could also include the information mentioned in this thread. Though I'm often unclear what software version it applies to or if it applies to all of them. I'd be happy to consolidate if someone can clear it up for me.

With the data the way I have it I could translate the existing XDF to the other addresses for other MS43 software versions IF someone could supply the addresses for the maps, curves, axis points and scalers in the other DME. (I'm in the process of trying to match up the MS42 for the 323i using a 323i A2L).

I'll also throw this out there, if someone wanted to offer their knowledge on MS42's I'd like to learn some of those things that no one seems to want to post :-)

And I'm still unclear on if or how we can calculate a checksum in TunerPro

Thaniel

Last edited by Thaniel; 04-24-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Thaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #124
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
ms43 xdf looks good. Problem is that you can't flash the full flash as of now.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #125
jolaine

My Ride: E46 330 cabrio
Awesome. Everybody should share openly like this instead of using information only for themselves. It benefits everybody. Id love to do things on my bmw that are everyday possible on my Honda with hondata K-Pro & stock ecu. I'll definitely contribute in any way I can.

What's left? Doing xdf for all the versiona and a free for all checksum calculator?
jolaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #126
Thaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
ms43 xdf looks good. Problem is that you can't flash the full flash as of now.
Glad they look good. I don't have the experience to know if any of the info looks correct.

I expect most people won't need to do a full flash. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like a partial .bin can be loaded and the XDF still used. Someone with more TunerPro experience might no better. For sure one could extract just the part of the .bin they want and use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolaine View Post
What's left? Doing xdf for all the versiona and a free for all checksum calculator?
From my very inexperienced view our needs are:

-A good easy way to calculate checksums.

-Need understand what the maps, curves actually really do. Or at least find the ones that do what it is we want to do. And validate that the addresses we have are correct (test).

-And create the information (XDF) for the versions of software that we want to tune.

As a side note. Seems most everyone is keyed into TunerPro. But there is another free piece of software I came across that can read an A2L file directly. http://jnachbaur.de/ASAP2Demo/ASAP2.html It's another tool to look at. Doesn't solve the above problems but it does make such pretty graphs .

Thaniel
Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #127
Thaniel

Hello all. Me again.

Seems many things I learn about the MS42 A2L apply to the MS43. In this case it is the way the data is set up in the tables. Row wise or column wise. The A2L clearly states"FNC_VALUES 1 UBYTE COLUMN_DIR DIRECT". But in using the software that uses the A2L and Tunerpro the data does not look right.
Some more detail in my post here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...5&postcount=24

Here are 2 examples from the MS43. Column wise on the left (per the A2L) and row wise on the right. Row wise has to be correct.

I'll be posting updated A2L's and XDF's on my google drive. I've also noticed that none of the MS43 .bin's I have match the A2L exactly. The MS42 ones I'm looking at match much much better. If someone has a selection of different version .bin's from the MS43 take a look and see if one fits better. we could translate one into the others but need a very good matching one to start with.

Thaniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MS43_Col_vs_row.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	557098   Click image for larger version

Name:	MS43_Col_vs_row2.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	557099  

Last edited by Thaniel; 05-05-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #128
Thaniel

Updated MS42 &MS43 .A2L and .XDF posted https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B...Ut1YkJlZUN6cmc

Last edited by Thaniel; 06-25-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #129
Codeman

My Ride: 325xi, M Roadster
What ZUSB code would I need for my car? It's a 2001 325xi manual (M54 engine) and I want EU3 emissions. Would it be any of these? The only one with EU3 also says Japan and Automatic...

Codeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #130
randallcr

My Ride: 330ci
Hello

Hello.

Guys, I've been reading a lot about ms43 DME development in this forum and I must say that you guys have done a lot of work , congrats , is good to see dedicated people working on this, Hakken and others, I understand the work finding the maps, I've done it before for other cars and its hard work ...
After reading this and other posts I came up with some questions , hope someone can help me out.

I read that after reflashing DME after 12 times , DME will not let reflash anymore , unless is partial flash ? , I use KWP2000 , I bought a galletto cable also but its on its way . using kwp2000 will make this count go further until it locks ?

I never had problems with checksum cause I never had to recalculate them myself, so , in this case , Using hakken xdf and my downloaded bin file I modified maps and as expected car wont start because checksum was not recalculated , then , I read that you can do that with winols , I tried but not succesful probably because its the free version I believe. I read also that somebody here created a small win32 app to correct the checksum , should I get that ? and that will work for all checksum correction I need in the future ? this app works only with ms43 ?

then I guess the last one is regarding the o2 sensors , there is no oem manifold anymore in my car , I bought the car and it came with headers ... so o2 sensors are getting my check engine light on all the time , what can you do here ?

Thanks in advance for all the help. my car is a 330ci e46 2001.
randallcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #131
phatty123

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbyte View Post
DTC removal on ms43 are not more difficult on ms43 than the mssXX, you just have to spend some time to understand how the dtc`s are stored in the file.

You can not expect it to be at the same format as the mssXX, that would be too easy

use 30 minutes (i`m slow ) and you would understand it, there is already posted an ols file with a few dtc`s disabled here on this forum.

Hi a bit of a newb to this side of the world, I have a spare ms43 to play with, I copied the ISN # by copying the 3ED0-3EEF from original into the DME used for experimenting. After I sync ISN with a scantool and car runs, it has the wrong vin but I'm not concerned about that. What I want to experiment with now is DTC removal. I spent some time researching by doing hex compare of different ms43 full dumps from the flash chip.

I dont have winols software so I wasnt able to use the file in the first post to see how its done in winols. Can you share a hint to point me in the right direction?
phatty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #132
jony787

My Ride: 318ti M52tu SWAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty123 View Post
Hi a bit of a newb to this side of the world, I have a spare ms43 to play with, I copied the ISN # by copying the 3ED0-3EEF from original into the DME used for experimenting. After I sync ISN with a scantool and car runs, it has the wrong vin but I'm not concerned about that. What I want to experiment with now is DTC removal. I spent some time researching by doing hex compare of different ms43 full dumps from the flash chip.

I dont have winols software so I wasnt able to use the file in the first post to see how its done in winols. Can you share a hint to point me in the right direction?
Finally someone beside me found how to virginize DME, in case you didn't know. Change those 6 bytes to FF and you got a virginize DME ready to align.
jony787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #133
RCase
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i Touring
Are there any learning BMW DME for dummies threads? I would like to learn specifically about the interfaces, the parameters, how the architecture works et al.

I appreciate anyone's advice!

Mobile Post
2001 Touring
2005 M3 Very
Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #134
Thaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty123 View Post

Thanks for joining the conversation. Are you able to write 3ED0-3EEF through the OBDII port or does it require removing the Chip from the DME? just FYI incase it means anything. On my 330i only 3ED4 - 3ED9 have data. The rest are FF's (for a considerable distance before and after)

I started to look at the DTC removal on the M DME thread. But I wasn't sure if that portion of the DME could be accessed through the OBDII port. What have you found in regards to equiptment required to change them?

Thaniel
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #135
Thaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCase View Post
Are there any learning BMW DME for dummies threads? I would like to learn specifically about the interfaces, the parameters, how the architecture works et al.

I appreciate anyone's advice!
This one for the MS54 is the closest thing I've seen
http://www.mss54.info/scripts/DME%20...o%20v0.0.3.pdf
Old 06-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #136
phatty123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
Thanks for joining the conversation. Are you able to write 3ED0-3EEF through the OBDII port or does it require removing the Chip from the DME? just FYI incase it means anything. On my 330i only 3ED4 - 3ED9 have data. The rest are FF's (for a considerable distance before and after)

I started to look at the DTC removal on the M DME thread. But I wasn't sure if that portion of the DME could be accessed through the OBDII port. What have you found in regards to equiptment required to change them?

Thaniel
I use hot air to remove the memory then read it. I still haven't found how the dtc are stored.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #137
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jony787 View Post
Finally someone beside me found how to virginize DME, in case you didn't know. Change those 6 bytes to FF and you got a virginize DME ready to align.
Not true. With FF all you do is erase the alignment code. Alignment code must match the EWS3.3 unit.

Quote:
I copied the ISN # by copying the 3ED0-3EEF from original into the DME
Yes, that is what you have to do to virgin ecu to make it possible to align.

PS. all DTC codes are inside the partial read flash and they are easy to erase.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #138
phatty123

Plus that won't fix the vin it's not far from isn but it's encrypted. I don't really care about that I'm using a spare dme to experiment
Old 06-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #139
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
The formula for encrypting the VIN has been revealed some time ago and terraphantm wrote a programm to claculate it.

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #140
phatty123

I believe I found it just need to try it out. Girlfriend driving the car now need to get it back to test it out