E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Any guess on how much to replace siding?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/41...d5c20da8910ac0

House is 2150 sq feet. I've read online anywhere from $5k to $15k.

Got one quote for windows and siding and it was 22-25k. Windows alone were $7k. I dunno...getting another quote from someone we know in the next week but any experts have any idea?

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 03-09-2014 at 10:17 PM.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
A dozen different things will alter the price

Best advice is to obtain NO LESS than 6 quotes
That will tell you the high and low end of cost

Also the quality and professionalism of the bidder

Don't be shy to ask for a material/cost breakdown either
So you can compare appropriately and know what quality/type of materials they plan to use

The low bid isn't always the best nor is the high bid

Find out their process, time to complete, materials warranty, etc
Not really important what their workmanship warranty is...
Once you pay them in full, consider them vapor.
No lawsuit is worth it so be happy and satisfied with the job before paying them

20% down to start max
30% halfway through job
50% when done and inspected

Feel free to post them on here when you get them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 03-10-2014 at 12:23 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
ryanwhite74115

Oh we are trying to figure out if we can even save for it. I'm kinda of freaking out. Inside of house was basically completely renovated (minus carpet ) but I've just now started on the outside. Trim is junk, masonite is probably original to home (19 years old now) and is rotting, disentegrating.

We've only got about 25% equity into the home as it's our first (28 years old). I dunno what the hell we are going to do.

I really hope Fayetteville gets a hurricane that "accidentally" rips off 3/4 of the siding.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
Oh we are trying to figure out if we can even save for it. I'm kinda of freaking out. Inside of house was basically completely renovated (minus carpet ) but I've just now started on the outside. Trim is junk, masonite is probably original to home (19 years old now) and is rotting, disentegrating.

We've only got about 25% equity into the home as it's our first (28 years old). I dunno what the hell we are going to do.

I really hope Fayetteville gets a hurricane that "accidentally" rips off 3/4 of the siding.
Yeah, it can be overwhelming sometimes, I have done my share of renovation work and I have wanted to throw in the towel many times. It is tough when you don't have the money, materials or skills but it can be done.

I restored the exterior of a 1910 house that had been sided over in the 60's, it was painful, but when I was done it really didn't cost a ton of money (I would be less than 5k) but I had to remake a bunch of historical features that are just not sold any longer.

I removed all the 60's siding(asbestos no less), tar paper, staples tack nails and whatever else down to the cedar clapboards. All the cedar clapboards were filled, sanded smooth and refinished as it would have been new.

It was a crazy project and I basically did a little more than one side of the house per summer, so it took almost 3 years. I learned a ton and took a ton of pride in how well it turned out.

Just remember it does not all have to be done right away. Take it one project at a time- perhaps tackling the trim first would be a good way to dive into this.

If you decide to have a pro do this, make sure to buy best materials possible (hardy board or cedar IMO) and top notch tradesman, don't go the cheap route you will regret it.

Best of luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	549348   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0693.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	549350   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1085.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	549351  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
ryanwhite74115

Well I dunno what this tells you but my house on the exterior walls has steel studs instead of wood studs. As far as we could tell from one chunk of siding "peeling" up and/or away, the Masonite was not walled/nailed to plywood but instead this black sheetrock/paper (1/2 inch thick) like material. One contractor said that that's not bad per se but it makes it a PIA for install because you can't nail or reapply siding at random. It's going to have to line up with the studs, and even then, since they are metal it's going to be even worse.

Any thoughts on what the middle material is?