E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Mike Larry needs some medical advice (what would you do?)

I've mentioned on this subforum several times that I suspect that I've had a pinched nerve or carpal tunnel because I frequently experience numbness/tingles/loss of feeling in my right shoulder which extends all the way down to my right hand.

I decided to finally be an adult about it and see a neurologist instead of "walking it off" this year and the results have all come back negative. After some MRIs, an X-ray, and a nerve test (sends electrical pulses up and down your arm and reads the reaction from your nerves), my doctor concluded that I have some minor carpal, a slightly off-kilter neck, and that my nerves react a bit slow, all of which are too minor to explain the constant discomfort I feel.

At this point, he's asked that I get some bloodwork done and to have a follow-up appointment next month. I don't go to the doctor very often so I'm pretty inexperienced about stuff like this. However, I suspect the whole bloodwork route is just a shot in the dark and I'm not going to get better if I follow through with continued treatment from a neurologist. Would you guys give up hope and just deal with the pain, continue to see a neurologist, see a different type of doctor, or do something else entirely? I have a high-deductible insurance policy, so this stuff ain't cheap, but I can afford the medical bills.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 02-10-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1392054499
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
Try a chiropractor (key word, try). I live in Brickell and go to one here, I recommend it if you would like to try it out
Work on upper spinal, neck, and shoulder mobility.

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ

Last edited by 325rider; 02-10-2014 at 12:22 PM.
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Acupuncture

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
If the problem doesn't seem to be local, my bet is tight scalene muscles. They have referred pains similar to what you're describing. Try massaging, there are some very good youtube videos that explain how to.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
I've mentioned on this subforum several times that I suspect that I've had a pinched nerve or carpal tunnel because I frequently experience numbness/tingles/loss of feeling in my right shoulder which extends all the way down to my right hand.
I thought I had either a pinched nerve or carpal tunnel and I went to see massage therapist. He said if it was a pinched nerve it would be like fire going up and down my arm into my hand and it was most likely carpal tunnel.

I'll guess that right arm is your mouse hand and you sit at a desk all day. I'd take the carpal tunnel self test. You can find them on youtube. If you put on one of those wrist things for carpal you'd notice it goes away.

Anyways the numbness I was feeling was a result of the way I used my mouse at my desk. It caused certain parts of my shoulder, arm, wrist, and hand to tighten thus causing restricting bloodflow and causing those tingles. This guy kneaded the crap out of the affected areas and boom my carpal tunnel went away. I also bought a ergonomic keyboard and got a trackball.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Mike Larry

^i've been thinking about giving in and seeing a masseuse. i always felt like it was more for pleasure/relaxation and not so much for healing, but i dont know what else to do.

so would you guys give up on the neurologist route? i'm guessing some bloodwork and a followup appt wouldnt cost too much, but it's just time out of my day that i don't particularly want to spend
Old 02-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
^i've been thinking about giving in and seeing a masseuse. i always felt like it was more for pleasure/relaxation and not so much for healing, but i dont know what else to do.

so would you guys give up on the neurologist route? i'm guessing some bloodwork and a followup appt wouldnt cost too much, but it's just time out of my day that i don't particularly want to spend
Try self massaging for a week and see how you feel. Seriously, do it. What do you have to lose?

Don't go to a masseuse because most don't know much about trigger points. Chiropractor may be a bit better in that sense.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
Did you even take the carpal tunnel self test?

Quote:

Old 02-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Mike Larry

i've done it before, and it says i don't have carpal tunnel. my doctor also already confirmed that carpal tunnel wouldn't be the culprit for the types of discomfort i'm feeling, since mine originates all the way from the neck/shoulder and causes numbness towards my pinky and ring finger
Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
Quote:
i've done it before, and it says i don't have carpal tunnel. my doctor also already confirmed that carpal tunnel wouldn't be the culprit for the types of discomfort i'm feeling, since mine originates all the way from the neck/shoulder and causes numbness towards my pinky and ring finger

good luck brother

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Sounds like a nerve being hit by a disk bulging in the neck. I'm not a surgeon or anything, but I know I could properly sterilize a razor blade...and I've always liked you, buddy, so if you'd like me to go in and have a look, just let me know.

Seriously, though...I wouldn't go to anyone other than a real doctor to figure out what it is before you try different things.

If it is a disk bulging, though, typically they'll fix themselves in a few weeks...and to help it along, try large doses of advil...or whatever anti-inflammatory works for you. I will take 800 mgs of ibuprofen after I've done something to tweak my back...next a.m. I'm usually fine. Hot baths...get someone to massage you...maybe you'll get lucky. If not, seriously, see a real doctor before basically self-diagnosing/fanatics diagnosing and picking a cure based on that.

Let me know if you want me to operate...drink heavily before because I don't have a license or a way to put you to sleep.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Mike Larry

i think i'm going to see a normal physician and start from square one.
i can't go on for the rest of my life like this