E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
riverjamie

My Ride: 528i
Yewzer, thanks for the tip. I've done that before. But the last time I pulled the car into the garage and forgot to back it in. What a mistake. I've been communicating with another guy that had luck using Seafoam Trans Tune, then ATF, and filter change. 7K so far no leaking out of breather. He also put in Valvoline Maxlife so thinking about doing the same.
riverjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
SanDiegoE46Girl

My Ride: 1999 328i Sedan
Yeah - the truth of it is that, as long as you don't lose too much fluid, you can go a really long time with this problem. The car drives fine, and the rest of the tranny is healthy. So, you can eke it out for quite a while. I'm at the point where I want to find out what it will cost to fix it, but you could go for a while if you don't lose too much fluid.
SanDiegoE46Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
2000 e46 GM Auto Tranny Spews Oil!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverjamie View Post
Yewzer, thanks for the tip. I've done that before. But the last time I pulled the car into the garage and forgot to back it in. What a mistake. I've been communicating with another guy that had luck using Seafoam Trans Tune, then ATF, and filter change. 7K so far no leaking out of breather. He also put in Valvoline Maxlife so thinking about doing the same.
Yah I saw the other thread with the seafoam also. I would be tempted to try that process.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
riverjamie

SanDeigoE46Girl, did you get your problem fixed yet? If so what did the trany shop do to stop the leaking out of the breather? I haven't done the ATF and filter change yet. Thanks

Last edited by riverjamie; 08-29-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
SanDiegoE46Girl

My Ride: 1999 328i Sedan
Hi, riverjamie.

As a matter of fact, I just got a call from the transmission shop yesterday afternoon. It was not particularly informative, since I pretty much already knew what they had to tell me. in a nutshell, there is something leaking inside the tranny, and it's going to have to be opened and inspected. Not really news, is it? I'm a bit disappointed, because just opening it up for diagnosing the problem is expensive. They have said that the actual fix is probably inexpensive (no more than a few hundred dollars, though on top of the diagnosis, that feels like a lot).

I just wanted to not have to worry about it, but I'm not sure that was the right decision. It would be much cheaper to warm up the car, not start in reverse, or try the Seafoam. But there is definitely a leak in the tranny somewhere, and I don't want to take chances.

I'll let you know what they find. I've asked for specifics as soon as they have them.
SanDiegoE46Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #26
riverjamie

SanDiegoE46Gril, just curious did you get the car back? What did they find inside? I'm getting ready to do the Trans Fluid change and filter. I might also remove some of the solenoids and see if some of the screens are clogged? thanks

Last edited by riverjamie; 09-07-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
riverjamie

Update on ATF leaking out of breather GM trany

SanDeigoGirl, just wanted to give you an update on my GM trany leaking out of breather. I did a full trany flush, by flushing out of the return cooler line. Also installed new filter and Dexron 6. Well it went for a month (400 Miles) without a leak. Then the other day it leaked, not a lot, but any leak is not a good thing. So I guess I'll have to have it rebuilt. I really thought I was out of the woods, that the longest it's every went.

How did you make out with your trany? What did they find? If you don't mind me asking how much did they charge you to do the rebuild?

Thanks

Last edited by riverjamie; 10-10-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
///M Protocol
Banned User

My Ride: i3
maybe I am stating the obvious but the leaking from the tranny can occur in these areas:

-leaking oil pan gasket
-leaking seal on output shaft
-leaking seal on torque coverter shaft
-most importantly....leaking atf on the transmission vent tube on top of the bell housing
///M Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #29
riverjamie

Yes your correct in my case it comes from the breather on top of the trany.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #30
riverjamie

Fyi Update on ATF leaking out of Breather

Well I still have the problem. It does not seem to do it when cold if I start it in neutral, drive, neutral, then reverse. But can't be sure if it's doing it while driving?

After 2000 miles it's lost about 6 ounces. I jacked up the car yesterday, warmed it up to correct temp 98 and opened fill plug, no stream, it didn't need much but still 6 ounces? So not to comfortable with that. I was thinking about installing a extension tube, if I can, to the top of the breather and running it up under the hood to a tank. But not sure if the fluid will just go back down into the trany if when the pressure drops or not? I just can't see taking in a good working trany and having the whole thing rebuilt for this.

Last edited by riverjamie; 03-19-2014 at 09:36 AM.