E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl, no roof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspoo View Post
How would you set this up? Two furnaces - A/c's ? With their own separate vents. Would cold air/warm air be interfering causing balancing issues
My parent's house has this for upstairs and downstairs, they have entirely different runs for each zone and two thermostats. Each tstat controls the furnace and/or the AC and a baffle shuts off or turns on each run for each zone as needed.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #22
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
FYI I have had my version 2 since July and haven't had any issues. The app on my phone some times doesn't seem to be able to connect to the Nest (Appears to be an issue with there server). Other then that thing works flawless. They just released a line of smoke alarm...... Kind of want them, but for the price and the number I need it isn't worth it.

https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/life-with-nest-protect/
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #23
dava92

My Ride: 01' Jetta
I have a Gen 1. One of the best things I bought for the house. I love checking how long the ac/heat ran for the day before....
dava92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #24
zhpfan4life

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouf View Post
FYI I have had my version 2 since July and haven't had any issues. The app on my phone some times doesn't seem to be able to connect to the Nest (Appears to be an issue with there server). Other then that thing works flawless. They just released a line of smoke alarm...... Kind of want them, but for the price and the number I need it isn't worth it.

https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/life-with-nest-protect/
Their new CO and Smoke detectors are much needed innovations in a market that has stayed the same for years. The only thing that needs to be done further is to make these interoperable with an alarm system. Would enhance survival in a house fire (letting them know where the danger is so they can find a safe way out) and can also keep them from suffering from CO poisoning.

Eurospec Exhaust, 19"VMR VB3's, Tint, BMW Performance CAI, and more to come...
zhpfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #25
JTLaz

My Ride: 2010 Wrangler 4 Door
Tempted to buy one of these for my new house. Any other members pick one up recently that can speak for the second generation models?
JTLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #26
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Still no issues on my end. I'm confident it has updated, but have no real way of knowing. The Nest updates automatically unlike my WeMo light switches that only update when I open the app. For anyone thinking about the Nest I still highly recommend it.
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #27
SamDoe1

I have the Honeywell smart t-stat and it works awesome. I think it's a bit cheaper than the nest but doesn't come with most of the gimmcky (IMO) features. It does have all the important stuff and doesn't try and tell you to be green or anything.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #28
JTLaz

My Ride: 2010 Wrangler 4 Door
Was there a noticeable difference in electric bill before and after?
JTLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #29
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I was very interested in one but heard there are some serious glitch issues that can occur in the event of (and as a result of) a power outage. Some customers complained of the heater and central air both on at full blast in a fight to control temps.

Waiting for version 3.
This..I wanted one but read about waaaay too many issues. I hate learning, smart, or programmable thermostats so I have a $20 robert shaw that keeps the temp I set and has selectable threshold settings which is all I want. It looks cool, but it's not for me.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #30
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLaz View Post
Was there a noticeable difference in electric bill before and after?
I've always had a programmable so this doesn't make any real appreciable difference in energy bills. FWIW, I have gas heat and electric (obv) AC.

Again, this is with Honeywell not Nest.

The biggest aid is with Wifi connectivity and ease of use. It's really easy to set away times, hold times, and it reminds you to change filter and humidifier pads at whatever interval you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
This..I wanted one but read about waaaay too many issues. I hate learning, smart, or programmable thermostats so I have a $20 robert shaw that keeps the temp I set and has selectable threshold settings which is all I want. It looks cool, but it's not for me.
Honeywell I have has been flawless since the day I installed it. No issues or gripes with it. Nest has had lots of glitches.

You will save a buttload of money by going programmable.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #31
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I've always had a programmable so this doesn't make any real appreciable difference in energy bills. FWIW, I have gas heat and electric (obv) AC.

Again, this is with Honeywell not Nest.

The biggest aid is with Wifi connectivity and ease of use. It's really easy to set away times, hold times, and it reminds you to change filter and humidifier pads at whatever interval you want.

Honeywell I have has been flawless since the day I installed it. No issues or gripes with it. Nest has had lots of glitches.

You will save a buttload of money by going programmable.
Disagree, it's a scam to sell more smart thermostats. I believe Mythbusters even had an episode on it, along with flipping lights on/off vs leaving em on.

Letting a house heat up or cool down only to have to raise/lower the temp by a huge margin (like 15-30 degrees) eats A LOT more energy then it does to maintain a 1-2 degree fluctuation. My house does a pretty good job of keeping the temp in, and my units kick on around 3-4 times an hour...I have my thermostat set to a 2 degree variance.

Tha above is my opinion and after many years of central forced air systems in my homes. After a while, I always end up ripping out the big expensive thermostat and replace it with a cheap one that works without any programming.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #32
SamDoe1

Definitely not a scam. Do some more research from legitimate places. The light bulb effect is the same, you save more money having the light bulb turning off and on rather than leaving it on the whole time. Same thing applies to heat, you save more by turning heat off and on rather than leaving it on the whole time. You most definitely save more by having 8hrs of lower temperature and then spend 20 minutes raising the temp than you would if you just left the heat high. Your HVAC system doesn't have a throttle, it's either off or on so it's using max energy while it's on and no energy while off. Having your unit kick on 3-4 times an hour while you're home and 1-2 times an hour while not home will save money accordingly. Also, the higher the temperature differential between inside and outside, the higher the rate of heat loss. Here, we are definitely saving money with the programmable. Previous owner said his bills dropped by 20% by using the programmable.

The myth is that you spend more money raising the temp once a day rather than keeping it the same the whole time.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-21-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #33
NFRs2000nyc

I've done this test numerous times. It takes MUCH more energy (we're talking 1-2 hours of straight running) to bring back the temp, especially if you have an older home that isn't well insulated and the home gains/loses substantial temp (30+ degree). Not only does the home heat up, but everything IN the house heats up as well, requiring the items to be cooled, or vice versa. I've tried it numerous times, and there has been zero savings (usually cost me more money) and you have the added bonus of having your home slightly uncomfortable for a while until the temp normalizes. Maybe my homes have been highly inefficient in the past, but the concept doesn't apply anywhere, to any appliance, ever, and I don't believe it applies to HVAC as well. I have never, in all my years, have had anyone one of my relatives prove to me with their bills that this works. Just my .02.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #34
NFRs2000nyc

Wait wait wait....just want to make sure we are arguing the same thing here....are we talking about shutting the unit off when you are not at home, or simply turning the temp a few degrees less than you normally have it set at?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #35
SamDoe1

Quote:
Wait wait wait....just want to make sure we are arguing the same thing here....are we talking about shutting the unit off when you are not at home, or simply turning the temp a few degrees less than you normally have it set at?
Lowering the temp. In the winter, I have my house set at 67 when I'm home, 58 when I'm not home, and 62 while sleeping. In the summer it's 78 when home, 85 when not home, and 75 while sleeping. If I'm gone for an extended period of time, temp goes to when not home level.

Shutting off the unit would result in a rather large plumbing bill when the pipes burst from freezing.

I agree that shutting everything down is a dumb idea, but lowering the temp by 7-10 degrees when you're not home will save you a ton of money.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #36
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Lowering the temp. In the winter, I have my house set at 67 when I'm home, 58 when I'm not home, and 62 while sleeping. In the summer it's 78 when home, 85 when not home, and 75 while sleeping. If I'm gone for an extended period of time, temp goes to when not home level.

Shutting off the unit would result in a rather large plumbing bill when the pipes burst from freezing.

I agree that shutting everything down is a dumb idea, but lowering the temp by 7-10 degrees when you're not home will save you a ton of money.
You have a single zone unit or multi zone homie?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #37
SamDoe1

Quote:
You have a single zone unit or multi zone homie?
Multi. One for main floor, one for basement (I have a rambler).