E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
325xi Instrument Cluster

Looking for some help on my 2003 325xi Instrument Cluster. All of a sudden, nothing in the cluster works (except for ABS lamp and Seat Belt warning lamp): no tach, speedo, water temp, fuel, car icon, battery, back lights of cluster, OD, Trip OD, clock, etc. Fuses 10, 34 and 43 checked (all checked ok), but replaced with new fuses (didn't solve problem), all other fuses were also check. Car starts and runs perfectly, door locks, seats, windows, A/C, Heat, defogger, radio, turn signals, 4 -ways, all exterior lights work; just nothing in the cluster. Anyone experience this before? The "High Amperage Fuses" located above main fuse block were not checked as according to Bentley, should have no bearings, so relays were checked, again as everything on a relay works and thus should have no bearings. (The E-Box fuses were checked and all tested ok, but they also should have no bearing on the problem).

I'm suspecting 1 of 2 things at this point; a firmware problem (some how it got partly skewed), or a major failure of the instrument cluster printed circuit board.

Shows no fault codes; - - after running Fc test with Bav Auto Fault Code Reader.

Prior to this (car was used yesterday, Tuesday and problem was seen today, Wednesday) everything on car worked and worked correctly, no fault codes, no check engine or service engine lights.

Those with insight can respond directly to: tomoyer@verizon.net
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
Try the cluster test out yet...

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
tomoyer

Thanks for the reply. I watched the video and then went to the car, turned the key to the second position and held the left button for several seconds, nothing happened at all. Not sure what to check next with this problem!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
tomoyer

Update on Dash Cluster not working; did the dash cluster test a second time and all lights and gauges functioned. Rechecked fuses including the 3 for the Instrument cluster and those for the ABS system, all ok. Pulled cluster out and cleaned and re-seated the 2 wiring plugs. Upon starting the car and taking for a short test drive, everything works with the following exceptions; Speedo, Odometer, Trip and Mileage Gauge. Possible bad sensor and/or too much moisture in plug? (have not had time to check as it has been raining cats and dogs here the last 3 days)

Is the speed sensor on the rear diff like E30s or is it using one of the ABS sensors, doing double duty? Not too clear in Bentley Service Manual.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
ronster206

My Ride: BMW 325xi
im also dealing with the same problem. i have a BMW 325 xi. let my car sat for 3 weeks. started my car, and found any of the guages not working in instrument cluster. the only light is the ABS and airbag lamp. ived check connection (2 harness)to the rear cluster and 3 fuses to glove box. no defect found. im also thinking maybe moisture got into the connection to cluster?? its been cold and rainy here in seattle. TOMOYER haved you figure it out>? any body experiencing the same>>? or tips? ideas? i all ready tried the cluster test. no luck.
ronster206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
tomoyer

I was getting some moisture in the car and it was making for poor connections at back of cluster..........removed both wiring harnesses, dried them out and used contact cleaner to clean them and no problem since.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
hiroxbmw

My Ride: 325xi
i just wanted to say i had the identical problem on my 2003 325xi manual. i replaced the vanos seals, but snapped vanos retaining bolt. the car sat for a couple of weeks waiting for replacement parts. when i got everything back together, the entire instrument cluster was dead (no odometer / tach / lights EXCEPT ABS and airbag).

the car was outside in the rain, with the hood closed but not latched, and i did notice some water under the hood and even a small amount in the glove compartment. fuses for the instrument cluster looked ok, disconnected and reconnected the battery and the car started ok. i let the car dry out for a week, but still no instrument cluster. i pulled out the instrument cluster and noticed the xenon headlights would occasonally turn on by themselves when i plugged the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster back in.

finally found some threads suggesting a weak battery can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins, especially affecting the instrument cluster. i considered the possibility that the battery weakened over the two weeks the car was not in use, and replaced it. happily, that fixed the problem. i favor this as the final cause over wet connector in my case.

just wanted to add to this thread because the solution wasn't particularly obvious, and there a number of odd instrument cluster problem threads that seem to have wound up fixed by replacing the battery. i even went so far as to find a used instrument cluster on ebay for $50, but did not need it.
hiroxbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:46 AM   #8
ronster206

325xi instrument cluster

Thanks for sharing . I went and removed the instrument cluster again and this time i removed the connection from behind and sprayed the connector with electric cleaner then smeared dielectric grease . Then plugged it back in...then it worked!!!!!!!!!. Drove me crazy for the longest. I was almost going to buy a instrument cluster for $1500 I think moist/wet got in. For some reason after ... I never had a problem since. I think oh it happened was I let my car sat out in the rain... And my weather seals were worn... Ive notice my carpet would get wet every time ...
Old 03-20-2014, 03:49 AM   #9
ronster206

Oh by the way....thanks to tomoyer. (Instrument cluster inop. Abs, airbag light only on) fixed!