E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #41
phildobaggins

My Ride: 2001 325xi Wagon
Still pretty sick but bored of sleeping and watching top gear. Removed my old pilot bearing, tapped in the new bearing. Installed new flywheel but only snugged down bolts. I will need a helper to hold the crank bolt.
phildobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #42
SilvaBimma

My Ride: 330Xi
Gluck to you dude! I'll have to subscribe to make sure I replace everything besides the clutch/flywheel parts.
SilvaBimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #43
phildobaggins

I'm starting to feel well enough to mope around the house and do house work today. My wife has agreed to be my helper tomorrow and help my hold the crank bolt while I torque the flywheel etc... My packages keep getting lost so I'm going to move forward with the old clutch slave and replace/bleed the line in a few weeks when the replacement has arrived. If I can get the transmission back on without much fuss I should be driving the car tomorrow night. I'll report back tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #44
phildobaggins

Flywheel Clutch Torque Specs

Flywheel to crankshaft set to 77 Ft lbs
Pressure plate to flywheel set to 25 ft lbs
Old 03-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #45
phildobaggins

Yesterday was a disaster.

With my wife helping I got the flywheel torqued down, clutch aligned and flexplate on.

Here is where it broke down. I ordered flexplate bolts from azautohaus and they supplied me with standard / sae hex bolts. My 6mm metric hex appeared to fit perfectly but after snugging them all on and then giving the proper torque most of them stripped out. After 3 I knew it wasnt just me so I hammered on my 6mm and got all but 1 off.

I went to harbor freight and picked up an sae set and will hammer on the equivelent size in hopes there is enough still to bite onto. If not the head is small enough my bolt extractor sockets should be able to bite into it.

Luckily the old flexplate 6mm bolts are in good condition.

Now I have to reset the SAC, I figure i'll get the plate off and then put the locking plate back in using a breaker bar and a lot of body weight over it on the ground. I know I need to turn the adjuster plate counter clockwise. I found some instructions here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=629140

The other bad issue was after aligning the clutch disc and gently removing my alignment tool my pilot bearing decided to come out along with the tool leaving the bearing to flop around.

All in all this has been a complete failure, however, This just means I get to recheck that my rear main and rear most area of the oil pan are still not leaking, re-seat my pilot bearing and figure out how to reset the SAC. I feel as though everything that can go wrong has gone wrong and by the end of this journey I will be a fully fledged e46 clutch expert
Old 03-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #46
phildobaggins

good news. My flex plate came off with relatively little fuss. However my plans at compressing that spring were wayyyyyy out in fantasy land. That spring is stiffer than justin bieber at a george michale concert. I just ordered a replacement which is free, just need to ship back the old unit. With a project that has been delayed weeks whats another couple days right.

It also appears I definitely indeed have a leak at the rear main or rear side of the oil pan gasket. this gives me another opportunity to tear it out and re install it.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #47
phildobaggins

Now that whatever sickness I obtained is going away and my new clutch kit is coming in Thursday I am ready to knock out this project.

I will definitely have the leak fixed/starter plate/flywheel/pilot bearing/clutch and plate installed Thursday night. I may or may not attempt to install the transmission that night however my buddy may come over this weekend and we can finish it all out. Once the trans is on I can probably get car running in less than 2 hours.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #48
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Awesome dude, congrats on finishing this project by yourself. Major props for doing so.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #49
phildobaggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Awesome dude, congrats on finishing this project by yourself. Major props for doing so.
Not done yet sir

Hopefully this weekend will be it.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #50
phildobaggins

Cleaned up all the loose tools under the car in prep for finishing this out Saturday with my buddy. Car has been sitting for about 10 days without being touched, Damn the illness that went around work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed[1].jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	551719  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #51
SamDoe1

Do you have the whole car lifted or just the front end?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #52
phildobaggins

Quote:
Do you have the whole car lifted or just the front end?
The entire car is nearly evenly lifted. The passenger side rear jack pad was missing so I am using a hockey puck. The front I would guess is 23.5" jacked and the rear is 22.5 jacked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0280.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	551731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0282.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	551732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0284.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	551733  
Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #53
SamDoe1

Good, I left only the front of my car jacked for a week and all the fuel came out of the fuel rail and back into the lines/tank. Took a few times to prime the pump before it fired up again.

Thought I'd warn you in case you did the same thing.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #54
phildobaggins

Quote:
Good, I left only the front of my car jacked for a week and all the fuel came out of the fuel rail and back into the lines/tank. Took a few times to prime the pump before it fired up again.

Thought I'd warn you in case you did the same thing.
That's actually a good tip though that I had not thought about. I'm thinking by now my batt is probably pretty low/dead/dying.

REMINDER TO PRIME FUEL PRIOR TO STARTING.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #55
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildobaggins View Post
REMINDER TO PRIME FUEL PRIOR TO STARTING.
Do it several times before you try to turn the engine over, gravity is a cruel mistress.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #56
phildobaggins

Decided to do some pre-work for the big push tomorrow to knock out this god forsaken project.

I put in my new slave clutch.

Used a fuel line clamp to close off the clutch line from leaking/air.

installed the new slave and bled until only new fluid was in the system.

The new slave piston came dislodged somehow. Fail. Put in the old slave after draining all the old fluid from it and put in the new slaved rod in place of the old ones beaten meat stick.

bled again to get any air out of the system.

I figured i'd knock out the 3 new secondary air pump mounts but looks like amazon failed me. These pump mounts are different. I'll just tape it down later, fudge it this is my beater car when I don't want to ride a crotch rocket.

I moved onto the Guibo on the tranfer case for the rear drive shaft. Oh no my 18mm wrench is only boxed. I lost some tools at my last apartment, some of them were stolen. My open ended 18mm wrench must have been one of them. Oh well I got the old one off and new one off just not torqued to spec.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER TO CHECK THE TORQUE ON THE GUIBO.

I then looked at the transfer case mount. That is definitely not coming out without a press. I'll save that one for later.

I took another look at my oil leak. Looks like after I tighten up everything last time it has not leaked a drop. If it is leaking its extremely slow. I can live with this as long as when we fire up the car tomorrow its not leaking badly.

Fun stuff.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #57
phildobaggins

I'm so effin tired. here we go:

My buddy came over saturday, long story short we fitted the trans like 10 times, and could not get the starter to align on the dowel properly. 8 hours.

Sunday, I hired a professional mechanic to come out and help me. We got the starter on. $150 (3 hours of labor)

I starter to put the rest of this project together. get the trans bolts torqued. The top right transbolt is hidden until you re-tighten the motor mounts so it straightens out the trans.

I start trying to tighten the passenger top motor mount nut. it just spins and spins. i losen the other side up and go back to the pass side, still spinning. I take my impact to it and its spinnin like no tomorrow. So I back it out and it pulls out the stud. The stud had come lose in the old motor mount.

Ordered a set of motor mounts, 4 new m10 flange nuts for the mounts, new intake flex tubing since mine dry rotted and a couple other under hood hose related items.

This project is never ending. But at least I dont have to touch the car for a week while I wait on parts.

THE CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION ARE IN THE CAR AND BOLTED TIGHT. I'm only missing the top right bell housing bolt, once that is in and the new motor mounts are torque'd which will align the godforsaken transmission I can end this madness and drive this piece of crap out of my garage

PS feels like my right shoulder has blown out.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #58
phildobaggins

I also ordered a odb2 scanner so I can figure out all the other crap that broke along the way on this project once I fire it up
Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #59
phildobaggins

Returning a few parts.

I should get my new motor mounts this week. Unfortunately the new nuts for the those mounts wont be here until next week.

My 2nd new clutch slave will be here today, first replacement imploded.

Its getting close.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #60
phildobaggins

Replaced intake piping.

2nd new clutch slave going in tonight.

Motor mounts arrived, waiting on replacement flange nuts.

I'll drain and refill the trans and do as much as I can since i'm waiting on motor mount nuts so I can actually align the motor/trans.