E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Complete Cars

Complete Cars
List your BMW or other cars, trucks or vehicles for sale.

Don't forget to search for deals on craigslist and eBay Motors

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
DSpencer18

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci (ZHP)
Send a message via AIM to DSpencer18 Send a message via Skype™ to DSpencer18
Talking Hard Top Convertible, Manual, Low Miles

I am looking for a hardtop convertible BMW. I am not picky on the age, just anything that is 06+ with less than 100k miles. I am a new when it comes to convertibles, but I have heard that the 335 comes with a turbo version. I would like leather heated seats and navigation if possible, and manual transmission. Please PM or post what you have. Thanks.

Willing to look at my dream car...loaded, manual 2006 m3.

Also grateful for any tips/knowledge on the subject.

Thanks.

2005 BMW 330ci (ZHP)

• Has: - BSW d210 Subs/Amp - iSimple Ipod Integration - Smoked Side Markers - Smoked Reflectors - LED White Interior Lights - Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs - Hardwired Valentine V1 Radar Detector - AVT Ram Air Scoop - BMW Performance Intake - BMW Performance Short Shifter Kit -
    - Lambda Chi Alpha Zeta Phi 1067 and E46Fanatics.com stickers. -
  • DSpencer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
    Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
    Solo118

My Ride: '12 MDX, '03 CLK500
    Send a message via AIM to Solo118
    You would only be looking for an E93 as it's the only BMW with a hardtop vert

328i or 335i

Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
    DSpencer18

I have done some research. What about the 335is convertible twin turbo 6 speed? is it hardtop? Thanks!

2005 BMW 330ci (ZHP)

• Has: - BSW d210 Subs/Amp - iSimple Ipod Integration - Smoked Side Markers - Smoked Reflectors - LED White Interior Lights - Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs - Hardwired Valentine V1 Radar Detector - AVT Ram Air Scoop - BMW Performance Intake - BMW Performance Short Shifter Kit -
    Old 04-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
    beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
    heard bad stories about the twin turbos going for a dump at 70-90k, costing a fortune...
    Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
    princetonprep17

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP
    I just came from an E92 (coupe version) 335i (twin turbo) and you will not be disappointed with the car. And yes, the 335is is a hardtop convertible. Any 328/335 BMW convertible 2007 or newer is going to be a hard top convertible.

Here's your full run down on the 07 + E9x cars....

With regards to the 335is, you get the M-sport performance package standard (suspension, M-tech front and rear bumpers and side skirts), brake cooling ducts, Stage 1 BMW HP kit (bumps HP approximately 20 HP as I recall), special carbon fiber look trim (think ZHP), 19" special wheels and performance tires, and the biggie is the DCT transmission. Honestly, for the premium you pay for the 335is, you're better off going with a M3 in my opinion. The other big benefit to the 335is is that it comes with N54 motor, as opposed to the N55 which comes with 2010+ 335's. The N54 is a true twin turbo (big turbo and small turbo so you are in the boost power band pretty much throughout the entire RPM range) and offers the most performance for modding. The N55 is a twinscrew turbo that provides better reliability though. I had the N54 and with proper maintenance, that motor was bulletproof in my experience.

Steer away from the 07-08 335's unless they have a substantial maintenance history that shows the fuel pump and turbo's have been replaced with the updated versions. They suffer from a high rate of high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) failures and also of turbo waste gate rattle (sounds like you have a baby rattle under the car). By 2009 they had these issues sorted out. 09 was also the first year that BMW switched from the iDrive system (which in my opinion was so-so). The updated version (called CCC I believe) was much much better and gives you things like traffic alerts and re-routes when there was an accident/construction/etc. It's worth going to an 09+ for this alone in my opinion. In short, if you want a car that has good HP potential when modded, only look for 09's. If you want reliability and good power, look for 10's+.

If you're dead set on the convertible, do yourself a favor and completely rule out the 328. The added weight of the convertible and lack of structural rigidity makes the 328 vert a lackluster car to drive. I knew all the service reps at my local dealer and anytime I brought my car in for service they would always give me a 328 convertible. Nice to drop the top, but the thing had absolutely no balls and was not fun to drive. Hope this helps.
    Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
    DSpencer18

Thank you for the response. Still hunting! haha. Thanks again.

2005 BMW 330ci (ZHP)