E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Love Line

Love Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Icyhot1

My Ride: 330i
Unhappy Problems with girlfriends ex-husband

Sooo My girlfriend has been divorced for 2 years and of that 2 years we have been going out for one.
She has a child with her ex husband which the share custody 1 week she has the child the other week he does.

The reason they got divorced is from what she told me they were never happy and he put hands on her. Every time he calls her about their child it turns into a argument.

So she told him about me and that she wants me to introduce myself to him since im going to be around their child. So I say okay and I call him.

Dude immediately starts going off on me like I did something to him. I could even get a word in. Then he goes off saying he wants something in writing that doesn't say im a murder or a gambler or a child molester. So im cool and say okay dude whatever and hang up the phone.

A couple of months go by and since he gave me that speech I haven't been around their child so on the weeks she has her child I don't come by I keep it to text and phone calls.

A couple of months pass and she wants me to call him again so I call him and I'm being cordial and he jumps into shouting at me on the phone so I hang up.

I tell her about this and all she says is yeah he is a asshole but you have to do this.

It seems pretty obvious to me this dude hates me and hasn't even met me or he just has anger issues.

I love this woman but I just feel like maybe she is divorced on paper but not in her mind she seems to be scared of him.

Not sure what to do.....

What would you do ?
Icyhot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Nothing. That's your options.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Ask yourself a tough question: Can I deal with this situation the rest of my life.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Icyhot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Ask yourself a tough question: Can I deal with this situation the rest of my life.
I'm not sure
Old 03-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
You could go on Jerry Springer, Maury or another one of those day time shows to air your sh!t. You've put yourself in this position by getting involved in a situation that involves these factors. Not aiming to be rude about it, however it's what you signed up for. Don't take it personally. You are banging this dudes ex and there is a child involved, not many people are cordial about such things and going to roll out the red carpet.

It is truths such as these that make me very hesitant when involving myself with girls with kids and ex husbands and the like. If you truly feel the way that you do about this women, know it is something you will have to deal with from this point on. Be as cordial as you can with him, don't go giving him any ammunition in the situation by yelling/getting confrontational with him.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icyhot1 View Post
I'm not sure
Then you're probably not ready for this or should get out while you can.

Also, who are you really?

No one comes on here with a question like this after signing up this month and having zero posts.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-28-2014 at 01:17 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
tonycajjo

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
sucks, but this pretty much sums it up.
tonycajjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
rjskalet

My Ride: TiAg M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Then you're probably not ready for this or should get out while you can.

Also, who are you really?

No one comes on here with a question like this after signing up this month and having zero posts.
Everyone knows e46 OT is the place for honest advice
rjskalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
it's not up to you to try to win this dude over. but you did your part and initiated contact on more than one occasion.

it sounds to me like she's trying to stir **** up to be honest.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
217Bimmer
Banned User

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
what?!! why the fvck are you calling her ex?

tell that asshole if he ever wants to see his kids again he better shut his damn pie hole before you play the taped conversations to a lawyer
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
why do you "have to do this"?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
NOVAbimmer

also, it sounds like she has good cause to be afraid of him.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
IFX
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: AW //M
sleep with both of them.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
Icyhot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
why do you "have to do this"?
He says if we eventually move in together its some kinda of agreement they have.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icyhot1 View Post
He says if we eventually move in together its some kinda of agreement they have.

An agreement that you have to talk to him?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #16
Icyhot1

A agreement that he has to talk to her new significant other and the same for her since that person will be around their child
Old 03-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #17
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
well guess what? you tried to satisfy that agreement on a number of occasions. tell her to have him contact you when he feels he can hold a conversation like an adult.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #18
johngreaver

My Ride: 02 325i
I went through something similar with my current wife and her ex over my now step son. I just ignored the dads aggressive advances and treated the kid good eventually he came around and were on good terms now

Sent from my LG-LS970 using BimmerApp mobile app

Pre 03 AUX IN DIY

"Also I seen a honda with an intercooler on the front that i wanted on my car. I know i dont have a turbo or supercharger ,but can I still but one on my car , I think it would atleast get me 10 or so hp."
johngreaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Dude speaking from experience...this is not your issue. It is her issue!!!!! It is her past baggage. If it were me I would tell her she needs to get her baggage in order asap otherwise walk. It is not your job to woo over the ex husband. Sure there is a kid involved but it is not like you are taking the kid on solo trips to the zoo or to the circus. My guess is that she is always around when the kid is around. Hence why this is her issue not yours!
Old 04-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
Interlagos

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3
In almost all standard settlement agreements (i.e. divorce papers) there is a clause in there about new relationships/introducing the child/cohabitation, etc. This is standard and it protects the other parent from the other bringing too many people around the child and/or living with someone not being married. In other words, it makes each party consider more carefully who they choose to be around the child.

It's normal for the father to want to know who his child is hanging out with. But the way he is acting is, of course, ridiculous and over the top.

I'm not sure why your girlfriend is insisting that you call her ex husband-that is pretty unusual. Normally this type of thing is done in person. However, she should be the one facilitating any sort of meeting, not you.

My suggestion would be to speak to her about it and ask her to arrange something *on neutral territory* (not at anyone's residence) for just a quick 10-minute meet and greet.

At the end of the day, it would be a royal ordeal for the ex husband to enforce the settlement agreement (you might want to find out what it says, exactly), but the two of you don't want to give him any extra ammo in case he has other grievances so following it would be the right thing to do.

Hope that helps.
Interlagos is offline   Reply With Quote