E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
If you're still getting used to the car and/or honing your own experience (I don't know how much track time you have), street tires certainly aren't a bad thing. They'll "talk" more than a slick before they lose grip, allowing you to more easily learn where the edge is.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #22
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
If you're still getting used to the car and/or honing your own experience (I don't know how much track time you have), street tires certainly aren't a bad thing. They'll "talk" more than a slick before they lose grip, allowing you to more easily learn where the edge is.

Yup

I can't believe you are sacrificing 3 points for a non-functional race part! Certainly the ZHP/CF lip doesn't help with braking and turn-in due to downforce does it? Hopefully by the time you are running slicks that bumper will be a stock one and then you can (if points allow) do more to the car and become more competitive. Love the build, I am going to be keeping up with the thread, I'd like to see how the car does in the future.

AERA Hi-Perf Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #23
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartenderPlease View Post

Yup

I can't believe you are sacrificing 3 points for a non-functional race part! Certainly the ZHP/CF lip doesn't help with braking and turn-in due to downforce does it? Hopefully by the time you are running slicks that bumper will be a stock one and then you can (if points allow) do more to the car and become more competitive. Love the build, I am going to be keeping up with the thread, I'd like to see how the car does in the future.
It is not as though I am sacrificing those points for giggles. It sucks, but is the current situation I have to deal with. And no they help with nothing but looks. The car is headed tomorrow to get the roll bars welded in. I will probably order my tires. Going to go with Hankook c51s. I weighed the car--around 160 lbs underweight so ballast will be added. Once I get it back it will be setup time! Only a few weeks away until Mid-Ohio.

Thanks for the interest!

As for track time. I have a decent amount. Going to be a PCA instructor soon, But I am always honing my skills. The one thing I do know is that there is always room for improvement. I think that is one of my biggest advantages. I have an open mind, willing to learn, and I am not driven by ego.

Last edited by badfast; 03-23-2014 at 08:47 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #24
unevolved

I haven't seen anything on it so far, but what's your DAQ setup look like? Used properly, that can be a huge driver training tool.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #25
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
I haven't seen anything on it so far, but what's your DAQ setup look like? Used properly, that can be a huge driver training tool.
Limited. Video and 10hz GPS. The rules dont allow any engine parameters to be pulled for tele. The good thing with the GPS it is accurate enough to pick up braking and accel points. Even can see unconscious movement like slight lifts, etc.

The software is RaceChrono (in car) and Race Logic Performance Box (analysis).

Last edited by badfast; 03-24-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #26
unevolved

Not even RPM? That's a bummer. What's the rationale behind that?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #27
badfast

New wheels and tires. Decided to go with Hankook C51s (225/40/18).

Also set the weights with 5 gallons of fuel. 3153 is the min comp weight. So at 6.2 lbs per gallon I am right there. Added 206 lbs of ballast. Essentially it all sits in spare tire area. Had to get that weight to the rear. Would like to better left/right ratio. I will see if I can get it today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140402_143319.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	552873   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140406_003822.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	552874  
Old 04-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #28
rsrdan

My Ride: 1988 BMW M3
How do the wheels fit? Any spacers,hub rings.?

1988 M3

1989 951

rsrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:32 AM   #29
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrdan View Post
How do the wheels fit? Any spacers,hub rings.?
The wheels fit great. They look awesome on the car! I have 12.5mm spacers in the front and they fit fine. Haven't checked to see if they would rub with out. The wheels came with hub rings.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #30
badfast

Messed around with the weights today to try and get a better balance. Here is what I achieved:

I am satisfied with this. Unsure I will get it much better (aside from crossweight). I will readjust it tomorrow according to the track I hope it will arrive at this weekend.

The ballast installed:

Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #31
badfast

I haven't updated for awhile but the car is completed and has been in 4 races so far. Here is the car the way it sits now:

Also, I just snatched my first win at PittRace. Crazy weekend as the showers were on/off. On Saturday I took the pole for the entire Performance Touring group and ran home with the win for my class:

On Sunday I started second. Qualifying sucked as I thought we were the first run group while the track was still wet. Well being out on my wet set (Conti DWs) while everyone else was on slicks I was quickly falling behind. The race Sunday started out good until something broke in the car (clutch or transmission). I will find out hopefully tomorrow. The car was having trouble going into gear on Saturday and the problem extended into Sunday as you can see within the first lap. I was catching 1st place (Green Integra) but things went south around the 13:00 mark.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:06 AM   #32
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Have you reinforced the subframe mounts yet?

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:27 AM   #33
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
I don't really understand your wheel & tire size choice, 245/40-17 is where I'd wanna be,.....unless this is a rule book issue. Not to mention a slightly better gear ratio with is combo.

EDIT: I hear a lot of tire "Chatter" at turn in & mid apex, what hot PSI do they come in at ?

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 08-07-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #34
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
Looking great out there! Looks like lots of fun.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #35
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I don't really understand your wheel & tire size choice, 245/40-17 is where I'd wanna be,.....unless this is a rule book issue. Not to mention a slightly better gear ratio with is combo.

EDIT: I hear a lot of tire "Chatter" at turn in & mid apex, what hot PSI do they come in at ?

Good luck,
Rob43
It is a rule thing. They class my with a stock 215 size so moving up costs points. The tire type also costs points also. A 245 would move me to another class. My tires alone cost me 11 points. I could do 245s but I cant find a stock matching bumper.

It sucks. It seems like unless you are miata you are gonna get screwed. Most miatas start with a 225/235 base class. Everyone is around 600 lbs (at least) lighter than me. I am considering a move to GTS.

Also I havent done gears yet because I could never get a response from anyone regarding if they would work with my quaife. And I wasnt able to get hot psi/temps.

Last edited by badfast; 08-22-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #36
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post
Have you reinforced the subframe mounts yet?
Of course not

They were done along time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46techtuner View Post
Looking great out there! Looks like lots of fun.
Thanks! It is fun. Next stop is WGI.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #37
alexisthemovie

My Ride: BMW
Are the tires classed by treadwear ratings? Is everyone out there on R-Comps or are there actually people running R888, AD08R, RE-11, Z2SS, RS3, etc? I know of a "cheater" tire with over 200 treadwear rating that has grip comparable or better than AD08R and they come in 235/40/18.
alexisthemovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #38
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisthemovie View Post
Are the tires classed by treadwear ratings? Is everyone out there on R-Comps or are there actually people running R888, AD08R, RE-11, Z2SS, RS3, etc? I know of a "cheater" tire with over 200 treadwear rating that has grip comparable or better than AD08R and they come in 235/40/18.
They are classed by treadwear with some exceptions. Everyone, except me, runs Hoosier R6. I am on the Hankook C51. I have yet to see anything other than the R6. Even in the wet some are on Hoosier H20s. Others use star specs, and R888s. I use Conti DWs.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #39
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
What was the gearbox issue?

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #40
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post
What was the gearbox issue?
Not sure yet. I will tear it down after MidOhio in Oct. The transmission only goes into 3rd and 4th. Will not go into any other gear. Also when in 3rd or 4th there was no power delivery to the wheels. Put in another transmission and everything works.

Last edited by badfast; 09-13-2014 at 09:42 AM.