E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
navyseals

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 Ci
2002 BMW 325Ci with multiple issues

Hey guys,

I've been searching for a bit regarding my problems and I can't pinpoint these last few issues:

1. The car makes a sort of "loose screw" kind of noise when it's idle and the initial depressing of the gas pedal below 1300 rpm. (It seems to only happen when it's warm):
It's quite hard to record it but the noise is from 0-7 seconds and goes away once I go past the idle-1300rpm mark.

2. Coolant light keeps coming on and off and usually only occurs when heat is turned on. I checked the coolant and it's perfectly fine which means its the coolant level sensor or thermostat. I don't have enough knowledge regarding this so I was hoping you guys could give me some insight.
3. Check engine light goes on and off
4. My car has started consuming a lot more fuel after 1.5 years of ownership. I used to get around 25 MPG (10L/100km). I am now getting around 17 MPG (14L/100KM).

I started noticing a drop in fuel economy after I took my car in for an Inspection II last April and had oil level sensor, front pads and rotors, oil pan gasket, and one other thing which I have to look up. The spark plugs were also changed to NGK G-Power.

There was also one day in March where I would start the car up and it had a really rough idle where it shook the car. Once the gas pedal was depressed, the engine would cut out. I tried again 30 minutes later and there were no problems whatsoever...

Thanks!

Last edited by navyseals; 04-14-2014 at 06:03 PM.
navyseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
You can't just buy these cars and attempt to look cool and rich. These cars may be bought for $5,000 but they are still $40,000+ cars maintenance/care wise. Professional cars require full professional maintenance especially if the homeland is Germany. These are cars you cannot pimp and pose in. Because of this, I wrote a series of guides to help newcomers like you! Hope you enjoy them and find them helpful.

As my sig suggests:

Follow my guides and you'll never experience a problem in your lifetime.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
navyseals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
You can't just buy these cars and attempt to look cool and rich. These cars may be bought for $5,000 but they are still $40,000+ cars maintenance/care wise. Professional cars require full professional maintenance especially if the homeland is Germany. These are cars you cannot pimp and pose in. Because of this, I wrote a series of guides to help newcomers like you! Hope you enjoy them and find them helpful.

As my sig suggests:

Follow my guides and you'll never experience a problem in your lifetime.
It's true. I do some of the work myself and let the mechanic handle ones which take longer and more complicated. I have to ask because the mechanic is having trouble pinpointing the "loose screw" noise issue and gas mileage issue for the most part.

I've read up on your guides.

Last edited by navyseals; 04-09-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
What is a "loose screw" noise? Post a video, otherwise I don't see how anyone can tell from the description.

What codes did they pull?
Check coolant temperature for the gas mileage issue.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
navyseals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
What is a "loose screw" noise? Post a video, otherwise I don't see how anyone can tell from the description.

What codes did they pull?
Check coolant temperature for the gas mileage issue.

I'm going to have to try, it doesn't always happen and it usually happens when I'm stuck in traffic on the highway for a long time so hard to capture. Will update.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
navyseals

Updated original post with noise clip. It's really obvious in person but difficult to record.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #7
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
See if it's the DISA, just disconnect it to check.
If you hear the sound at the front of the engine, it could be a bad bearing in a pulley.