E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #21
GDubois

My Ride: is slow
^Mileage? That's pretty amazing you were still on your 2000 battery.

Congratulations.
GDubois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #22
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
Agreed. That's a really long time for one battery. I wonder if that was a contributor to the problem. Still, you'd think the car would notify the driver about a worn out battery. Or the engine would just not start after a while.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #23
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
Benny, Good thread to start here to find COMMON issues that can start fires. Twin, Sorry to see the damage on your nice car. It seems to me that you must have had a shorted battery or something next to the battery that was intermittently shorting until it finally stayed shorted. Loosing power while the engine running alerted me that it was a high current short. I had a VW Karmann Ghia have a small engine compartment fire that did the same symptoms Twin Guns had. LUCKILY... I caught it when the fire just started from the METAL battery cover shorting onto the battery. Again...GOOD thread!
motorhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #24
Twin_Guns18

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
117,777. I remember glancing down at the odometer just a few minutes before the car initially died and thinking, "I can't wait to see 222,222 on the odometer"
Twin_Guns18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #25
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
After reading about E46 catching fire due to LCM, FSU, and oil leak issues, I finally installed a fire extinguisher under the passenger seat.

Quote:
Batteries can last a long time in SoCal. My 1999 323i run on the original battery for about 160K miles. Replaced the battery on its 14th year.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 04-04-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #26
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
After reading about E46 catching fire due to LCM, FSU, and oil leak issues, I finally installed a fire extinguisher under the passenger seat.

Batteries can last a long time in SoCal. My 1999 323i run on the original battery for about 160K miles. Replaced the battery on its 14th year.
Which extinguisher did you buy? (Can you share a link or model number?) How did you install it?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #27
Yossarian

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
As I have mentioned in another car fire thread, I am a firefighter. Most of you would be surprised at the number of car fires that actually occur. Approximately one in seven fires responded to by fire departments across the nation is a highway vehicle fire. , according to US Fire Administration. Details at : http://www.usfa.fema.gov/statistics/.../vehicles.shtm It is highly unlikely that they are more prevalent in BMWs than in other brands. I fill out a report called an NFIRs for every incident - which includes make, model, year, and VIN - and if there are statistical anomalies by make and model, they will stand out and be noticed. Let us not forget that these cars are getting older, and as both electrical and mechanical parts age, they are more prone to failure which can lead to fires.

That being said, it certainly doesn't hurt to try to narrow down any potential problem areas, even if by anecdotal evidence. I guess where I'm going with this is, "Be vigilant, not paranoid" . While these vehicles are not overly prone to fires, they are susceptible. If we can do a bit more to prevent them from occurring, it saves us both a bit of trouble.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #28
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Minn View Post
Which extinguisher did you buy? (Can you share a link or model number?) How did you install it?
I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fits there just fine. Also comes with a plastic mounting bracket through which I punched holes and used zip ties to attach to a metal bar on the bottom side of the seat.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #29
watches chrono

Sorry it took me so long to respond, anyway I am in Texas but the car came from kanas. Right before the fire the fan blower would just run even after I cut the car off. This started maybe 3 days before the fire. There was 266000 miles on the car. The fire did not burn though the fire wall. If I missed anything just ask.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
watches chrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #30
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
Any Desert interstate, especially one with long uphill grades, you are bound to see LARGE, dark and rough areas on the pavement shoulder. This is usually a sign that someones vehicle overheated or something like that and BURNED to the GROUND!
If you can find one, a HALON fire extinguisher is a good one. I believe it is rated for most types of fires and doesn't leave all the WHITE powder mess. Yossarian might chime in as to a HALON extinguisher rating.
motorhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #31
Yossarian

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead55 View Post
If you can find one, a HALON fire extinguisher is a good one. I believe it is rated for most types of fires and doesn't leave all the WHITE powder mess. Yossarian might chime in as to a HALON extinguisher rating.
Halon is good stuff, but very expensive relative to a dry chemical extinguisher. If your car is on fire, the mess left by a dry chem extinguisher is generally the least of your problems. Most car fires start in the engine compartment, so cleanup is easy for the powder mess. Burned wiring, etc is a bigger concern.

The only way to stop an electrical fire (automotive or otherwise) is to kill the power source. If you can safely cut or remove the battery cable, it won't hurt. The fire may not be electrical in nature, but if it is, you may be able to stop feeding it. If it is even a question as to whether it is safe, don't do it. It's a car - in most cases insured - not worth getting hurt over.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #32
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by watches chrono View Post
Sorry it took me so long to respond, anyway I am in Texas but the car came from kanas. Right before the fire the fan blower would just run even after I cut the car off. This started maybe 3 days before the fire. There was 266000 miles on the car. The fire did not burn though the fire wall. If I missed anything just ask.

Hey, watches, had you replaced the FSR or blower motor before the fire? With 266k miles, I assume you had done one of these. Please let us know.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #33
watches chrono

No sir, I was just about to do it, then fire

watches chrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:33 AM   #34
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
another wagon taken away by fire
http://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comments...his_world_rip/
Quote:
Wife had dropped the kids off at school and was driving home when she saw smoke coming from dash. Pulled up behind our garage and the lower left dash burst into flames. No electrical mods to the car. Just suspension mods. After fire inspection looked like it came from the headlight switch or module on the lower left dash/kick panel.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #35
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
Oh, man, not a wagon too!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #36
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I pulled a dead LCM out of an E46 recently and I opened it up. I observed and photographed what appears to be burn marks and corrosion on the circuit board. Maybe some electronics experts can chime in on this as potentially being signs that the board is overheating:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	553978   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	553979   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	553980   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	553981  

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #37
ReIntegration

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to ReIntegration
Now correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard from other forums and also from a friend that people that change their front fog lights to HID or more stronger bulbs can over heat the LCM. For example my friend's old 328Ci originally came with the normal fog light bulbs. Then he changed them out for the blue color HID style bulbs. Every time when he would have the radio on and then turn on the parking lights then hit the fog light button you would get a very high pitch radio wave interference sound and would gradually go away until the fogs were on for about 15 seconds once they warm up and also when he would turn on the fog light the "High Beam" indicator on the instrument cluster would blink once.
2003 330Ci (Current - Born on 1.10.03)(Had it since new born. Delivered from Regensburg on 2.24.03)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai
Ready to get destroyed?

Last edited by ReIntegration; 04-15-2014 at 05:31 PM.
ReIntegration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #38
GDubois

My Ride: is slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwish View Post
Same thing happened to my dads 02 330ci. Scary sh1t. If the car were in the garage the whole house would've went up. Issue has been brought to BMW before and they refuse to do anything about it...

Seems to be LCM. Add this one.

Congratulations.

Last edited by GDubois; 04-15-2014 at 06:06 PM.
GDubois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #39
NorCalZman

My Ride: 05 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
Wow, another LCM. Well if any of these owners (or anyone else) wants to take these cars' info and file a complaint, maybe something will happen. http://www.nhtsa.gov/ "file a complaint" link on the top right side of the page.
Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge mod

Last edited by NorCalZman; 04-15-2014 at 06:29 PM.
NorCalZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #40
Benny Minn

Quote:
Seems to be LCM. Add this one.
It's already on the list.