E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
incito

My Ride: '03 330i
'03 E46 330I: Won't start? EWS?

Ok car worked fine one minute then an hour later I get in and Boom...turn key and nothing. well dash lights and chime goes...but other than all the electrical starting up nothing else. A friend that works on BMW's swore it was my battery but he noticed that when I turn the key on the "P" for park does not light up. There is no indication of what gear the car is in. So he said it was my key. So instead of spending $200 bucks for a $5 battery I bought a new battery, swapped it into my key. Key seems to work fine now. After programming it the Unlock, trunk, and lock features work. but still I turn the key and nothing. I know it's not the battery. Its putting out enough volts, and I even tried to jump it.

Does the key have to ALSO be REprogramed for the EWS? if so how?
Anywone else having a problem Like this. I do have access to a OBD II reader. I did hook it up ealier but seemed like GREEK at first glance. Any input would be helpful as I've been reading the forums and it's help alot for the DIY projects!! Feel free to ask any questions you feel necessary Thank you in advance for all those who read and reply.
incito is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
732.finest

My Ride: M3 droptop. ;)
iam having the same issue with my 01 m3 i was told to change my starter i changed it and the dam car stilll wont turn over. i changed my battery and it still wont start i did drop my key before i started having this problem i would have to hold the key on the start possession for about a few mins till it would actually start.. so i am guessing my key is not communicating wit the ews. cuz it fell on the ground.
732.finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Hammer432

My Ride: 2001 330i 3 pedals
The key's EWS is not programmable. If you cut open a diamond shaped key I would carefully examine the components on the keys circuit board especially the coil. I assume you have only one key or would have tried another. I don't know how to verify its the key without another key or towing it to a dealer. You could buy a valet key or service key probably for less than a tow to the dealer and at least you'll have a spare key. I don't have an auto but some cars will start in Neutral, in case the park switch is not working.
Hammer432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
VUMA

My Ride: 330i
i have the same problem with my car now....i took it to the stealer and they said it was a faulty ews so they replaced it, they also got me a new key but ALAS, the car still wont start. did you figure out what the problem was..pls advice
VUMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Starters die on these things without warning, this should be VERY easy for someone to figure out if the starter is the issue??

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Sapote

My Ride: E46 2000 323i wagon
I am now awared of the EWS system on these cars in the last few days.

Question:

is there an easy way to start the engine if my 12 yrs old EWS system on the steering wheel went bad? I know we always can jump the starter solenoid with raw 12v for it to crank, but what if the EWS disabled the ignition and injectors?

I hate this sort of things -- I'm less worry about car thief than the protection system goes bad and the owner is stranded out in the wood.

Sapote
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
jfoj

I believe the EWS shuts the injectors down??

If you have BMW Scanner 1.4.0 you can actually see if the EWS is detecting the key very easily. $32 from www.xcar360.com but takes about 2 weeks to get.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Sapote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I believe the EWS shuts the injectors down??

If you have BMW Scanner 1.4.0 you can actually see if the EWS is detecting the key very easily. $32 from www.xcar360.com but takes about 2 weeks to get.
I know, but what if the scanner says no detection, and the key is ok? what is the easy way to get home?

Sapote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
EWS doesn't talk to the key at all. First of all, make sure you have a good battery. Make sure its charged to spec, and can has life in it. Battery should be replaced every four years.

If your battery is good, you can continue to troubleshoot. If you have access to a GT1/DIS/Carsoft, it will make your job so much easier.
Is the engine being turned at all? or does it click when you try to start.

If your engine is turning normally, but not firing, your problem is most likely within the EWS. It could be that the antenna around the key ring is bad or the EWS may have to be realigned with the DME.
If your EWS & DME are not aligned, the car will crank all day long but it will never fire. Camshaft/Crankshaft sensors will all respond, the fuel pump, and everything will be working normally, but the injectors will not activate.

If you can borrow a scanner from autozone, you *might* be able to pull a EWS code from the DME.

Last edited by TrickTizzle; 01-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
Sapote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
EWS doesn't talk to the key at all. First of all, make sure you have a good battery. Make sure its charged to spec, and can has life in it. Battery should be replaced every four years.

If your battery is good, you can continue to troubleshoot. If you have access to a GT1/DIS/Carsoft, it will make your job so much easier.
Is the engine being turned at all? or does it click when you try to start.

If your engine is turning normally, but not firing, your problem is most likely within the EWS. It could be that the antenna around the key ring is bad or the EWS may have to be realigned with the DME.
If your EWS & DME are not aligned, the car will crank all day long but it will never fire. Camshaft/Crankshaft sensors will all respond, the fuel pump, and everything will be working normally, but the injectors will not activate.

If you can borrow a scanner from autozone, you *might* be able to pull a EWS code from the DME.
1) what sort of ews code will be displayed if there is an issue? are they detail enough to guide the mechanic to the failed component, i.e bad EX or IN cam shaft sensor?
2) "EWS doesn't talk to the key at all." This sounds like the key has nothing to do with the ews, but I understand that the key has a unique ID and the ews system needs to read this ID from the key and verify it before allow the engine control to fire up the engine.
3) Is the ews something for concern with an old car over 100k miles? How often these things fail?
4) should we always carry a wallet "dumb" key hidden in the car just incase the "diamond" key's "ews ID chip" failed?

Thanks,
Sapote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
jfoj

A bit unclear about the statement that the key does not talk to the EWS at all?? There is a handshake with the key and the EWS. The EWS has a coil around the ignition switch that inductively powers the actual EWS circuitry in the key, which in turns does communicate with the EWS.

If the EWS malfunctions and/or there are some key related issues, I assume that there could be BMW specific trouble codes that could be read by a tool like BMW Scanner 1.4.0 or other more advanced tools. I doubt any of the generic code readers will read any EWS codes.

The EWS ring antennas do go bad at times, not sure if these go bad you will have any sort of code? Also unclear if there is any sort of idiot light that come on and indicate an EWS?

If your key has ever been cut open, many times the EWS circuitry can be easily damaged. Just head over to www.bmwgm5.com and look at the Wall Of Shame!

A dumb wallet key is not dumb at all, it has an EWS chip inbeded in the head just like all the other keys. Do not be fooled that is just a simple plastic key, there is far more to the wallet key than a few grooves cut in a plastic key blank.

I am totally lost with this thread as I think there are 2 or 3 different people with different problems??

So for the newest poster, Sapote, suggest you start a NEW thread, provide a clear description of what your actual problem is and what events, repairs occurred before your current problem showed up. Indicated how many keys your have, what type of keys they are, if the engine cranks but does not start or does not crank at all. This is all clear and useful information that we will need to assist.

Sounds like you have a no start situation. The ignition switch and EWS coil are common problem areas as these cars age.

As for disabling the EWS, this is not really an easy thing to do, it would probably be easier to repair the current problem with your car?

Again, suggest starting a NEW thread about your problems.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Sapote

I don't have a single car problem at the moment, but since I had a "starter cranked but engine not fire up" problem couple days ago (it fixed) and have been trying to learn more about ews system for my own good. I just want to prepare myself incase the ews system fails on me.

I have thought about a new thread about EWS Information, but why since I don't have a problem. And, this thread title "won't start? ews?" seems to be a good one for more information about ews. Am I doing the right thing?

Sapote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
TrickTizzle

EWS could fail, but its highly unlikely. Just leave it alone, and you won't have problems.

The EWS & DME have a rolling code that has to match in order for the car to fire. The EWS works independent of the key. If you have a EWS/DME alignment problem you will get several EWS error codes. I don't exactly remember which ones I got it. There are no idiot lights or anything that I am aware of. The antenna is alot more common of going bad rather than the entire module.

You could spend time learning about other things than the EWS, IMO. It's really complicated, and your not really going to be playing with it.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
Sapote

"The EWS works independent of the key."

Do you mean if I have a locksmith cut me a key and it will start the car ok? I don't think so. The EWS DEPENDS on the encoded key, not just any keys.

Sapote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
is it a stick shift?

Ive had two no start problem outside the battery.

bad clutch sensor "chain grip" if this goes out it will not recognize you have your clutch down when starting the car.

a bad bst cable, the cable for the battery charred due to bad connections with the amps.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #16
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
"The EWS works independent of the key."

Do you mean if I have a locksmith cut me a key and it will start the car ok? I don't think so. The EWS DEPENDS on the encoded key, not just any keys.

Sapote
No. There is a chip in your key.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Sapote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
No. There is a chip in your key.
So why you keep saying: "The EWS works independent of the key."???

Sapote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
TrickTizzle

When the key is inserted into the cylinder and swithed to "ON," The EWS control module will power on sends a 125kHz signal to the ring antenna. The signal then induces voltage in the key coil and powers up the transponder.
The EWS will check to see if the key is enabled, if it is correct and enabled, a password is sent to the transponder through the ring antenna.
When the transponder accepts the apssword, it releases the changing code which it received from the EWS during the last start-up operation to the EWS.
*The EWS module compares the changing code received from the transponder with the code stored in memory and if they match, the process is allowed to continue. EWS will also check other inputs for correct status ( Code function no active, Transmission in P or N or clutch depressed, engine speed below spec. RPM) and then energizes the internal relay to begin starter operation.

When energizing the internal startner realy, thw EWS calculates a "rolling code" and sends the result to the DME.
The DME will verify if the codes match,
If the codes do match, the drive away protection is released and injection and ignitions are enabled, and engine will fire.
If the codes do not match, the DME "rolls forward" to the next code and will continue untill a match is found. Failure to find a match results in engine cranking but not starting.

There is a rolling code table that is burned into the DME's memory, and cannot be changed. For this reason once a DME is married to the vehicle and will not work in any other car.

It is possible that the DME and EWS need to be re-aligned, which will put the DME back to Rolling Code #1 which will synchronize both of the modules.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #19
framesliding14

My Ride: 02 325i
I know this is old but I was just told my e46 needs a new dme because my code is p0604 which is ram rom error. Anyone know of this? Car ran great had to replace coolant temp sensor under intake manifold and then no start and engine light
framesliding14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #20
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by framesliding14 View Post
I know this is old but I was just told my e46 needs a new dme because my code is p0604 which is ram rom error. Anyone know of this? Car ran great had to replace coolant temp sensor under intake manifold and then no start and engine light
Check your battery.

Last edited by TrickTizzle; 04-09-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Tags
e46, ews, fuse, key, start