E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 05:38 AM   #81
B78SYX

My Ride: 325CI 2004
Well, I must admit I wasn't expecting such a reply set. However, I was expecting that posts will be more concised. I think it must be clear that it is not about "judging" what's wrong or right to do with you E46 but, only referring to mods as appreciative or not, the same way some admire a stock car, other simply can't stand it.
I know you focused a lot on the "M-badging" thing but, I was hoping maybe you can suggest other frequent mods, preferred or not by you.

Somebody posted that I should not use "kitschy" - well, I am not sure if it was a joke or not but, I've seen quite a few of e46 mods that you can't name them otherwise. Unless, obtrusive fake air scoops, "type R" badges and huge "universal" rear wings or just annoyingly overtinted black tail lights, that you can barely see them even during night time can be called "reasonable".
B78SYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #82
Dante12

My Ride: 318i Steptronic
I hear you OP. My 2 cents on your question (thanks for clarifying):

1st, my first change of all the 3 BMWs I've had have been wheels. I am not a fan of the slammed look but I appreciate filled arches (19" 8.5J).

2nd, M bumpers, admittedly more aesthetic than functional but the stock bumper doesn't do it for me.

3rd, M3 steering wheel and paddle shifts, probably the best mod I have ever done. The entire driving experience for me changed, I am religiously in M mode.

4th, angel eye projectors. Of all the mods this one gets the most compliments especially when matched with the remote on "welcome home" function.

Again, my opinion.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

DANTE12

2002 BMW E46 318i - Orient Blue - Beige Leather - M3 Sports Steering with Paddle Shifts - Android 4.04 Infortainment system - 1200W Alpine D Sub 12" - M3 Front bar - 19" Custom Painted Breyton Magic ET38 8.5J - Projector Headlights & Angel Eyes - LED DRLs in Foglight Ports

2000 BMW E46 318i - Silver - Written off

2000 BMW E46 318i - Bergundy - Sold
Dante12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #83
B78SYX

@Dante12: Those mods seem to suit my personal taste, as well. That's why I have mentioned that this topic focused to much on the "M-badging". When I was referring to such a mod on non-Motorsport cars, I was thinking of something more obtrusive.

Perhaps, in US, you don't see such samples, on a regular basis but, I've seen some that was way too much. Take a 316 e46 and add a huge rear wing and dozens of M badges and large blue-purple-red M striping. Of course, add a fake second muffler and consider yourself a "midnight racer".
(to be clearer, I am not referring to you but, to certain examples I have seen).

This is the type of modding, using M badges, I would always admit I disagree with. On the other hand, at least in Romania, there is not much e46 modding to be seen, as more and more of these cars are reaching the scrapyards.

Unfortunately, we are mostly a nation who spends a lot on having new cars, instead of properly preserving the previous generation ones - quite different than Western Europe, where you can still find a lot of older cars, in almost mint condition, and owners who are satisfied with them, not ashamed.

Last edited by B78SYX; 04-10-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #84
JasonLI25t

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Honestly? I don't like clear corners at all. I find they generally look out of place, and sometimes don't match the other lighting or lenses at all. I think that ship has sailed but I know it is still possibly the number one mod here. I prefer smoked, stock, or smoked amber. A set of cheap clear corners always catches my eye and makes me cringe. They look much worse on the pre-facelift cars with black housing headlights.

eh not bad:

ewwwwwwwwww:

Last edited by JasonLI25t; 04-10-2014 at 07:11 AM.
JasonLI25t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #85
B78SYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLI25t View Post
Honestly? I don't like clear corners at all. I find they generally look out of place, and sometimes don't match the other lighting or lenses at all.
Another example of "symmetry" of perception, if I can call it that way, between Europe and US.
On the opposite, the general perception in Europe is that amber turn signals (plastic cover colour, not the light) is specific to old cars, in a negative way. However, as I have noticed even BMW is getting back to a dark amber on tail lights (as I noticed on 4 series) (Lexus is using same dark amber, too, I think), perhaps this perception will change.

Same time, I think many locals, here, are fond of full red tail lights, US style, even more they are of amber parking lights I must admit that I tried also to get my tail lights wrapped in red (I was thinking it would match better the car's "electric red" paint) but, I gave up when the Oracal film I bought seemed to be too opaque and the light output would have been significantly lower (just to avoid any traffic police issues). Luckily, red rear turn signals are allowed in Romania, at least.
Indeed, I think clear (rear, at least) turn signals look a little bit mismatched, especially on dark E46. Of course, with a silver car, they match better.

Last edited by B78SYX; 04-10-2014 at 07:29 AM. Reason: typo