E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #21
Tippey764

My Ride: 2004 BMW m3
Send a message via AIM to Tippey764 Send a message via Skype™ to Tippey764
Drove it to work this morning and it set the same code with similar data

Code : p0171
Engine rpm: 3434
Calculated load 23.5%
Coolant 98*c
Short term fuel trim 1 13.3
Long term fuel trim 1 11.7
Short term fuel trim 2 5.5
Long term fuel trim 2 11.7
Vehicle speed 122 km/h
Fuel system 1 closed
Fuel system 2 closed
Tippey764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #22
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
The easiest way to kill O2 sensors is by dumping unburnt fuel onto them (like what your original engine was doing). I wouldn't rule them out. If you're not looking to pay $400 for new BMW O2 sensors, I recently read that the sensors themselves are standard items and can be had for about $50 a piece - you just need to put your BMW specific connectors on them.

Last edited by Cavi Mike; 04-10-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #23
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippey764 View Post
Drove it to work this morning and it set the same code with similar data

Code : p0171
Engine rpm: 3434
Calculated load 23.5%
Coolant 98*c
Short term fuel trim 1 13.3
Long term fuel trim 1 11.7
Short term fuel trim 2 5.5
Long term fuel trim 2 11.7
Vehicle speed 122 km/h
Fuel system 1 closed
Fuel system 2 closed
What stands out is that only one bank is affected.
There may be low compression in one of the cylinders, since everything else seem to check out.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #24
Tippey764

It does throw a p0174 shortly after
Old 04-13-2014, 03:41 AM   #25
Tippey764

Now after an extended drive ( 1500 miles ) my codes grew to this long list

P0336 cps
P0313
P0300
P1347
P1342
P1083
P0174
P0171

Which sensor is p0336 for? Is that the intake or exhaust can sensor?
Old 04-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #26
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Now after an extended drive ( 1500 miles ) my codes grew to this long list

P0336 cps
P0313
P0300
P1347
P1342
P1083
P0174
P0171

Which sensor is p0336 for? Is that the intake or exhaust can sensor?
P0336 appears to be for the crank position sensor. Need to be careful with the acronyms here CPS can mean Crank or Cam Position Sensor!

http://engine-codes.com/p0336.html

Make sure you do not have any numbers transposed.

Lean codes at speed are not usually due to a basic crankcase or intake air leak, but they should not be ruled out.

Your issue is not likely faulty O2 sensor as they are measuring or reporting great swings in the exhaust O2 content.

There could be a lot of issues that you will have to eliminate.

Fuel pressure and volume
MAF
Throttle Position info
Restricted exhaust
Improper VANOS operation

And this could be just a small list

But this is an engine swap situation, there may be a lot of variables and something key could have been overlooked. For example not all of these engines use the same type of O2 sensor. Some use standard O2 sensors, some use Wideband O2 sensors. Not sure what DME tune is programmed in the car, but the DME tune is the road map and master control for engine management and something that looks simple on the surface could be far more complicated.

We are all really guessing here as this situation will take a lot of research from the beginning and likely there will be a long process of elimination until the cause is narrowed down.

This is not my car or my money, so I am hesitant to make guesses with someone else's wallet, but shooting from the hip, this is looking like either a crankcase air leak or a MAF issue.

You need to realize the the 330 MAF is VERY expensive and more often than not non OE MAF's are installed on these cars and they do not perform correctly and cause very similiar problems to what you are running into. As I recall the proper 330 MAF is close to $300. But I am very hesitant to suggest a replacement MAF as this car has been highly modified and something basic may have been overlooked.

Good luck with this one.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 04-13-2014 at 07:18 AM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #27
Tippey764

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
P0336 appears to be for the crank position sensor. Need to be careful with the acronyms here CPS can mean Crank or Cam Position Sensor!

http://engine-codes.com/p0336.html

Make sure you do not have any numbers transposed.

Lean codes at speed are not usually due to a basic crankcase or intake air leak, but they should not be ruled out.

Your issue is not likely faulty O2 sensor as they are measuring or reporting great swings in the exhaust O2 content.

There could be a lot of issues that you will have to eliminate.

Fuel pressure and volume
MAF
Throttle Position info
Restricted exhaust
Improper VANOS operation

And this could be just a small list

But this is an engine swap situation, there may be a lot of variables and something key could have been overlooked. For example not all of these engines use the same type of O2 sensor. Some use standard O2 sensors, some use Wideband O2 sensors. Not sure what DME tune is programmed in the car, but the DME tune is the road map and master control for engine management and something that looks simple on the surface could be far more complicated.

We are all really guessing here as this situation will take a lot of research from the beginning and likely there will be a long process of elimination until the cause is narrowed down.

This is not my car or my money, so I am hesitant to make guesses with someone else's wallet, but shooting from the hip, this is looking like either a crankcase air leak or a MAF issue.

You need to realize the the 330 MAF is VERY expensive and more often than not non OE MAF's are installed on these cars and they do not perform correctly and cause very similiar problems to what you are running into. As I recall the proper 330 MAF is close to $300. But I am very hesitant to suggest a replacement MAF as this car has been highly modified and something basic may have been overlooked.

Good luck with this one.

Well i have done some tests to the car that rule out a few things you suggest already on the last page

Fuel pressure came across at 55PSI during a running test. Volume i have no way of testing. I think i'm going to replace the fuel filter since it isn't expensive and rules that out. Also being a maintenance item

Throttle position info. Now i can't speak for the throttle pedal itself but the throttle body i have replaced with another known good throttle body and saw no difference in the operation

MAF, the MAF i have is a genuine MAF i already checked that. I also swapped my MAF out with a known good working MAF and didn't notice any improvement in operation.

The o2 sensors and exhaust parts are the same parts between a 330i and 325i. I did a part number cross reference on RealOEM to verify this before the swap.

How would i test for improper vanos operation?

Restricted exhaust i have no way of testing this really

Heres something strange too. Yesterday night the car started missing on the highway. While it was missing i checked my fuel trims. Bank 1 was at 3-4 and bank 4 was at 11.7. It stayed this way for awhile. This is making me wonder if something in bank 2 is affecting the reading for bank 1 maybe? When bank 1 had a lower more reasonable reading the car began to miss and eventually throw codes for cylinder misfire with fuel cut.\

The last issue on the list is the DME tune. I took it to a small BMW shop and paid to have a 330i tune flashed to it but now i am doubting that. How can i verify the software that is installed on my DME?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #28
jfoj

Quote:
The last issue on the list is the DME tune. I took it to a small BMW shop and paid to have a 330i tune flashed to it but now i am doubting that. How can i verify the software that is installed on my DME?
330 is larger displacement and will likely need more fuel relative to the 325 under the same circumstances.

You may thing that many of the parts are interchangeable and they may be, but there are many different DME tunes and they may be expecting different sensor input.

Suggest you really do you homework on the differences between the DME tunes and it may be a real chore to get the proper DME and/or DME flash.

With the appropriate software you can read the DME and see what version tune is installed and then cross refernence if the shop just updated the tune based on the VIN, which is most likely what was done.

You may need to find a shop that is tuning shop that really knows what they are doing and how these cars function.

LOTS and LOTS of variables here.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Last edited by jfoj; 04-13-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
Tippey764

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
330 is larger displacement and will likely need more fuel relative to the 325 under the same circumstances.

You may thing that many of the parts are interchangeable and they may be, but there are many different DME tunes and they may be expecting different sensor input.

Suggest you really do you homework on the differences between the DME tunes and it may be a real chore to get the proper DME and/or DME flash.

With the appropriate software you can read the DME and see what version tune is installed and then cross refernence if the shop just updated the tune based on the VIN, which is most likely what was done.

You may need to find a shop that is tuning shop that really knows what they are doing and how these cars function.

LOTS and LOTS of variables here.
The shop i took it to was a small BMW shop and i explained exactly what i had did and why i needed the update. So they SHOULD have flashed it with 330i software but i want to know for sure if they did or not.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #30
jfoj

Quote:
The shop i took it to was a small BMW shop and i explained exactly what i had did and why i needed the update. So they SHOULD have flashed it with 330i software but i want to know for sure if they did or not.
I explain exactly what I want my kids to do quite often, but the outcome is usually VERY different!