E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #21
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
enjoy bashing me.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee

Last edited by smolck; 04-08-2014 at 01:49 PM.
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #22
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
This:

stanced 2001 e46 330ci - $6500 (chula vista)

184k miles

Or this:

2004 BMW 330xi Manual SedanPrice: $15,990

Mileage:70,451

Personally, I wouldn't buy either, but I'd lean toward the expensive clean example rather than the overpriced hack job.

Edit: Not attacking the car for sale in the original post - just making a point about the value of cars based on how they're treated.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.

Last edited by wildirish317; 04-08-2014 at 12:01 PM.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #23
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Car with 210k miles on the OE clutch must not have been driven too hard.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #24
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Apologies if it came across as bashing you. An immaculately maintained E46 330i (ZHP or not) is always worth more money than a poorly maintained car at any mileage. I don't think any of us were able to pass judgement on your car specifically, I know I was talking about the money ZHPs sell for in general terms.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.

Last edited by unevolved; 04-08-2014 at 12:24 PM.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #25
helalo

My Ride: Z4 , 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
enjoy bashing me.
nah. i shouldnt have deleted my posts earlier, i referred to you, the seller, as a gentleman. the car needs some work that will exceed its value for 210k. i had the estimates done at momentum, i get a very good % off from them too.

dont play the victim, i logged in and saw your comments insulting me in the sales section randomly. i mean, what exactly do you wish ? are you demanding i buy* the car ? + i told you im looking at a 540i. the o2 sensors are dangling miserably and everything is a hack job and junkyard work.

if you did not want to deal with "kids" and "craigslist people" as you referred to me, then dont post it on craigslist

on top of that, you made ZERO mention of body damage in your craigslist ad before. it was the first thing i saw when i parked next to you. i dont know if you changed it by now. you work at vine junkyard, take it there and sell it to a co-worker.

out of respect, i did not want to hijack your sale thread, so i didnt reply to you in there. you can F off my back now, im starting to get pissed. take your car somewhere else im not interested, and fix your shitty attitude.

Last edited by helalo; 04-08-2014 at 01:24 PM.
helalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
^haha. This reminds me of an article I saw earlier on these forums on an E36 that was said to be meticulously built and massaged from the ground up. Posts and posts of goons and magazines praising him. I look at the photos and the car is a completely torn up POS hack job with missing sensors, improperly installed this and that, missing caps, torn up dashboard, fading this and that. I understand not many have a perfect car and that's fine but it's especially frustrating when someone passes their car off as excellent and massaged only to come and find missing crap, misaligned crap, wrong fasteners, abused fasteners, stripped that, peeling this, busted that, chaffed this, etc etc etc etc.

i'm not sure of OP's car. I don't know his car. But I'd have to see some photos (preferably high res) of the engine bay with great lighting and i can check it out.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #27
helalo

My Ride: Z4 , 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
^haha. This reminds me of an article I saw earlier on these forums on an E36 that was said to be meticulously built and massaged from the ground up. Posts and posts of goons and magazines praising him. I look at the photos and the car is a completely torn up POS hack job with missing sensors, improperly installed this and that, missing caps, torn up dashboard, fading this and that. I understand not many have a perfect car and that's fine but it's especially frustrating when someone passes their car off as excellent and massaged only to come and find missing crap, misaligned crap, wrong fasteners, abused fasteners, stripped that, peeling this, busted that, chaffed this, etc etc etc etc.

i'm not sure of OP's car. I don't know his car. But I'd have to see some photos (preferably high res) of the engine bay with great lighting and i can check it out.
i couldnt reply to your msg in my inbox, your inbox is full.

ill be back later.
helalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #28
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by helalo View Post
nah. i shouldnt have deleted my posts earlier, i referred to you, the seller, as a gentleman. the car needs some work that will exceed its value for 210k. i had the estimates done at momentum, i get a very good % off from them too.

dont play the victim, i logged in and saw your comments insulting me in the sales section randomly. i mean, what exactly do you wish ? are you demanding i buy* the car ? + i told you im looking at a 540i. the o2 sensors are dangling miserably and everything is a hack job and junkyard work.

if you did not want to deal with "kids" and "craigslist people" as you referred to me, then dont post it on craigslist

on top of that, you made ZERO mention of body damage in your craigslist ad before. it was the first thing i saw when i parked next to you. i dont know if you changed it by now. you work at vine junkyard, take it there and sell it to a co-worker.

out of respect, i did not want to hijack your sale thread, so i didnt reply to you in there. you can F off my back now, im starting to get pissed. take your car somewhere else im not interested, and fix your shitty attitude.

So this car with 200k actually did end up being a POS huh?

Pictures can be very deceiving as a lot of the guys here were raving about how great the seller keeps his car. When it comes down to it most people here that think they maintain their car well just because they throw a few parts on them don't know the first thing about having a car that is "properly/meticulously maintained". Lol.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #29
Vas

My Ride: zhp
Nice to know that your zhp lasted to 200k. GLWS

Last edited by Vas; 04-08-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #30
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I notice some posts (claims) by the owner of that car have been deleted. What a shame. People need to be held by their words. By covering stuff like this up, a disservice is being done to the community. Owner is allowed to sell his car, but one shouldn't be allowed to be glaringly dishonest about it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #31
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
i thought this forum had mature members. lets act like it. business is business, it doesnt need to involve the forum.

TO MAKE IT CLEAR im not siding with anyone, just giving my .02
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #32
mjpgolf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillsner View Post
i thought this forum had mature members. lets act like it. business is business, it doesnt need to involve the forum.

TO MAKE IT CLEAR im not siding with anyone, just giving my .02

I agree but when you post your business on a public forum all that goes out the window. I would never come here (or any public forum) and ask for opinions on any major decisions in my life. If you aren't grown up enough to make a decision on something like a car, then you probably aren't ready for it. It's one thing to do research, but it's ridiculous to start a poll about whether or not to buy a car.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #33
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
330i zhp 2004 pricing

Can't wait for a potential buyer to wander over to this thread. I love this site's search ranking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.

Last edited by Swater330i; 04-09-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #34
Gatriel
Grüß Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Having bought and sold a couple cars over the forums (not this one, but others) over the past I have found you have

Buyers --

They are normally quite educated on what breaks, and when. They are familiar with what these cars are worth. They are also familiar with how much it costs to fix stuff that breaks. They do habitually however fail to accept the fact that maintenance on these cars, that can be documented makes the car more valuable, so they habitually low-ball you because, they have a "homeboy" who bought one just like this one for $3k cheaper.

Sellers --

Like buyers, they know what breaks and when, and forum cars are either modded by some 16 year old and are thus destroyed, or in the alternative they have done the maintenance. Both sellers though like words like "unique" or "cleanest you will find" "immaculate" "perfect" "literally like new." Both groups of sellers have valued their car materially higher above market value, and bargaining with them is almost impossible. Why!? Because, OMG, its so clean.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #35
tkrotchko

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
There is a huge difference between 100k and 200k. At 200k you are getting into the possibility of having to replace items that are more complex than just your regular e46 wear and tear stuff.
Precisely. My car has about 160K miles on it, and I've maintained it pretty well, but the reality is that it's an old car. I wouldn't take it cross country, because anything could break at any time, and you really couldn't complain.

Great commuter, comfortable, but if it spun a bearing tomorrow, you'd look at me and say "yeah, well, the car is almost 13 years old with 160K miles, sucks to be you"
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #36
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrotchko View Post
Precisely. My car has about 160K miles on it, and I've maintained it pretty well, but the reality is that it's an old car. I wouldn't take it cross country, because anything could break at any time, and you really couldn't complain.
My car has 120k miles, and I just took it from Louisville, KY to Hilton Head Island and back. I never had a doubt. I had to replace a valve stem because of a leaky rear tire, but that was it. I wouldn't hesitate to take it to San Diego. (If I take it to San Diego, I'm not coming back. I've been there once. It's a nice place to live.)

When I was young, we used to take summer trips to a farm in Iowa (800 miles). Dad used to pack enough tools in the trunk to overhaul the engine, along with 6 quarts of oil. This was for a four year old car with about 50k miles on it.

We didn't break down every year, but when we did, it only took a few minutes to get back on the road.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #37
mjpgolf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
My car has 120k miles, and I just took it from Louisville, KY to Hilton Head Island and back. I never had a doubt. I had to replace a valve stem because of a leaky rear tire, but that was it. I wouldn't hesitate to take it to San Diego. (If I take it to San Diego, I'm not coming back. I've been there once. It's a nice place to live.)

When I was young, we used to take summer trips to a farm in Iowa (800 miles). Dad used to pack enough tools in the trunk to overhaul the engine, along with 6 quarts of oil. This was for a four year old car with about 50k miles on it.

We didn't break down every year, but when we did, it only took a few minutes to get back on the road.

Where did you stay in Hilton Head Irish? I lived there for 4 years after high school and worked for the BMW dealer right off the island. I still head down there every fall as I have a timeshare at the Marriott Grand Ocean down on South Forest Beach. Great place to just relax.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #38
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
****, I'd take my car on a road trip to South Carolina no problem. 194k and counting!

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #39
Knight

My Ride: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrotchko View Post
I wouldn't take it cross country, because anything could break at any time, and you really couldn't complain.

Great commuter, comfortable, but if it spun a bearing tomorrow, you'd look at me and say "yeah, well, the car is almost 13 years old with 160K miles, sucks to be you"
Tell that to the few people on here that have 350K+ miles on their cars. They can last a long time (reliably) when taken care of.

If it spun a bearing, the question would be what kind of shape is the rest of the car in? Plenty of replacement engines out there.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #40
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
There is a huge difference between 100k and 200k. At 200k you are getting into the possibility of having to replace items that are more complex than just your regular e46 wear and tear stuff.

For example....

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm approaching 200k and want to know what to look for.