E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements > Site Sponsor Group Buys

Site Sponsor Group Buys
Group buys from the sponsors that support E46Fanatics.com and other approved group buys.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #581
majorglory

My Ride: 01 330Ci Convertible
I just installed my GM5150 and it has some issues. I like the unit but I am having a bit of "buyer's remorse". First, the clock refuses to keep time and does not deal with DST changes. I tried DLNA and Mircast with no success. My Samsung S4 complains that the "internet connection is too slow" and will not hook up to it. The map software that was sent is very slow to respond while driving. The radio signal is iffy at best (my original BMW Business had much better reception).

On the + side, the bluetooth hookup to the phone works really well. I had the top down yesterday and the person who called me did not complain about not being able to hear me. This was using the internal mic. I did have the external mic hooked up, but undid it because of a "tunnel effect" complaint when testing.

How can I fix these issues? Is it a software bug? Why won't the clock stay current (I am using AM/PM, we American's are not use to 24 hour clock ). Please let me know what can be done about this before I take this out and request a refund.

Thanks!
majorglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #582
891CARLOS

My Ride: 2003 E46 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorglory View Post
I just installed my GM5150 and it has some issues. I like the unit but I am having a bit of "buyer's remorse". First, the clock refuses to keep time and does not deal with DST changes. I tried DLNA and Mircast with no success. My Samsung S4 complains that the "internet connection is too slow" and will not hook up to it. The map software that was sent is very slow to respond while driving. The radio signal is iffy at best (my original BMW Business had much better reception).
For the cost and features this unit is great, don't overthink it, yes all of us have gone thru issues and Eonon has solved them at least to my knowledge. Anyway, to solve your clock issue; I have read a on recent post that if you "initialize" the unit, this will permanently solve this issue, you can try that and see if that works for you.

For the DLNA and Miracast, I had no issues at all; Galaxy S2 connects thru DLNA(using Eonon app) with no issues, S2 is not Miracast complatible. Galaxy S3 connects fine with Miracast and DLNA. I will try the Galaxy S5 when I get it tomorrow.

Where did you install you Wifi antenna? is it connected correctly?
891CARLOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #583
semcoinc

My Ride: 330Xi/335Xi/E53-X5
Quote:

On the + side, the bluetooth hookup to the phone works really well. I had the top down yesterday and the person who called me did not complain about not being able to hear me. This was using the internal mic. I did have the external mic hooked up, but undid it because of a "tunnel effect" complaint when testing.

How can I fix these issues? Is it a software bug? Why won't the clock stay current (I am using AM/PM, we American's are not use to 24 hour clock ). Please let me know what can be done about this before I take this out and request a refund.

Thanks!
Hi Majorglory,

Check out my post here where I received a firmware download from Carlos/Eonon to fix my jumpy time issue:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=277

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW
E46/330Xi, E90/335Xi, E53/X5 4.4i
semcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #584
891CARLOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by semcoinc View Post
Hi Majorglory,

Check out my post here where I received a firmware download from Carlos/Eonon to fix my jumpy time issue:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=277

Mike
Hey Mike,

I believe majorglory received the updated unit, he should already have this update from factory. Also, the update itself does not fix the time issue, at least not on mine. You need to "INITIANLIZE" the unit for this to be permanently fixed, several people have posted this in another thread. I think that the update and initializing the unit is what fixes this issue completely.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #585
semcoinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 891CARLOS View Post
Hey Mike,

I believe majorglory received the updated unit, he should already have this update from factory. Also, the update itself does not fix the time issue, at least not on mine. You need to "INITIANLIZE" the unit for this to be permanently fixed, several people have posted this in another thread. I think that the update and initializing the unit is what fixes this issue completely.
Good point Carlos!

I do remember initializing my unit as well. However, I can't recall if I initialized before or after the firmware update or both before and after the update.

Nevertheless, my unit was keeping good time several weeks ago after the firmware update was installed. I have been away from the car in Wisconsin for a while now and will check on it this weekend.

I liked the DVD audio side so much, I went out and bought about six classic concert DVDs to have on hand to augment my music selections.

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW

Last edited by semcoinc; 04-10-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #586
891CARLOS

Quote:
Good point Carlos!

I do remember initializing my unit as well. However, I can't recall if I initialized before or after the firmware update or both before and after the update.

Nevertheless, my unit was keeping good time several weeks ago after the firmware update was installed. I have been away from the car in Wisconsin for a while now and will check on it this weekend.

I liked the DVD audio side so much, I went out and bought about six classic concert DVDs to have on hand to augment my music selections.

Mike
Yeah, I do think Initializing the unit is what helps with time issue.

Sounds great, not much of a Classical listener as I prefer the BASSS but what do I know right? Anyway, FYI you can download your preferable music into an SDCard to avoid going thru CD's and this will dramatically increase your music selection!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #587
semcoinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 891CARLOS View Post
Yeah, I do think Initializing the unit is what helps with time issue.

Sounds great, not much of a Classical listener as I prefer the BASSS but what do I know right? Anyway, FYI you can download your preferable music into an SDCard to avoid going thru CD's and this will dramatically increase your music selection!
Hi Carlos,

Not a literal "Classical" listener here either I'm a bass fan too........the E46 could benefit from some modest subwoofer and I'm on the hunt for something 6" or 8" that can fit in our small trunk space.

My selections were Clapton, Sheryl Crowe, BB King and ZZ Top!

Just after receiving my unit I made a 16GB SD Card full of MP3 music and a couple of .M4V videos of Eagles "Farewell Tour" from Melbourne. I was disappointed that the videos were not recognized by the unit when pressing the video button when in the SD Card screen

So until I spend more time figuring out what video formats the unit recognizes and then I'll have to make videos using those formats.

A real peeve of mine with the SD card interface is the fact that the unit will not show the SD card folders in alphabetical order. Instead they show them in order of date added to card :bang head: So when we are looking for a particular artist, how the heck are we supposed to find that artist's folder easily???? This needs fixing - hopefully a UI fix can be implemented for this SD Card flaw or give the user a selectable way to organize the display of their SD card files/folders.

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW

Last edited by semcoinc; 04-10-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #588
891CARLOS

Quote:
Hi Carlos,

Not a literal "Classical" listener here either I'm a bass fan too........the E46 could benefit from some modest subwoofer and I'm on the hunt for something 6" or 8" that can fit in our small trunk space.
misunderstood, I tought you were the type that went to operas and such! Anyhow, I have 2 12's subs in my E46 sedan trunk and still plenty of room! I like how the trunk does not rattle when listening to rap/hip hop.

Quote:
Just after receiving my unit I made a 16GB SD Card full of MP3 music and a couple of .M4V videos of Eagles "Farewell Tour" from Melbourne. I was disappointed that the videos were not recognized by the unit when pressing the video button when in the SD Card screen
So until I spend more time figuring out what video formats the unit recognizes and then I'll have to make videos using those formats.
Yeah, I have already pointed out on an earlier post that the unit does not recognize couple video formats, specially if these are high resolution! What works best is to re-format to AVI/XVID and lower screen size to 720x480.

Quote:
A real peeve of mine with the SD card interface is the fact that the unit will not show the SD card folders in alphabetical order. Instead they show them in order of date added to card :bang head: So when we are looking for a particular artist, how the heck are we supposed to find that artist's folder easily???? This needs fixing - hopefully a UI fix can be implemented for this SD Card flaw or give the user a selectable way to organize the display of their SD card files/folders.
Mike
yes, this might be fixed with an update. I really don't mind the way its set up as of now. I guess its because I have added my music per genre but it will help if you can choose how the SDcard sorts music folders like an ipod does.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #589
semcoinc

If you could PM me any pics of your sub install, I'd like to see how you approached it. Thread creep...sorry

If I could find a way to put (2) 6" subs in my trunk, I might consider it. Does your Eonon unit drive the subs from its internal amp or are you using an aux amp to drive them?

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW
Old 04-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #590
891CARLOS

Quote:
If you could PM me any pics of your sub install, I'd like to see how you approached it. Thread creep...sorry

If I could find a way to put (2) 6" subs in my trunk, I might consider it. Does your Eonon unit drive the subs from its internal amp or are you using an aux amp to drive them?

Mike
I will have to take pics and send them later, these are in a sealed enclosure fits perfectly pushed in against rear seat.

Pretty similar to this set up, but mine are a bit more inside and the amp is on top of the enclosure:

Yes, I wire them with the Eonon unit to an aux amp that pushes my two 12's. I don't think youll be able to use Eonon unit alone to pushed any subs, you will need an amp, otherwise they will likely sound bad, or will just not be good for the subs and/or unit.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #591
majorglory

Thanks Carlos for the "initialize" tip. That did the trick regarding keeping the clock on time. As for mircast and DLNA, I still cannot seem to get it to work. Is it some software restriction because this is a US model? I did (very briefly) get screen mirroring to show, but then it went to the "Waring, do not watch TV while driving" verbiage on the screen and that was all she wrote.

Any advise would be helpful.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #592
891CARLOS

Quote:
Thanks Carlos for the "initialize" tip. That did the trick regarding keeping the clock on time. As for mircast and DLNA, I still cannot seem to get it to work. Is it some software restriction because this is a US model? I did (very briefly) get screen mirroring to show, but then it went to the "Waring, do not watch TV while driving" verbiage on the screen and that was all she wrote.

Any advise would be helpful.
Not a problem! Did you grounded the "brake wire" from the unit instead of connecting it to the actual brake wire in the car? It has nothing to do with the region restriction, but if this wire was connected to the hand brake, it will interfere with video viewing. You need to ground this wire, just be safe and don't view videos while driving!

Since it is giving that message, I'm pretty sure this wire was not grounded or connected at all. Also, where was the Wifi antenna located? What I did was to used its magnet and located it like most others behind the glove box, there was a metal piece left of the fuses and works fine for me. Wifi antenna location is important to make a good connection.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #593
majorglory

Nope... Didn't ground the brake wire (didn't realize I had to). I have the WiFi antenna in the large open spot under the hood. I will move it to the location you suggested and ground that wire.

One last item. There seems to be a great debate on the Nav software. In the short time I have had this unit, I am not overly impressed with the interface of the Kudos (seems very jumpy and not too pretty). I know on the D5150 it use to have iGo and people seem very happy with that one (based on other forums and reviews). How can I change this out? I am not very familiar with torrent files (though I am a fast learner). Any suggestions/advice (proper US Spelling ) would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #594
891CARLOS

Quote:
Nope... Didn't ground the brake wire (didn't realize I had to). I have the WiFi antenna in the large open spot under the hood. I will move it to the location you suggested and ground that wire.
YEP, ground the brake wire AND Wifi antenna must be inside the cabin!! why did you install under the hood?! Wifi antenna is just to connect your phone/tablet or other device to the unit, it is not to get Wifi signal to connect your unit to the internet if that is what you were thinking. This will solve your connectivity issues for sure.

Quote:
One last item. There seems to be a great debate on the Nav software. In the short time I have had this unit, I am not overly impressed with the interface of the Kudos (seems very jumpy and not too pretty). I know on the D5150 it use to have iGo and people seem very happy with that one (based on other forums and reviews). How can I change this out? I am not very familiar with torrent files (though I am a fast learner). Any suggestions/advice (proper US Spelling ) would be appreciated.
FYI IgoPrimo was never supplied by Eonon and yes people do not like Kudos that much. Personally i think IgoPrimo is the way to go, both D5150/GM5150 and I believe all other Eonon GPS units support IGO.

Just because I don't want to get in trouble or I don't think posting torrent links is permitted, just search D5150/GM5150 IGOPRIMO installation.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #595
majorglory

Thanks Carlos. I appreciate the info and help. I put it under the hood because it had metal to magnet it to. Having a convertible, my options are limited
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #596
semcoinc

Here is where you can put the WiFi antenna

It is not on metal but appears to work for me when I did my iPhone5s screen mirroring testing.

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW

Last edited by semcoinc; 04-11-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #597
891CARLOS

Quote:
Here is where you can put the WiFi antenna

Mike
Mine is magnetize on that metal bar in your pic, I was surprise the glove box did not interfere with signal.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #598
darrenspain

My Ride: Bmw 330ci
Straight to bluetooth problem

Hi guys, did you ever get to sort out the straight to bluetooth problem when starting the car?
My D5150 unit has the radio set as start up page, but with auto connect set on bluetooth it always goes to bluetooth music page, driving me mad!!!!
i have no dlna or miracast on my unit.
Also, looking at the old firmware, i got to say i prefer the look of the old system compared to the new one, anyway of downgrading?
I do hope someone has some answers on the bluetooth issue, maybe a software upgrade?
Regards

Last edited by darrenspain; 04-12-2014 at 07:25 AM.
darrenspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #599
EononCarDVD
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenspain View Post
Hi guys, did you ever get to sort out the straight to bluetooth problem when starting the car?
My D5150 unit has the radio set as start up page, but with auto connect set on bluetooth it always goes to bluetooth music page, driving me mad!!!!
i have no dlna or miracast on my unit.
Also, looking at the old firmware, i got to say i prefer the look of the old system compared to the new one, anyway of downgrading?
I do hope someone has some answers on the bluetooth issue, maybe a software upgrade?
Regards
Hi darren, no worry I'll help you out. I'm asking our tech and will send you PM with solution when I get his suggestion. thanks!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #600
semcoinc

Hi Carlos,

I would be interested in that BT fix as well. My work around has been to not activate Auto Connect setting and the BT connection will not occur.

I would much rather have AUTO NAVI come on whenever the unit is started and be running in the background if another application was last used. If NAVI was last used I would like the unit to boot to that as Last Used application.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW