E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
MarinaMaddicted

My Ride: 2002 M3
e46 M3 Headlights -Inner Lights?

I am wondering on my m3 e46 the xenon outer lights come up, but inner (halogen?) lights don't come up. Is there a problem and it should be that way? I am going crazy... I thought it did before....See attached...The lights next to the grill don't come up, and they got bulbs. I have already checked fuses, couldn't find the fuse for the headlights anyways....maybe its normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sacramento-20140416-02124.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	554199  

Last edited by MarinaMaddicted; 04-17-2014 at 01:40 AM.
MarinaMaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
The inner lights are used as DRLs (daytime running lights) and/or high beams.

You can shut the DRLs off if you wish with computer software.

Last edited by PH03NIX46; 04-17-2014 at 01:40 AM.
PH03NIX46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
MarinaMaddicted

Well, not sure about shutting them off as they don't come up at all...
Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
MarinaMaddicted

Also, anyone knows if there are fuses for headlights? Just wondering as I was checking the fuse box and couldn't find any for headlights
Old 04-17-2014, 01:50 AM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
First of all are the lights you have in there stock? Your sig pic appears to show lights that are completely blacked out (extremely unsafe--can result in injury or death to yourself and/or others--not to mention it looks bad) maybe the previous owner installed bad lights. Do you know what kind are in there? See my sig pic below--that's what full quality stock headlights look like ($1,000 a side at discount). When you pull the high beam switch the high beams should turn on. Are you saying they dont?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 AM   #6
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
the middle ones (halogen) are only on if you have DRL (daytime running light) and turns on when pulling the left lever on the sterring wheel towards you (flash to pass)

xenon goes on when you turn on your headlights or if you have auto headlights they'll turn on at certain time. if you're xenon outside is on then your halogen inside SHOULDN'T be on

to turn on the halogen light all the time you have to code it using the bmw scanner 1.4 which can be cost roughly under $30
Old 04-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #7
MarinaMaddicted

Mango, did you see the first picture? The lights are stock just like yours. The only thing its got is black tint(film)on them. The inner lights don't come up, outer do. So I am assuming it should be that way???
Old 04-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
jiggz

My Ride: '05 ZHP & '12 X5 50i
2002+ E46 models (including the M3) equipped with the optional xenon headlights have 'bi-xenon' - meaning low and high beam are projected from the outer projector. The inner headlamp on 2002+ models is for DRL or flash to pass.

For DRLs…if you don't see them they were probably disabled by a prior owner. The dealer or someone with a coding tool can code them back on.

1999-2001 E46 models with xenons don't have the bi-xenon function, so that inner headlight serves as the high-beam.
jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
MarinaMaddicted

JapanRot325ci , Thank you!, That helps and makes sense. I thought the DRL worked before, but I had to change the battery, so perhaps its got reset to default?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaMaddicted View Post
Mango, did you see the first picture? The lights are stock just like yours. The only thing its got is black tint(film)on them. The inner lights don't come up, outer do. So I am assuming it should be that way???
That's still dangerous with the black tints. By tinting them you've defeated the entire purpose of headlights then beat that purpose down with a bat.

And btw, not to be mean, but your lights are not just like mine. Every aspect of my headlights is refreshed, restored, cleaned, tuned, serviced, and upgraded including the bulbs.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 AM   #11
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
JapanRot325ci , Thank you!, That helps and makes sense. I thought the DRL worked before, but I had to change the battery, so perhaps its got reset to default?
Replacing the battery shouldn't affect that. How long have you had the car? Doesn't seem likely the coding would change mysteriously for no reason.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-17-2014, 02:02 AM   #12
MarinaMaddicted

Mango, I posted a question NOT to hear your opinions about my headlights or discuss the tint on my headlights but to find an answer for my issue. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:03 AM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Mango, I posted a question NOT to hear your opinions about my headlights or discuss the tint on my headlights but to find an answer for my issue. Thanks!
What I said are not opinions. As long as you are endangering yourself and others, you will hear what I have to say on the matter.

Also for the record I did respond to your question. Three times in fact.

Don't ignore the truth because it's ugly. Embrace it and know that your decisions can affect the safety of others.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #14
MarinaMaddicted

Again, "ugly" is an opinion. And I won't go to your level of expressing my opinions about your ride. That was not a purpose of this post.... Anyways, still not answering the question...lol But I think, I got it, thank to JapanRot325ci , jiggz , PH03NIX46 . Thank you, guys!!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 AM   #15
Mango
A full five stars, son

The truth is you tinted your headlights which are illegal and dangerous. That's the ugly truth. Would you spraypaint your eyeballs black? Didn't think so.

Believe me when I say your headlights are dangerous with those black tints in your sig pic. This is not even getting to whatever else you did to your headlights. you barely signed up a year ago so you have a lot to learn along with the help people (including myself) have given you. You need to be mature about this. Just because you don't give a damn about your own safety doesn't mean you should compromise the safety of others. you conveniently ignore that. I've said what I have to say here to you, so do with it as you wish.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #16
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
How do you "tune" a headlight? No pun intended. Curious.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #17
Mango
A full five stars, son

Tinting your headlights black is like buying high-end speakers then wrapping them in three layers of zip-loc bags, turning up the audio, then sagging your pants and rocking to a beat that you can't hear.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-17-2014, 03:11 AM   #18
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Replacing the battery shouldn't affect that. How long have you had the car? Doesn't seem likely the coding would change mysteriously for no reason.
sometimes coding could change, ie: the car itself could have DRL's defaulted as off, but on with key memory. Pulling the battery sometimes resets the key memory. Drove me crazy when I was messing with the settings and wondering why some things would sometimes work while others wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by always-there View Post
having proper alignment is a big thing. I opened up my factory xenons for the first time and there was a cloudy substance over the lens of the projector. You can also swap out AL lens for ZKW lens for a sharper cut off-but that's mainly for aesthetics. Replacing bulbs with high quality ones helps too as they dim over time.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=801408

Last edited by eneka; 04-17-2014 at 03:19 AM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #19
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
sometimes coding could change, ie: the car itself could have DRL's defaulted as off, but on with key memory. Pulling the battery sometimes resets the key memory. Drove me crazy when I was messing with the settings and wondering why some things would sometimes work while others wouldn't.
Battery has 0 effect on key memory.

I also agree with Mango on the headlight tint; it's akin to wearing sunglasses at night. Why on Earth would you want to block 70-95% of the light your headlights produce?

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 04-17-2014 at 05:54 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #20
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by always-there View Post
Several ways. One, coding. Two: projection. washers, spacers, cutoff shield, rv shield. There's a whole sub-community out there involved in light modding. Then as Eneka mentioned, the lenses.

Not sure if you are genuinely trying to learn or trying to be a smartass

OVER A MILLION VIEWS