E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #681
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Trash get us some form videos of squats

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #682
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Trash get us some form videos of squats

I'll squat again next week if my back is feeling good. Hopefully I remember. I haven't forgot the other one you wanted me to do, but I've had limited time in the gym and don't want to sub out any of my preferred routine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #683
Trashcan

Been doing legs way different the last couple weeks. Starting out with a main focus on hams (6-8 sets of 15-20 reps leg curls) then 4-6 sets 12-15 reps leg extensions, 8 sets of calves around 15 reps throughout those, then ending with squats at around 8-15 reps (usually a pyramid) for about 5-6 sets. Squats at the end are total killers! I'm definitely in love with doing legs this way. I feel like it balances my hams with my quads way better and it works ya!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #684
DylloS

Ever try Romanian deads for hams. Killer. I personally would start with the squats since it's the "big" lift and you want all your energy with that first but I'm sure what you're doing is fine.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #685
Trashcan

Idk what they're called but I also work in a squat/deadlift movement some days and do less quad work. Bar on floor, I stand with one leg on each side, bend down with a straight back, and power up with mostly hams and glutes, ending with the bar between my legs.

Squatting at the end makes it more difficult, makes for a good strong end and let's me focus better on weak points and fine tune a good balance of my development. You know pushing heavy weight isn't my main goal, so squatting first doesn't matter to me.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #686
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
romanian deads are good, same thing with leg curls .... but don't discount the hamstring/hip development you get from going ATG on squats
Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #687
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Tossing in pre-exhausting techniques every now and then is all fine and well, but I personally still prefer to do my heavy main lift at the start of my workout.

I too like to finish with a couple sets of back squats at the end of my lower days, however, I use it more as a finisher. For example, I'll still perform my heavy squats sets at the start of my workout. I'll then proceed with my accessory work. If by the end of my workout I still have time and gas left in the tank, I'll do another set or two of squats as a finisher. Load up the bar with 225 and just go for some hypertrophy until I collapse lol.

Another great, and very underrated exercise imo, for the posterior chain are some Glute-Ham raises.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #688
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
Idk what they're called but I also work in a squat/deadlift movement some days and do less quad work. Bar on floor, I stand with one leg on each side, bend down with a straight back, and power up with mostly hams and glutes, ending with the bar between my legs.

Squatting at the end makes it more difficult, makes for a good strong end and let's me focus better on weak points and fine tune a good balance of my development. You know pushing heavy weight isn't my main goal, so squatting first doesn't matter to me.

Think those are called jefferson deadlifts or jeffersonian

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #689
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:

pushing heavy weight may not be your main goal but recruiting maximal muscle fibers should be. If you want good leg development you need to learn to squat heavy and with full range of motion. Don't over complicate things, do your heavy, most compound movements first

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:32 AM   #690
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
pushing heavy weight may not be your main goal but recruiting maximal muscle fibers should be. If you want good leg development you need to learn to squat heavy and with full range of motion. Don't over complicate things, do your heavy, most compound movements first
I'm still hitting a full rom and squatting heavy (in relation to my energy left after draining the muscles). I like the change in doing things differently for a bit and will not do this forever though

Old 04-27-2014, 02:40 AM   #691
Trashcan

Went to my first bodybuilding competition tonight. Actually the one I hope to be ready for next year. It was local, so not crazy talent (don't get me wrong, there were some impressive athletes there, just a lot of crap). 200 competitors including women. I felt like I could have dominated a good amount of the lower weight classes in my current "off season" physique, but definitely need work to be competitive at the heavy or super heavyweight classes I'd like to compete in. It was a great experience and I learned a lot (how average routines are constructed, what the atmosphere is like, expected competition and just a good feel for it). I can't wait to be ready to get up there and actually feel a bit more comfortable now!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #692
Trashcan

Got in my first actual shoulder workout in in 4 months since my injury. Worked very cautiously and slowly worked up in weight.

Seated db shoulder press:
35x12
45x12
55x10
65x10
75x8
80x8

Then I did a quick "strip set"
65x8
50x8
35x15

Then I tried to do some standing shoulder raises, but even with just 20lb db's the movement agitated the shoulder too much, so after 2 or 3 reps I decided it wasn't worth it.

Seated bb oh shoulder press:
45x10
95x10
135x10
165x8

Quick drop
135x8
115x8
95x10

Being my first time back doing shoulders since forever, I didn't run it out long or push anything too hard, but considering the time off, I'm pretty happy with how it went. I can tell the shoulder isn't quite 100% yet, but it's a relief to finally get a shoulder day in again, even if it's a cautious day.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #693
DylloS

Glad your back man
Old 07-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #694
Trashcan

Thanks. It's nice to be back and getting into the swing of things and staying dedicated again. Although, I won't lie, enjoying life differently wasn't exactly bad.

I'm trying to keep things more properly balanced this time

Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #695
Trashcan

Chest today. Went well, but that shoulder is always nagging me a bit. I listen well though. Far from my old numbers, but still not bad. Been getting better every week though

Incline bb bench:
45 x 15
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 7
225 x 6

Strip set
245 x 3
195 x 6
145 x 8
95 x 10
45 x 16

Incline DB press:
45 x 8
60 x 8
75 x 8
80 x 8
85 x 6

Strip set
80 x 6
55 x 6
40 x 10

Cable flies:
38 x 20
43 x 15
43 x 15
Switched to cables at lowest setting
38 x 20
38 x 17
38 x 18

Did a little tricep and forearm work in between sets also. Great pump and happy with the comeback so far!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #696
Trashcan

My squat numbers aren't what they used to be, but I've been experimenting with workings legs differently and not using squats nearly as much. I do still squat once a week usually (train legs 2-3x a week now) but I've put heavy, low rep squatting aside for the time being. I've liked the progress thus far. I've also focused better on hamstring development.

Also to the guys that shared with calf work, i haven't made any amazing changes in the last 2 weeks, but the tips that were shared have definitely helped and I'm looking forward to see how the next couple weeks effect them. Just for fun, here's legs progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408931308798.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	570618  
Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #697
Trashcan

Second time doing t bar rows today and i have to say I'm a fan! Got up to 6 plates and they don't ever say anything about dropping weights like that at my gym.

I have to be honest, i really like the sound of 6 plates smacking the ground :shh:
Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #698
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
How many plates can you lift with T rows as in pic? So back is totally isolated and lower back/legs cannot assist as with standard t rows.

Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM   #699
Trashcan

Idk. I did it with a bb stuck into the corner of a squat rack because my weekday gym doesn't have one of those. 6 plates, form honestly wasn't flawless, but i figured by now you understood I'm a strict form lifter 95% of the time. 5 plates form was perfect. Maybe i could do more weight on the supported one you showed?
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #700
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Idk. I did it with a bb stuck into the corner of a squat rack because my weekday gym doesn't have one of those. 6 plates, form honestly wasn't flawless, but i figured by now you understood I'm a strict form lifter 95% of the time. 5 plates form was perfect. Maybe i could do more weight on the supported one you showed?
You'll do much less on the supported one. As z00 pointed out, back is isolated and you're not getting any drive from legs/core.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote