E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 244 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #2001
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
A few postings up, I'm the one who asked if this will work on Windows 8. The next day I bought a laptop with Windows 8 and first thing I did was upgrade it to 8.1 for free. I then went to the link Oldboy provided and followed those directions exactly as posted. Pretty easy to install and everything works flawlessly. Cleared my code and it stayed away but then a few days later my fuel pump went out. Lol. Fixed that and all is fine now. Crazy thing is I don't have much use for the new laptop besides running PA Soft since I do most of my stuff on my tablet now. Lol.
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #2002
CNels

My Ride: 2000 328ci
I finally got my copy of pa soft.I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get it working on Windows 7 laptop.I have done search after search but nothing seems to work.It is installed,but there is no driver detected.I am not a computer guy,and this is way over my head.Does anyone have a good link to this issue?I found one with very explicit instr. for windows 7.It isn't working for me! Thanks for any guidance,links,etc..
Craig
CNels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #2003
CNels

Quick question should the green light on the scanner go on when it's plugged into the computer?Mine doesn't, it flickers if you move it around a bit or barely plug the cable into the scanner.Sorry for all the questions.Believe me I have been searching!!! Pretty disappointed in not being able to get it up and running.

Last edited by CNels; 04-18-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:06 AM   #2004
Oldboy

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNels View Post
I finally got my copy of pa soft.I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get it working on Windows 7 laptop.I have done search after search but nothing seems to work.It is installed,but there is no driver detected.I am not a computer guy,and this is way over my head.Does anyone have a good link to this issue?I found one with very explicit instr. for windows 7.It isn't working for me! Thanks for any guidance,links,etc..
Craig
Check out my previous post #1999. In this thread that I used, it instructs you to download a driver and then tells you how to manually load the driver for the PA Soft cable.

The cable draws its power from the car, so it is necessary for the cable to be installed with the key on for your laptop to "see" the cable. Download the driver from the link, then follow the step in the post. I'm no computer expert, but I managed to get it done & I can assure you the link can get you there too! Good Luck! Give it a shot, if you can't seem to get through it, send me a PM, I'll do my best with my limited PC skills to help you out.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #2005
CNels

Thank you,oldboy,for the reply.I really appreciate the offer for help! I saw your previous post and those were the instructions I tried to follow.For some reason,my computer wont let me install that driver.I get a message that something must be 'elevated' I got so frustrated that I uninstalled the whole thing.I figured I would try again when I was a little calmer.
Pretty frustrating.I bought this as a bit of a project car.I have done all the ignored maint.,and the car is a joy to drive.I had hopes that getting this scanner,and working out my ABS/ASC/ brake trifecta was the last step.I am not giving up...but I had to walk away from the laptop!!

Last edited by CNels; 04-19-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #2006
anandoc

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
I get a message that something must be 'elevated'
Right click on the driver executable file and click "Run as administrator". This will run the EXE in 'elevated' mode.

2004 BMW 330i premium package
Old 04-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #2007
NoGuru

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Thank you,oldboy,for the reply.I really appreciate the offer for help! I saw your previous post and those were the instructions I tried to follow.For some reason,my computer wont let me install that driver.I get a message that something must be 'elevated' I got so frustrated that I uninstalled the whole thing.I figured I would try again when I was a little calmer.
Pretty frustrating.I bought this as a bit of a project car.I have done all the ignored maint.,and the car is a joy to drive.I had hopes that getting this scanner,and working out my ABS/ASC/ brake trifecta was the last step.I am not giving up...but I had to walk away from the laptop!!
If you can't get it working, PM me and we can schedule a remote session and I will install it for you. This is what I do for a living.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #2008
CNels

Thank you both.I really appreciate the replies,and offers to help.I will try again,using the '' Run as administrator''.If that fails,I will take you up on your offer NoGuru. This is a great forum,and has been of immense help to me.I have restored a couple older cars in the past,but the BMW has been a challenge.The mechanics aren't that tough,but the electronics have been challenging for me.Thanks again
Craig
Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #2009
RelaxIN

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Has anyone been able to get the passenger side mirror to adjust to the way they wanted when in reverse using PA Soft....? When I go to make the adjustments, my mirror options are greyed out....? I read hundreds of posts, some of which address this issues, but not one of them mention how to fix it... Thoughts...?
RelaxIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #2010
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxIN View Post
Has anyone been able to get the passenger side mirror to adjust to the way they wanted when in reverse using PA Soft....? When I go to make the adjustments, my mirror options are greyed out....? I read hundreds of posts, some of which address this issues, but not one of them mention how to fix it... Thoughts...?

I've only been able to do it in DIS
Old 05-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #2011
BMOne

My Ride: 325CI 03
What do you mean adjust the way they wanted?
BMOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #2012
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOne View Post
What do you mean adjust the way they wanted?
I forgot what its called but it was "selective mode" or something. Normally when you leave the mirror switch in the driver position, it will tilt down in reverse, with this mode enabled, when the switch is in the drivers side it is disabled, when you switch to the passenger side and in reverse gear,you can adjust the tilt of the mirror. Once you shift of of reverse it'll revert to the original position.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #2013
RelaxIN

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
I forgot what its called but it was "selective mode" or something. Normally when you leave the mirror switch in the driver position, it will tilt down in reverse, with this mode enabled, when the switch is in the drivers side it is disabled, when you switch to the passenger side and in reverse gear,you can adjust the tilt of the mirror. Once you shift of of reverse it'll revert to the original position.

Yup... What he said...! My options however are greyed out.... And I can't figure out how to get them un-greyed..
RelaxIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #2014
Oldboy

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
If you can't get it working, PM me and we can schedule a remote session and I will install it for you. This is what I do for a living.
I have purchased INPA/ECS Expert & DIS from Romainian Diagnostic. I am having trouble getting it up and running on Windows 8. Is this something you are willing to remote in and help me with? PM sent.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #2015
Abby77

My Ride: 2004 330XI
Hey guys just wanted to let you know if anyone will be at the carlisle show the 16-18 of this month ill have all my coding stuff with me and also ill have a bunch of volvo and bmw parts there for sale

Last edited by Abby77; 05-06-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Abby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #2016
Strykr24

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Ok so I was clearing the codes that I had and running diags/tests (basically just seeing what I could do with the program when I got it). I ran the indicator test on my cluster and now my OBC display (odo, trip, OBC readout, and gear selector) are very dim. Any insight on how to increase the brightness? And no... The brightness adjuster doesn't work.
Strykr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #2017
dragondrpr

My Ride: 03 325xi
I can read lots of code but it not reading my ecu...any help?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by dragondrpr; 05-09-2014 at 05:50 PM.
dragondrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #2018
ashE46

My Ride: e46 316 1.9 m43
@dragondrpr, are pins 7 and 8 within the dongle connected?
ashE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #2019
dragondrpr

My Ride: 03 325xi
yes they are ....
dragondrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #2020
edmancheung

My Ride: 330ci
I'm just posting my experience here with xcar360. Just to be clear, I have 3 vehicles I work on at home, well 4 if you include the motorcycle. A little background as to why I'm posting this negative experience. I've bought a total of 3 scan tools from xcar, one for my 330ci, one for my wife's VW Jetta, and the most recent and having issues with, my 96 Tacoma. I would have bought one for my Ducati if they sold one, not now, not ever again.

My first two purchases for my 330 and VW were trouble free, mostly due to help from the forums. My recent purchase for my truck, not so good. It's further exacerbated by the lack of support and communication from xcar. The software has it's own diagnostic tool to determine what pins are not communicating, ground and power = good, the signals no go. I've tested this on my friends tacomas with the same results. Xcar responded once asking for a capture of the diag screen. Sent it and after several emails have not heard a peep from them. I've even threatened a charge back, however, since it is only posted via paypal , PayPal gets dinged and PayPal gets pissed at you and may even close out your account.

At this point all I can do is eat my $60 loss and tell everyone my experience and hope you don't ever need support or a cable swap. I'd find another avenue to purchsase if you can.

Last edited by edmancheung; 05-12-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Not finished.
edmancheung is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft