E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #21
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by always-there View Post
Used to have a Mazda3, and it sucked after a while. Why do I say that? I speak from experience. Mazda's reliability isn't what it used to be, they tend to have issues now that Ford owns 70% of Mazda. Look in the engine bay, you'll find plenty of parts stamped with the "Fomoco" logo or whatever. I remember driving off the lot happy with the new metropolitan grey mazda3 hatch, happy it was new and that I could fit a crap load of stuff in it. I thought perfect....until 3 weeks of owning it the power steering pump just blew at a local library one afternoon while picking my little sister up. The dash had a power steering symbol light up, steering wheel felt like it locked and there was power steering fluid all over the ground. Anywho, they took care of it but, that should have never happened to a brand new car. If you're gonna' go through with a mazda, at least get the mazdaspeed3. Actually, if you can find one get the mazdaspeed 6. Much better.
Why the Ford hatred. Best American car manufacturer today. Very well designed and manufactured European cars too. There isn't anything wrong with a Ford. Have you driven a Ford lately?

Mazda's reliability isn't what it used to be? What did it used to be then? Mazda never was as trouble-free as Toyota or Honda if that's what you meant. Right about square with Nissan, which is better than Mitsubishi. And if you're not as trouble-free as Toyota or Honda then you're about as trouble-free as everything else.

As others have pointed out, Ford doesn't own a majority stake in Mazda anymore, not that said ownership had any detrimental effect upon quality or reliability to begin with.

Last edited by hitbyastick; 04-24-2014 at 05:15 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #22
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Agreed. I've actually been considering looking at the new Mazda 3. I like the new one a lot. I've seen two on the road already. They look fantastic in black. I wanted an E55 at one point but I'm now leaning towards something that isn't a maintenance queen.
They really do look great in black. There's also a grey/bronze metallic that really has my eye. Not sure if I would spec the car fully loaded as it does get pricey. But honestly, a mid/upper level trim is hard to beat in it's class, especially the hatch.

** Removed - Tim330i **
VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #23
VishTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by always-there View Post
If you're gonna' go through with a mazda, at least get the mazdaspeed3. Actually, if you can find one get the mazdaspeed 6. Much better.
The last generation mazdaspeed 3 had a ton of torque steer. Fiesta ST would be a better option IMHO.

** Removed - Tim330i **
Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #24
Encryption76
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76 Send a message via Skype™ to Encryption76
Would be a no brainer for me anyways. I just wouldn't buy a new car period. I would look for one maybe a year or two old that has a clean maintenance history and has had most of the bugs worked out.

Besides that... M3.
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #25
jsickz32

My Ride: 2002 325ci
M3
jsickz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #26
Johnthepug

My Ride: E46 coupe
m3 will always hold its money more than a mazda so up to you but no mazda has the presence of a bmw on the road no matter what you see a M3 even the wife says and she knows s""t about cars says i bet thats fast a mazda with a bodykit doesnt look anything i like mazdas think they great cars but after a bmw no get a M3.
Johnthepug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #27
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
The thing is having two E46s is a bit excessive in cost and/or time especially if you want to maintain both correctly. The OP has to be fine with this

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #28
jsickz32

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
The thing is having two E46s is a bit excessive in cost and/or time especially if you want to maintain both correctly. The OP has to be fine with this

Just like dating two bishes at the same time. If they are hot then its worth the money and time.
jsickz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #29
330Lover_

My Ride: 2001 330i bk/bk step
Having my 330i is the dream come true already. Just last week in the gas station, a dude asked "did you have it repainted? I said no. He said that is
the cleanest 330i I have ever seen, what year, did you buy it used? I said 2001 and I bought it brand new" ......

Having an E46M3 will be my biggest dream, I actually think I am too selfish to do that.
I can do half DIY on my 330 and I think I could do more than half if I had a spare car.

But Mango got to the point, I am already busy to keep my 330 in good shape...2 E46=>?

01' 330i, step, bk/bk, moon, xenon, cd, 18x8 ASA AR1, 225/40/18 all around, Koni Yellow shock, Eibach Pro-spring, Axxis brake pads, 20mm rear spacers
330Lover_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #30
Maddmatt

My Ride: 328i MSport Manual
I'd buy the M3, sell the older E46 and consider buying a cheaper backup car for when the M3 has issues.
Maddmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #31
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Mazda3 versus an M3? Seriously? What could possibly be going on in that tiny little brain of yours to think these two cars are even remotely on the same plane?
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #32
VishTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Mazda3 versus an M3? Seriously? What could possibly be going on in that tiny little brain of yours to think these two cars are even remotely on the same plane?
It's not one versus the other, it's about the direction OP wants to go with the next car he gets. I wouldn't belittle people as you won't get far in life that way, especially with that tiny little brain of yours

** Removed - Tim330i **

Last edited by VishTheFish; 04-24-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #33
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by VishTheFish View Post
I wouldn't belittle people as you won't get far in life that way
Far with who? With you? Are you that self absorbed to think I need something from you? Or maybe you mean far in life? Hard work is what gets people far. Being nice doesn't mean sht.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #34
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
2011 Model Years:

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #35
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishTheFish View Post
It's not one versus the other, it's about the direction OP wants to go with the next car he gets. I wouldn't belittle people as you won't get far in life that way, especially with that tiny little brain of yours
He's a machinist. He doesn't need people skills.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #36
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
^^^ That explains a lot
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #37
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsickz32 View Post
Just like dating two bishes at the same time. If they are hot then its worth the money and time.
Yeah but in this case one is significantly hotter than the other and the less hot one is only getting used and treated when the hot one is being a **** and won't put out.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #38
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Are we still talking about cars here.....
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #39
Encryption76
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76 Send a message via Skype™ to Encryption76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
Are we still talking about cars here.....
Is there any difference? They both like to bitch from time to time.. Both cost lots of money...

Last edited by Encryption76; 04-24-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #40
Jools

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
That's true and all, but the Mazda doesn't seem to make a ton of sense given his particular usage scenario. An E46 330i is a really great daily driver, but it's a daily driver through and through. It's silly to waste one as a weekend or road trip car when you could have something more fun and less practical instead. A Mazda3 is... also a daily driver through and through. If the OP is keeping his 330, then he might as well get something fun (like the M3) as a second car. The M3 is perfectly fine as an occasional daily driver, and it makes a great weekend car too.
Jools is offline   Reply With Quote