E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
SLO Town
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Educational: H&R Sport vs Eibach Pro-Kit on E46 330Ci and the downsides of lowering

Hello:

I am not starting this thread to stir up a conflict on this forum. Rather, I'm starting this thread to educate people on the risks associated with lowering springs.

Lowering springs have a very serious negative - that being the fact that they reduce suspension travel; specifically suspension travel from the resting height to that when the bumpstop is contacted under compression.

I have a series of pictures that lead me to believe that the H&R Sport springs on my bought new 2003 E46 330Ci ZSP reduce suspension travel too much. I think the reduction in suspension travel was a factor in the seizure of my right front Bilstein Sport strut. This strut had only 30K miles on it.

Those who are familiar with me know that I am obsessively meticulous, respectful of automotive capabilities and limits, and that I perform 100% of my own mechanical work - all of it to a very high standard. In other words, this thread is not the result of some kind of installation error or product misuse.

I will be the first to admit that H&R Sport springs provide a much more aggressive look than the Eibach Pro-Kit springs. See the comparative pictures and I'm sure you'll agree. Let me add this, the Eibach Pro-Kit springs raised the front of my ZSP optioned car to stock height in front, 1/4 inch lower in back. In other words, if you have a ZSP or ZHP 330Ci and want a slammed look, don't get the Pro-Kits springs.

I have fine tuned the chassis of my 330Ci to a very high level. With the H&R Sport springs I found that the best balance was achieved with my H&R F/R anti-roll bar set to full soft on front, the midpoint on the rear. After installing the Eibach Pro-Kit springs and testing the car on my favorite section of road (smooth and grippy), it felt like I had put all season tires on it. I was amazed how much the handling had degraded. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Because of mechanical (softer spring rates) and non-mechanical (higher center of gravity) changes, I re-adjusted my anti-rolls bars to full stiff in front, full stiff in back. I also changed tire pressures from 32/32 to 34/34. This made a HUGE difference, my car regaining about 95% of the lateral grip it had with the H&R Sport springs. The car is still exceptionally quick and extremely well balanced.

Ride-wise, the Eibach Pro-Kit springs are much, much softer riding then the H&R Sport springs. I greatly value "transient response" and, in truth, I lost some of that with the softer Eibachs. However, I did regain most of it by setting the anti-rolls bars full stiff. With the chassis loaded up in corner, the stiffness of the H&R/Eibach setups feels very similar (because of the different anti-roll bar settings). In some ways, I am enjoying the softer ride. Not only is it less jarring, I'm sure it's easier on the chassis as well (e.g. strut towers).

The pictures say it all. Take a look. It would take a 3,000 word essay to fully describe all the nuances. I won't do that but feel free to ask questions. I have weekend guests so be patient.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H&R Sport Springs.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	557771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eibach Pro-Kit springs.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	557772   Click image for larger version

Name:	E46 330Ci front springs.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	557773   Click image for larger version

Name:	E46 330Ci rear springs.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	557774  

Name:	Bumpstop contact, H&R mid-travel wear point, Eibach mid-point wear point.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	557775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension travel comparison.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	557776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Good strut, bad strut.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	557784  
Original Owner 2003 330Ci ZSP, 3145 lbs, 5-spd, leather, Alcantara wheel, 19x8.5" BBS, RE-11s, ZHP FCAs/diff cover/weighted knob, M3 eng + trans mounts/outer RCABs/RCABs with Turner limiters, Group N inner RCABs, Bilstein Sports (E36 M3 rears), Eibach P-K, H&R bars, BMW Performance Rotors, Turner caliper bushings, StopTech lines, Borla, RE pullies/RSM, Stewart WP, M-Technic Trunk Spoiler, Mason pedal/strut bar/end links, B&M shifter, UUC DSSR

SLO Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Thank you for the analysis.. Slightly different question, what kind of bump stops are you using in your setup? Brand/model?

I have the Eibach pro-kit, with the bilstein sports as well, front bars to mid-stiff, rear to full stiff

Thanks!!!
Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
SLO Town
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Thank you for the analysis.. Slightly different question, what kind of bump stops are you using in your setup? Brand/model?

I have the Eibach pro-kit, with the bilstein sports as well, front bars to mid-stiff, rear to full stiff

Thanks!!!
You're welcome.

The bumpstops I'm using are the ones that come part of the Bilstein Sports. The front struts have the internal bumpstops that reside inside the strut body.

With just 5/8 inch suspension travel (from resting height to first contact with bumpstop), I think the OEM rubber strut bearings become even more important because it offers a second rubber bumpstop. I think a set of solid bearing camber plates would greatly amplify the impacts into the strut tower when the suspension bottoms out.

Scott
Original Owner 2003 330Ci ZSP, 3145 lbs, 5-spd, leather, Alcantara wheel, 19x8.5" BBS, RE-11s, ZHP FCAs/diff cover/weighted knob, M3 eng + trans mounts/outer RCABs/RCABs with Turner limiters, Group N inner RCABs, Bilstein Sports (E36 M3 rears), Eibach P-K, H&R bars, BMW Performance Rotors, Turner caliper bushings, StopTech lines, Borla, RE pullies/RSM, Stewart WP, M-Technic Trunk Spoiler, Mason pedal/strut bar/end links, B&M shifter, UUC DSSR

SLO Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Good Info, Thanks...
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Lowering springs have a very serious negative - that being the fact that they reduce suspension travel; specifically suspension travel from the resting height to that when the bumpstop is contacted under compression.
I have the H&R Touring Cup Kit which uses the sport springs. I've found that the suspension doesn't compress as much as it used to even considering it's starting from an already more compressed point. Speed bumps I used to have to crawl over lest the chassis thump down on it are actually less of a problem...
Old 07-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Are the Bilstein Sport struts designed to match the spring rate of the H&R Sport springs? I'm guessing it would be a coincidence if they were. If they are under or overdamped, that would definitely have an effect on handling.

Also, a less obvious but significant effect of lowering springs is the change in suspension geometry. That's a pretty deep and detailed area, but in short altering the geometry alters handling characteristics and accelerates wear on ball joints and all other wear items within the suspension. In some cases, lowering a car may actually degrade the handling characteristics.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Are the Bilstein Sport struts designed to match the spring rate of the H&R Sport springs? I'm guessing it would be a coincidence if they were. If they are under or overdamped, that would definitely have an effect on handling.

Also, a less obvious but significant effect of lowering springs is the change in suspension geometry. That's a pretty deep and detailed area, but in short altering the geometry alters handling characteristics and accelerates wear on ball joints and all other wear items within the suspension. In some cases, lowering a car may actually degrade the handling characteristics.
Bilstein claims they worked with H&R (or vise versa) to develop a perfectly compatible pairing between the two. Personally I'd still buy the E36 (95-99) M3 Bilstein sports for the rear.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
More important than valving, the Bilstein struts should use a shorter strut shaft, thus reducing the impact of the reduction in travel from the new springs.

That's what I've been told is the difference between the Bilstein HD and Bilstein Sport, is that the sport is designed for lowering springs.

Are you sure you have Bilstein sports?

I have an almost identical set of mods on my car to yours... Right now I'm using Pro-Kit springs with Koni FSDs, and finding them a little soft for my taste, been thinking about moving to the Bilstein sports, and had considered the H&R sport springs as well, but if that's a problematic setup, I'll avoid it.

Does anyone know what the spring rate difference is between the Pro-Kit and the H&R Sport springs?
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
ajai

My Ride: 330ci***65104; 328i
What was your alignment spec with h&r

Thanks

missed the ci, welcome the i
ajai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Tbone8ty

My Ride: 2003 330i
Does it help if you have adjustable coilovers like HSD's?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140618_090738.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	564624   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0332.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	564625  

Black 2003 BMW 330i 5-spd Sport Package
Tbone8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Town View Post
Hello:

I am not starting this thread to stir up a conflict on this forum. Rather, I'm starting this thread to educate people on the risks associated with lowering springs.

I have a series of pictures that lead me to believe that the H&R Sport springs on my bought new 2003 E46 330Ci ZSP reduce suspension travel too much. I think the reduction in suspension travel was a factor in the seizure of my right front Bilstein Sport strut. This strut had only 30K miles on it.

Those who are familiar with me know that I am obsessively meticulous, respectful of automotive capabilities and limits, and that I perform 100% of my own mechanical work - all of it to a very high standard. In other words, this thread is not the result of some kind of installation error or product misuse.

I will be the first to admit that H&R Sport springs provide a much more aggressive look than the Eibach Pro-Kit springs. See the comparative pictures and I'm sure you'll agree. Let me add this, the Eibach Pro-Kit springs raised the front of my ZSP optioned car to stock height in front, 1/4 inch lower in back. In other words, if you have a ZSP or ZHP 330Ci and want a slammed look, don't get the Pro-Kits springs.

I have fine tuned the chassis of my 330Ci to a very high level. With the H&R Sport springs I found that the best balance was achieved with my H&R F/R anti-roll bar set to full soft on front, the midpoint on the rear. After installing the Eibach Pro-Kit springs and testing the car on my favorite section of road (smooth and grippy), it felt like I had put all season tires on it. I was amazed how much the handling had degraded. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Because of mechanical (softer spring rates) and non-mechanical (higher center of gravity) changes, I re-adjusted my anti-rolls bars to full stiff in front, full stiff in back. I also changed tire pressures from 32/32 to 34/34. This made a HUGE difference, my car regaining about 95% of the lateral grip it had with the H&R Sport springs. The car is still exceptionally quick and extremely well balanced.

Ride-wise, the Eibach Pro-Kit springs are much, much softer riding then the H&R Sport springs. I greatly value "transient response" and, in truth, I lost some of that with the softer Eibachs. However, I did regain most of it by setting the anti-rolls bars full stiff. With the chassis loaded up in corner, the stiffness of the H&R/Eibach setups feels very similar (because of the different anti-roll bar settings). In some ways, I am enjoying the softer ride. Not only is it less jarring, I'm sure it's easier on the chassis as well (e.g. strut towers).

The pictures say it all. Take a look. It would take a 3,000 word essay to fully describe all the nuances. I won't do that but feel free to ask questions. I have weekend guests so be patient.

Scott
With the strut fully extended (as per picture where you're measuring), is it acceptable to have a very small play between the shaft and the body? That is, having the bottom of strut and top of the shaft bolted in place, grabbing the shaft at the lowest point (where it meets the body) reveals some play
Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
seattle330

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Bilstein Sport shock/struts and H&R Sport springs, as I was told by a number of people that they match well. Would a set of the Bilstein HDs improve the travel, or be too soft for those springs?
seattle330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #13
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle330 View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Bilstein Sport shock/struts and H&R Sport springs, as I was told by a number of people that they match well. Would a set of the Bilstein HDs improve the travel, or be too soft for those springs?

Preferably Bilstein Sports, not HD's.

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
seattle330

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Perfect, thanks!
seattle330 is offline   Reply With Quote