E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 06-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
strobed58

My Ride: 2002 325i
n00b alert

Hi! I've been lurking on these forums for awhile, but thought it was time to introduce myself. I'm looking to buy my first BMW and think I'd like to go with the e46. One of my main reasons is the great community you have here and the wealth of information available. I've never done any of my own maintenance on a car, but think with the support of this forum I can try to take on some of the simpler tasks while taking it to a shop for more complex tasks. Hopefully I'll be a owner of one real soon, just need to find the right one to buy!

I created a thread asking for advice about a car I'm currently looking at:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=16185857
strobed58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Dont worry about being a noob. Its a learning experience for everyone. Welcome!
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
strobed58

Thanks! I ended up buying a Red 2002 325i with 94k miles a few weeks ago and I've already completed a few simple tasks. So far I've removed a sirius XM antennae + dash mount from the car, put in a new battery, and replaced the rotors and brakes (brake light came on 2 days after I bought it!). I'm not sure what's next. Probably some of the stuff from Mango's maintenance checklist before I look into the cooling system.

I bought an aux in cable for the stereo but realized too late that my stereo isn't capable so I'll have to figure out my next move on that front. I don't really want to go aftermarket so I may try to find one from a later model to swap in. Fortunately I still had some good cds in my basement to hold me over for now.

JH
Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
kermitthefloer

My Ride: 04 330ci/ 99 S70
Just so you know putting a later model in there will remedy your aux issue but mostlikely you will need to splice a radio antennae from a later car so the radio will work.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-07-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
strobed58

For now I ended up following this write up and soldering aux in directly to the circuit board:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=8247418

Soldering is no problem for me so I thought it'd be easy, but it was actually pretty difficult to get the stereo apart and back together. It took a beating while I pried and pulled it apart, in fact I was mentally prepared for it to be completely broken, but I plugged in a few minutes ago and it's working aux and all! I may add a ground loop isolator / preamp to the aux in, but for now I have an input that didn't cost me anything since I had the parts laying around!