E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #21
erickonphoenix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 222
My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny147 View Post
Erik,

Im not being a jerk but I know the rules about certification; I'm a 10000 hour FAA ATP pilot.

The problem with Norwegian is that they're trying to use the maritime off-shore based model, to circumvent Open-skies laws. It isn't a level playing field and gives them an unfair advantage against US registered airlines.

They're a Norwegian headquartered company, flying Irish registered aircraft, that can be flown by Irish/EASA licensed pilots and US FAA certified flight attendants to and from the US, with domiciles/bases in America.

Anyone here who thinks the airlines are raking it in, should do a google search for the combined losses in the US airline industry over the last 10 years. It's staggering.

Ticket prices are the cheapest they've ever been, yet fuel is the single highest expense of any airline today and it's only going to go up.
No it's cool. I understand your point. I was just an aircraft mechanic. I'm not sure how the maritime offshore model will play with the politically volatile US flying public. I know air safety among the majors is retarded strict at least among mechanics. You are definitely right that the airlines don't make as much money as people think they do.
__________________
erickonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #22
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post



Hopefully our politicians don't fvck this up......but who are we kidding?
You mean union thugs right?
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #23
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
The unions would have to consider striking very carefully. Most often, a strike is a union vs employer dispute where the union can portray the employer as the bad guy.

In this case, the union would be walking out on their own employers and customers because of something another employer is doing. That would be a very tough PR sell. The union airlines could point to union demands as the reason they can't be price-competitive, which would make it very tough for the union to paint itself as the good guy.



US airlines are getting rich. At the moment.

The troubles with airlines are they operate on such razor thin margins, it's an extremely price-sensitive market, their volume is huge, and fuel costs can be very unpredictable. So they very quickly go from raking in these incredible profits to losing money like crazy and going bankrupt or being taken over by another airline.

http://travel.iafrica.com/flights/942140.html
I'd love to see them strike and put the airline out of business. Any airline employing union labor deserves to go bankrupt.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:06 AM   #24
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,706
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
No it's cool. I understand your point. I was just an aircraft mechanic. I'm not sure how the maritime offshore model will play with the politically volatile US flying public. I know air safety among the majors is retarded strict at least among mechanics. You are definitely right that the airlines don't make as much money as people think they do.
You should see how United works in the background. I have some friends over at their HQ.

"It's like working for the government. Everyone is so lazy. No one gives a **** cause people are going to fly anyway"

Also, pilot unions screw up everything pretty hard for the business. In fact, service quality actually suffers as a result of them. Ask how I know.

There's demanding fair working conditions, and then there's holding the entire business hostage to make themselves even richer. The two are distinctly different.
__________________

Last edited by Zell; 06-11-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #25
JTLaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beaches are a plenty
Posts: 315
My Ride: Can now offroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny147 View Post
Erik,

Im not being a jerk but I know the rules about certification; I'm a 10000 hour FAA ATP pilot.

The problem with Norwegian is that they're trying to use the maritime off-shore based model, to circumvent Open-skies laws. It isn't a level playing field and gives them an unfair advantage against US registered airlines.

They're a Norwegian headquartered company, flying Irish registered aircraft, that can be flown by Irish/EASA licensed pilots and US FAA certified flight attendants to and from the US, with domiciles/bases in America.

Anyone here who thinks the airlines are raking it in, should do a google search for the combined losses in the US airline industry over the last 10 years. It's staggering.

Ticket prices are the cheapest they've ever been, yet fuel is the single highest expense of any airline today and it's only going to go up.
Your post sounds extremely similar to the ALPA's letter whining about Norwegian - http://www.alpa.org/Portals/Alpa/Pre...7-13_13.68.htm

I don't see how it is an unfair competitive advantage to have flight crews on individual contracts governed by Singapore. They can at least manage these costs instead of constantly being bulled for higher wages and more benefits. At the end of the day, it will be FAR above minimum wage and if the employees do not want to accept their wages they don't have to work for Norwegian. This seems to be the only issue that the unions have an issue with because they will be on the hotseat for keeping the larger airlines from competing.

Fun fact, Ryanair's salaries to revenue is 9% while American, Delta (non-union), and United's salaries to revenue is roundly 23% per their public filings.
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #26
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You mean union thugs right?
Read the first sentence of the article about this going to a vote in the House of Representatives....that's what I meant.

Unions are also fully capable of mucking this all up.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #27
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I'd love to see them strike and put the airline out of business. Any airline employing union labor deserves to go bankrupt.


Such absolutes.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #28
3coupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 298
My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I'd love to see them strike and put the airline out of business. Any airline employing union labor deserves to go bankrupt.
So you'd prefer to take the train/drive?
3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #29
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3coupe View Post
So you'd prefer to take the train/drive?
Sometimes I do, but if I need to fly, I fly. My point is, it brings a smile to my face when ANY company goes bankrupt as a result of union labor thuggery. They deserve it for employing union labor in the first place. GM deserved it, just sucks that the government bailed them out. Detroit FTW eh?
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #30
k2pilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 340
My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
You should see how United works in the background. I have some friends over at their HQ.

"It's like working for the government. Everyone is so lazy. No one gives a **** cause people are going to fly anyway"

Also, pilot unions screw up everything pretty hard for the business. In fact, service quality actually suffers as a result of them. Ask how I know.

There's demanding fair working conditions, and then there's holding the entire business hostage to make themselves even richer. The two are distinctly different.
While not a union guy, I don't see how the pilots are ****ing anything up... Both my friends who went the airline route are at the regionals still getting paid under $32k, years in, for a full-time job... The pilot shortage is going to seriously screw these guys over, because no one wants to get in to a flying career when it's financially impossible. The net result is they're taking anyone they can get (since no new more competent pilots can even get started gaining experience) so they take guys who meet the requirements, and ignore things like a history of incidents (I know one guy who literally crashed a plane, at fault, and got a job no problem at a regional).
__________________
Quote:
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams
k2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use