E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #1101
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
I've almost had a crash like that on a paved trail; got distracted looking at my HRM and my front wheel wandered off the pavement and nearly got swallowed in a hole.

Nice average for a challenging ride.....20mph winds are not fun (unless it's blowing on your back)
I was really looking forward to a nice tailwind on the way back, but by the time we got turned around the wind had shifted. Long day when the wind is against you the entire time.

But as I kept telling myself during the ride, you can't pick the weather conditions on race day so might as well train on the nasty days and get used to it.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #1102
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
How was the Malibu ride? I signed up for the LA River Ride last night. Gonna take a crack at my second century.
Didn't end up going night before was "interesting" got home at 3am kind of good time. We did however ride from Pasadena in to downtown LA. I lead her through highland park which has a couple of good hills on Broadway.

Sounds awesome I might need to look in to that. Might do my first big group ride this weekend we'll see if my friend gets back to me in time.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #1103
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
Quote:
I've had intermittent allergies the last few years after basically having none for the first 40ish years of my life. When they're acting up, I actually feel better if I go for a ride. I think there are two reasons: one, my rides are often at the beach, which probably has fewer allergens in the air, and two, the adrenal response from the exercise clears out my sinuses and I stop sniffling and sneezing while I'm riding.

Not sure that does you any good. I only tell you because I generally like finding reasons not to take pills.
I'm 39 just started getting seasonal allergies last year, riding does help me too.

Last edited by VALMONT; 06-04-2014 at 01:27 PM.
VALMONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #1104
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
The bike I purchased came pre-wired for the Shimano Flight Deck (cadence, gear, speed, distance, etc.). It's missing the computer head which runs about $70. Would a cheaper, almost as effective, alternative be to use an app on my Android phone? I'm thinking of Strava, in particular.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #1105
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Yeah just use an app, cheaper and way more versatile.

I currently use a mix of the following Apps:

Ipbike: Most versatile app, developed by a one man programming genius. The UI appears to be a bit clunky, but it gives you the most amount of control. Plus you can upload your results to other apps like Strava or Training Peaks if you want. I use this app because it runs ANT+ which is required to read my Powertap wheel. Really great app, gives you the most amount of data and options for exporting said data. But I will admit it appears somewhat crude until you figure it out (read the instructions and blog).

Ride with GPS: Best UI, and all around solid app. Extremely intuitive, I'd use this solely if I didn't need the ANT+ compatibility.

Strava: I really don't run Strava anymore, no particular reason....it just seems somewhat primitive when compared to the other 2 above. Yes the social media aspect of it is great and I occasionally still upload my results from Ipbike (have a few friends on Strava). But I don't really get off on comparing my times with others (which is Strava's strong point)

Download them all, test and see which you like best.

Last edited by Ghostie; 06-06-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #1106
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
I made a good attempt at using a phone for a cycle computer this year, let's just say it did not go so well.

First I bought a stem mount from Topeak for my iPhone 4s. Phone is very secure with this mount and easily accessible.

I then downloaded a few different apps to try, Strava, Cyclemeter, MapMyRide, etc. No cadence but average speed, current speed, distance, time, route are available.

The downfall was battery life, it just absolutely kills my battery to use this stuff. Was fine for 50-70 miles or so but anything longer and it is gonna die. Gets even worse if you get outside of town a fair distance and it has to search harder for service. And that was with the screen off, never looked at it. It would be dead very quickly if you left the screen on so you could actually see your stats. Then the major problem is, you are out in the middle of nowhere with a dead phone. Not real comfy being 50 miles from home in the middle of nowhere with no way to contact anyone.

I really wanted it to work but it just isn't there yet. Maybe in a few years when batteries get better. My solution was the Suunto Ambit 2, works great for me as I am a triathlete. If I were going to get something for just biking I would get a Garmin Edge.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #1107
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
If I were going to get something for just biking I would get a Garmin Edge.
I came to the same conclusion for the same reasons.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #1108
RossGuy
E46Fanatic

My Ride: FBM
Got a flat yesterday and had to walk six miles back home. Then to add to it I shat myself when I got home.

Any suggestions for a small fix a flat with a charge to fit in my seat pouch?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #1109
Ghostie

lol, TMI brah.

What's a "small fix a flat with a charge"

List of parts I carry in my saddle bag to get me home in case of most common breakdowns.....I'm not sure they sell a ready made kit (it may well exist, but I've never seen one). You'll most likely have to buy them individually

Spare tube (1)
C02 refills (3)
C02 dispenser
Tube patch kit (1)
Tire patch (a dollar bill will do in a pinch, but I never carry cash)
Chain breaker, plus a few links
Tire lever (I prefer the solid ones with metal inserts)
Multi-tool or allen wrenches
Folding knife (Really just me going the extra mile)
Zip ties.

The further you get from home, the more stuff you'll need to carry.....we've all done the hike-a-bike thing at one point or another.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #1110
Ghostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
I made a good attempt at using a phone for a cycle computer this year, let's just say it did not go so well.

First I bought a stem mount from Topeak for my iPhone 4s. Phone is very secure with this mount and easily accessible.

I then downloaded a few different apps to try, Strava, Cyclemeter, MapMyRide, etc. No cadence but average speed, current speed, distance, time, route are available.

The downfall was battery life, it just absolutely kills my battery to use this stuff. Was fine for 50-70 miles or so but anything longer and it is gonna die. Gets even worse if you get outside of town a fair distance and it has to search harder for service. And that was with the screen off, never looked at it. It would be dead very quickly if you left the screen on so you could actually see your stats. Then the major problem is, you are out in the middle of nowhere with a dead phone. Not real comfy being 50 miles from home in the middle of nowhere with no way to contact anyone.

I really wanted it to work but it just isn't there yet. Maybe in a few years when batteries get better. My solution was the Suunto Ambit 2, works great for me as I am a triathlete. If I were going to get something for just biking I would get a Garmin Edge.
Agreed that battery life can be a major drawback for some.....for someone riding your distances consistently, a dedicated device would definitely be the way to go.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #1111
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I picked up a nice new saddle for a great price. I rode on one for a bit on a friends bike and liked it quite a bit.

20140612_073802

The one that came with my bike has been well used, so it'll be nice to replace it.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 06-12-2014 at 07:51 AM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #1112
mcr_driver

Nice I am looking at that one as well. Today is my recon route for my summer school class...manhattan beach to van nuys area, about 32ish miles 4 days a week. Should be fun
Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #1113
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
Got a flat yesterday and had to walk six miles back home. Then to add to it I shat myself when I got home.

Any suggestions for a small fix a flat with a charge to fit in my seat pouch?
Agree with ghostie. Alternatively, or as a place to start: http://genuineinnovations.itwgbx.com...nflation-kits/

Plus a roll of TP for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Nice I am looking at that one as well. Today is my recon route for my summer school class...manhattan beach to van nuys area, about 32ish miles 4 days a week. Should be fun
The scenery is getting very nice along the beach path.

What route are you taking to get into SFV?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #1114
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Bike was shifting really poorly in the back and making an intermittent grindy/creaky noise that I figured to be the bottom bracket. Took it to LBS, they said they fixed. Rode it some more, same issues. So I put the GoPro on so they could see/hear what it was doing.

Rear derailleur now adjusted properly.

However, they think the grindy/creaky noise (from 5:00 to end of video) is from the rear hub. The rear hub bearings are definitely pretty much toast. With the wheel off, if you spin the hub, it's crunchy, not smooth at all.

According to the spec sheet from Specialized's website, the rear hub is a "Specialized forged alloy, 32h, double sealed ball bearings, cassette, QR". LBS says it's not rebuildable.

Do I:

- Replace with the same or very similar hub? Or something else you guys recommend?

- Replace myself or have LBS replace?

- Replace myself and then just have LBS true the wheel?

I ride for fitness and do some long-ish distance charity rides. I don't race, so the last few grams don't matter much to me. I'm a heavy guy, so I ask a lot of the wheels on the bike. I've been out of work for a while, so I'm not really looking to toss a zillion dollar wheelset on the bike right now.

The unit in question:

Forgive the wetness, had just lubed the chain and not wiped off yet.

UPDATE on hub issue: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=1191

Yes
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 06-28-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #1115
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
I would probably try to press out those bearings and replace them.

That's odd though because I've never had a wheel bearing go out and I've put them through hell. Even my 80's mountain bike with many years and thousands of miles is still on the original cartridge bearings.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 AM   #1116
mcr_driver

Quote:
The scenery is getting very nice along the beach path.

What route are you taking to get into SFV?
Down douglas to aviation up sepulveda in to culver city, my route to my old college. from there probably continue along sepulveda most of the way to burbank blvd ending at pierce college.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #1117
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
I'd vote you get a set of custom rims or just rear built with Chris King hubs
Old 06-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #1118
mcr_driver

If he has the budget for it a solid custom built set can be made by your lbs probably for under 1k
Old 06-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #1119
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
xc, hope you get that taken care of.

I went for a quick ride today. I feel bitchy as hell -__-
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #1120
mcr_driver

Shimano finally delivered my warranty shoes feels good to be clipped in again.