E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #121
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
you live somewhere with $4.50 for regular gas and $500k buys a small shack with 0.01 acres of land.... lmao.
You being poor = ?

Also I live on 2 acres... since ur so poor I'll pay u $10 to clean my wrap around driveway since summer is coming, u can use that to heat ur whole house this winter in -0F land

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #122
v8 5

who wants to see my 400ft driveway lol its ****ed up right now, hella tree **** on it. i never hired gardeners

Old 05-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #123
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Hella. Hella.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #124
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Hella. Hella.
Hella hella.

Hella tree **** brah
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:03 AM   #125
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #126
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
You being poor = ?

Also I live on 2 acres... since ur so poor I'll pay u $10 to clean my wrap around driveway since summer is coming, u can use that to heat ur whole house this winter in -0F land
Only thing poor around here is your ability to come up with new material.

If you live on 2 acres in either jersey or cali, you either live in the middle of buttfvck nowhere or are in debt over your eyeballs.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #127
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
He's pretty much the next big name in tech, get your facts straight.

lol

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #128
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
And now Tesla invites everyone to use their patented intellectual property:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-...are-belong-you

Quote:
June 12, 2014
All Our Patent Are Belong To You
By Elon Musk, CEO

Yesterday, there was a wall of Tesla patents in the lobby of our Palo Alto headquarters. That is no longer the case. They have been removed, in the spirit of the open source movement, for the advancement of electric vehicle technology.

Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.

When I started out with my first company, Zip2, I thought patents were a good thing and worked hard to obtain them. And maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors. After Zip2, when I realized that receiving a patent really just meant that you bought a lottery ticket to a lawsuit, I avoided them whenever possible.

At Tesla, however, we felt compelled to create patents out of concern that the big car companies would copy our technology and then use their massive manufacturing, sales and marketing power to overwhelm Tesla. We couldn’t have been more wrong. The unfortunate reality is the opposite: electric car programs (or programs for any vehicle that doesn’t burn hydrocarbons) at the major manufacturers are small to non-existent, constituting an average of far less than 1% of their total vehicle sales.

At best, the large automakers are producing electric cars with limited range in limited volume. Some produce no zero emission cars at all.

Given that annual new vehicle production is approaching 100 million per year and the global fleet is approximately 2 billion cars, it is impossible for Tesla to build electric cars fast enough to address the carbon crisis. By the same token, it means the market is enormous. Our true competition is not the small trickle of non-Tesla electric cars being produced, but rather the enormous flood of gasoline cars pouring out of the world’s factories every day.

We believe that Tesla, other companies making electric cars, and the world would all benefit from a common, rapidly-evolving technology platform.

Technology leadership is not defined by patents, which history has repeatedly shown to be small protection indeed against a determined competitor, but rather by the ability of a company to attract and motivate the world’s most talented engineers. We believe that applying the open source philosophy to our patents will strengthen rather than diminish Tesla’s position in this regard.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #129
choxor

My Ride: JDM
....wtf.

Is he Jesus?

Pretty sure he's Jesus.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #130
Lendo
E46Fanatic

My Ride: Chevy Volt
He's the ****ing man.
Lendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #131
VaderDave
Invictus

Maybe this should be a cross-post with the electric cars thread.

In any event: it's a smart move on his part in a few ways.

1) He's offering his IP as the de facto industry standard
2) If everyone adopts his stuff as the standard, then it makes it a lot easier for a national rollout of charging stations, etc.
3) He's already built his infrastructure to manufacture the stuff--so if everyone else adopts the standard, he's several years ahead of everyone else in terms of physical plant and implementation
Old 06-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #132
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
don't mistake this as anything but a strategic move on his part. they have reached a growth point where they need the public to embrace electric vehicles as quickly as possible. they are a delicate company right now, but are past the point where they can be squashed simply because of technology. i believe any electric car can also recharge at tesla stations for free right now.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #133
VaderDave
Invictus

I think you're right. In this case, what's good for electric cars, as an industry, is probably what's good for Tesla (at least Elon Musk seems to think so).

I'm intrigued by the open-source model he's proposing for electric car technology. It will be interesting to see how that works out.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #134
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I think you're right. In this case, what's good for electric cars, as an industry, is probably what's good for Tesla (at least Elon Musk seems to think so).

I'm intrigued by the open-source model he's proposing for electric car technology. It will be interesting to see how that works out.
a lot of that stuff is already standard mandated by SAE. do you know exactly what technology they are opening up with these patents? i haven't looked.

things like charge station communication protocol and connector are already standardized.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #135
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
a lot of that stuff is already standard mandated by SAE. do you know exactly what technology they are opening up with these patents? i haven't looked.

things like charge station communication protocol and connector are already standardized.
Nope. He had a wall with dozens of patents on it, so they could be anything--big stuff, little stuff, anything in between. I'm not particularly technically educated, so a lot of it may whoosh right over my head on the nuts-and-bolts level.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #136
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

these quotes i think say it all

Quote:
Musk wrote that initially, Tesla created patents for fear that large automakers would copy their technology and use their resources to overwhelm and overtake them. P

The "unfortunate reality," he said, is that large automakers aren't moving quickly enough with electric cars, with those vehicles making up less than 1 percent of their total sales.
had to protect their technology initially, but now are at a point where if electric cars aren't adopted fast enough they will slowly bleed out.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #137
v8 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Only thing poor around here is your ability to come up with new material.

If you live on 2 acres in either jersey or cali, you either live in the middle of buttfvck nowhere or are in debt over your eyeballs.
Lmao you must look at everyone with a new Mercedes and think about how much debt they have. smh this clown

Old 06-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #138
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Lmao you must look at everyone with a new Mercedes and think about how much debt they have. smh this clown
Nope, only the ones that stereotypically can't afford it but 2 acres of land close to anything in California is worth eleventy billion dollars.

If you can afford it then thumbs up to you bro.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote