E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #41
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Tenure - part of a profession that gives you the ability to get yours and keep it.

Capitalism in its purest form.
Tenure is law i.e. regulation. So that means it's not capitalistic.

You're not even a smart communist.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #42
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Public sector jobs equal capitalism....there might be elevated levels of radon at your place.
psssst. . .it's not the job. It's the act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Tenure is law i.e. regulation. So that means it's not capitalistic.

You're not even a smart communist.
See above, Einstein.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #43
WDE46

No that's not capitalism.

Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato

Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #44
Lair

Quote:
No that's not capitalism.

What is it called when you capitalize on something?

Communism?

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #45
WDE46

Quote:

What is it called when you capitalize on something?

Communism?

It's not capitalism in the economic sense. Instituting regulations is the opposite of capitalism.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #46
Lair

Quote:
It's not capitalism in the economic sense. Instituting regulations is the opposite of capitalism.
Like when the governor of Louisiana instituted new regulations that prohibit people from suing oil companies?

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #47
WDE46

Quote:
Like when the governor of Louisiana instituted new regulations that prohibit people from suing oil companies?

Yeah that's not capitalism. Capitalism is free market. That's not free market. Therefore it's not capitalism.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 AM   #48
TIHZ TA3

My Ride: Elise SC
Lair has extra chromosomes
Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #49
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Does this open up teachers to attacks by poor performing kids and their shitty parents?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #50
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Does this open up teachers to attacks by poor performing kids and their shitty parents?
Sure.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #51
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Sure.
So glad I am not a teacher in "everyone is a winner" America where every child is an Einstein and poor performance and behavior would never be the fault of the child.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #52
Lair

Quote:
So glad I am not a teacher in "everyone is a winner" America where every child is an Einstein and poor performance and behavior would never be the fault of the child.
Or the parents. It's never the parents.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #53
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Welcome to society. You can hold the government responsible for that trend.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #54
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Welcome to society. You can hold the government responsible for that trend.
How is this the government's fault? Parents believe and tell their kids they are a genius. And when proven that their precious is not a genius, well it is obviously the fault of someone else--the teacher, school, easy target to not blame kid or parent.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #55
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
How is this the government's fault? Parents believe and tell their kids they are a genius. And when proven that their precious is not a genius, well it is obviously the fault of someone else--the teacher, school, easy target to not blame kid or parent.
Parents vote politicians into office. Parents complain. Politicians vote and change rules. Children can't be disciplined anymore. Children become unruly. Children get their way. Parents are happy. Good teachers exit teaching industry. Bad teachers stick around for a paycheck. Children grow up to become adults and become societal fvck ups. Parents not happy. Cycle repeats itself.

So yeah, you're right, parents are a large part of the problematic equation. Forgive my mistake.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 06-13-2014 at 07:32 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #56
can0n4

My Ride: '04 330xi, '04 X3
tenure does not prevent a school district from removing a teacher. It only protects the teacher from being removed without some type of due process. In a world where every student is a genius, behavioral issues are the teachers fault, and students are out to get you each and every day, its only fair for teachers to have tenure.

So many people on here are willing to post their thoughts and comments regarding how foolish tenure is while being so ignorant to the atmosphere that teachers work in.

In public education what is the reward for a successful school year? For working your butt off to educate the students, all while administration, govt, and parents make it harder. Nothing. No pay raise for performance. Not even a high five.

Each person on here had at least one teacher who influenced them in a positive way, and may have assisted in creating that "spark" that motivated you to do what you do today. Please don't group 100% of the teachers in the same category as the 10% who don't work as hard.

Those of you who recognize the issues stretch much further than the classroom, good for you for being aware of the influences that politicians and parents have on education in our country.

Last edited by can0n4; 06-13-2014 at 10:32 PM.
can0n4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #57
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Due process. Yeah.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_224545...a-can-be-tough

They also laid teachers off based ONLY on seniority. So it didn't matter if you're a gifted teacher, if the shtbag teacher has more seniority than you when budget cuts come it's you who get the boot.

Works out really well for the kids.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/rss/ci_22389672

Works out so well for the kids that if a teacher pleads guilty to assaulting one, it's STILL hard to fire her.

Last edited by choxor; 06-13-2014 at 10:58 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #58
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by can0n4 View Post
tenure does not prevent a school district from removing a teacher. It only protects the teacher from being removed without some type of due process. In a world where every student is a genius, behavioral issues are the teachers fault, and students are out to get you each and every day, its only fair for teachers to have tenure.

So many people on here are willing to post their thoughts and comments regarding how foolish tenure is while being so ignorant to the atmosphere that teachers work in.

In public education what is the reward for a successful school year? For working your butt off to educate the students, all while administration, govt, and parents make it harder. Nothing. No pay raise for performance. Not even a high five.

Each person on here had at least one teacher who influenced them in a positive way, and may have assisted in creating that "spark" that motivated you to do what you do today. Please don't group 100% of the teachers in the same category as the 10% who don't work as hard.

Those of you who recognize the issues stretch much further than the classroom, good for you for being aware of the influences that politicians and parents have on education in our country.
this. poor performing teachers that remain are a fault of administration, not tenure.

people are super uneducated on this topic.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #59
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by can0n4 View Post

In the case in California, the judge found that the "due process" required sometimes cost the state as much as $450K. That's just absurd.

I don't think anyone is grouping all teachers in the same bucket. Only a moron would assert that all teachers are part of this problem.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #60
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
In the case in California, the judge found that the "due process" required sometimes cost the state as much as $450K. That's just absurd.

I don't think anyone is grouping all teachers in the same bucket. Only a moron would assert that all teachers are part of this problem.
the problem with this ruling is that the general public sees this as "now we can fire bad teachers, because they were untouchable under prior laws".

that's just simply not true. the system was to stop the unjust firing of experienced teachers, not to protect sh!tty ones. the current laws allow for the firing of under performing teachers.

a $450k dismissal is insane, i agree. but whats the average cost to dismiss an under performing teacher? i dont want the extremes, the average is more important. (admittedly, i'm uniformed of the average cost)