E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #141
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The Apex kits are mandatory upgrades for any M&P. I may be switching my duty gun to an M&P9 or M&P45 in the near future. Wish I could use my personal M&P9 with Apex DCAEK and RAM, since it's such a drastic upgrade.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #142
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
The Apex kits are mandatory upgrades for any M&P. I may be switching my duty gun to an M&P9 or M&P45 in the near future. Wish I could use my personal M&P9 with Apex DCAEK and RAM, since it's such a drastic upgrade.
Factory guns are required to be 100% stock, correct? How about if it's a factory part, just from a different gun. For example - lighter connector in glocks?
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #143
FutureFuzz 26

My Ride: 2000 imola red 528i
Quote:
I would assume you may know, did they ever resolve the issue with the .45 magizines jamming?
My father retired his Ruger P90 .45 for higher cap M&P.45 for his duty weapon. To only send off all 3 mags for repair, they where consistantly jamming. The follower would get hung and all spring pressure would be lost rendering the last 4 or so rounds uselessly flopping around in the mag

P.S the gun was purchased new in oct 2010

Last edited by FutureFuzz 26; 06-16-2014 at 10:33 PM.
FutureFuzz 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #144
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Factory guns are required to be 100% stock, correct? How about if it's a factory part, just from a different gun. For example - lighter connector in glocks?
It really depends. There are minimal upgrades allowed. My current Gen3 G22 became predictably unreliable when I attached the SureFire DG switch for my X300 Ultra. I had to get agency approval to install Wolff extra power magazine springs for reliability, and it was approved. I am now currently still having the problem to a much lesser degree, but I am toying with getting a heavier Wolff recoil spring assembly to solve the issue once and for all until I get my new gun.
We have a load of Gen4s that just came in and all have been reliable for the most part.

The issue is that I may not be with my current agency much longer.
I may be changing departments to one that is ~20x the size of my current agency. They currently authorize the M&P9 and M&P45 for use. They have had a lot of reliability issues. The department has had a lot of issues with firearms selection and authorization because the out-going rangemaster was basically a retired-on-duty why-change-and-create-work-for-myself thats-the-way-we've-always-done-it kind of guy. Fortunately they just got a new rangemaster who actually knows his shit and is going to solve the problem. He is very well known in the tactical community and they are already looking at eliminating the M&P line. They banned the M&P15 officer-owned rifles a couple years ago after the Mossberg barrel issue.
Current officers who have been around for more than 2 years are grandfathered in and carry numerous models of guns within an authorized list. Most guns carried are Sig and HK. Some are carrying M&Ps. The newest officers are mandated to have the M&P9 or 45 only. The M&P is the first striker-fired gun that they have approved. The talk is that they're going to re-authorize the Sig line, and possibly also the HK. Officers have to buy their own guns, so it is going to be more open.
With the advent of the HK VP9 and Sig P320, they are now opening up consideration to other striker-fired guns. If this happens, word is that they'll also open up to the Glock 17 and 21. Not sure which way I'd go if that happened. For the M&P option, I'd get the 9mm without hesitation.

But to answer your question, they are very restrictive about modifications beyond stock or factory custom shop (within reason). Not sure what they'd allow, but I do know that several guys have stippled the grips of their M&Ps. I'd like to at least do a grip reduction treatment by ATEi or Robar, but that's something I haven't gotten confirmation on yet.

If I stay with my current agency, I will get issued the new Gen4 G22 and get to buy my Gen3. I'll send the Gen3 to Robar or ATEi and get the grip reduction and add an RMR to the slide and install a heavier recoil spring. Then I'll try to get it authorized for duty use on a long term "T&E" basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFuzz 26 View Post
I would assume you may know, did they ever resolve the issue with the .45 magizines jamming?
My father retired his Ruger P90 .45 for higher cap M&P.45 for his duty weapon. To only send off all 3 mags for repair, they where consistantly jamming. The follower would get hung and all spring pressure would be lost rendering the last 4 or so rounds uselessly flopping around in the mag

P.S the gun was purchased new in oct 2010
I am not really sure what went on with that. I know that the M&P pistol line has been problematic with corrosion issues in all models. There have been additional feeding issues noted, light striker hits, and other little gremlins. I'm not sure what has happened with the M&P45. I've honestly paid very little attention to them over the years because most of my time gets spent in the Glock arena.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 06-17-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #145
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
It really depends. There are minimal upgrades allowed. My current Gen3 G22 became predictably unreliable when I attached the SureFire DG switch for my X300 Ultra. I had to get agency approval to install Wolff extra power magazine springs for reliability, and it was approved. I am now currently still having the problem to a much lesser degree, but I am toying with getting a heavier Wolff recoil spring assembly to solve the issue once and for all until I get my new gun.
We have a load of Gen4s that just came in and all have been reliable for the most part.

The issue is that I may not be with my current agency much longer.
I may be changing departments to one that is ~20x the size of my current agency. They currently authorize the M&P9 and M&P45 for use. They have had a lot of reliability issues. The department has had a lot of issues with firearms selection and authorization because the out-going rangemaster was basically a retired-on-duty why-change-and-create-work-for-myself thats-the-way-we've-always-done-it kind of guy. Fortunately they just got a new rangemaster who actually knows his shit and is going to solve the problem. He is very well known in the tactical community and they are already looking at eliminating the M&P line. They banned the M&P15 officer-owned rifles a couple years ago after the Mossberg barrel issue.
Current officers who have been around for more than 2 years are grandfathered in and carry numerous models of guns within an authorized list. Most guns carried are Sig and HK. Some are carrying M&Ps. The newest officers are mandated to have the M&P9 or 45 only. The M&P is the first striker-fired gun that they have approved. The talk is that they're going to re-authorize the Sig line, and possibly also the HK. Officers have to buy their own guns, so it is going to be more open.
With the advent of the HK VP9 and Sig P320, they are now opening up consideration to other striker-fired guns. If this happens, word is that they'll also open up to the Glock 17 and 21. Not sure which way I'd go if that happened. For the M&P option, I'd get the 9mm without hesitation.

But to answer your question, they are very restrictive about modifications beyond stock or factory custom shop (within reason). Not sure what they'd allow, but I do know that several guys have stippled the grips of their M&Ps. I'd like to at least do a grip reduction treatment by ATEi or Robar, but that's something I haven't gotten confirmation on yet.

If I stay with my current agency, I will get issued the new Gen4 G22 and get to buy my Gen3. I'll send the Gen3 to Robar or ATEi and get the grip reduction and add an RMR to the slide and install a heavier recoil spring. Then I'll try to get it authorized for duty use on a long term "T&E" basis.

I am not really sure what went on with that. I know that the M&P pistol line has been problematic with corrosion issues in all models. There have been additional feeding issues noted, light striker hits, and other little gremlins. I'm not sure what has happened with the M&P45. I've honestly paid very little attention to them over the years because most of my time gets spent in the Glock arena.
Based on these comments it sounds like the M&P series is having a lot of issues (what are the issues?). I was seriously debating between the Shied (with Apex kit) or Sig P938 but if ya'll are having a bunch of problems I'll just stick to Sig. What say ye?
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #146
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
I love my shield and with the apex trigger it's even better. I haven't shot the P938 but have a 2022 and I like the action of the shield better, not sure if it compares. Honestly I always pick the gun I shoot better with... I went to buy a glock but shot better with the XD so I went that route. My buddy is the complete opposite. Really depends on the person.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #147
Reedo302

I really couldn't say what exactly the specific complaints are that this agency is experiencing. I haven't been able to get definitive descriptions other than "reliability issues". Over the past 6 months or so, I've been hearing increasing reports of poor quality control on S&W's part. I suspect that may have something to do with it. Lord knows I've fallen victim to poor QC by S&W. My M&P9 has a damaged barrel that I have yet to get replaced. It came like that from the factory.

Glock Armorer