E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
KHMITCHEM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wichita
Posts: 15
My Ride: 2002 bmw M3
Limp Mode???

I Have A 2002 M3 Dn Recently My Car Has Been Running Bad. Hardly The Power It Had The First Two Weeks I Had It. The Check Engine Light Has Come On, And After Having It Read It Says Misfire In Cylinders. The Dealer Cant Seem To Help Me Without Ringing Me Up For More Money Than Neccesary. Does Anyone Have Any Ideas As To What It Could Be? I Bought It Recently In Texas And I Live In Kansas. Could It Be The Difference In Gas?
KHMITCHEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
shagwar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 663
My Ride: trek mountain bike
doesnt sound like limp mode.
__________________
shagwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
KHMITCHEM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wichita
Posts: 15
My Ride: 2002 bmw M3
Any Suggestions As To What It Could Be? I Read Somewhere About Some Cam Sensors? Could Be Making That Up? Who Knows Im Just Getting Into These Cars And I Am Having Nothing But Trouble So Far.
KHMITCHEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
coolmody
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 65
My Ride: E46 M3 / E28 Turbo
It's your Bremi ignition coils. There is a service bulletin out on them. They are warrantied for 8years/unlimited mileage.

"SI B 12 24 05
Engine Electrical SystemsFebruary 2006
Technical Service
This Service Information Bulletin replaces S.I. B12 02 04 dated March 2005.

SUBJECT
S54B32- Special Limited Ignition Coils Warranty of 8 Years/Unlimited Miles


MODEL
MY '01, '02, '03 E46 - M3 coupe/convertible with S54 engine

MY '01, '02 E36/7 - M roadster/coupe with S54 engine


SITUATION
BMW has become aware of a potential problem that could affect the durability of Bremi ignition coils of certain MY' 2001, 2002, and 2003 BMW automobiles equipped with the Motorsport S54B32 engines. We estimate that only a small percentage of vehicles will actually develop a problem. Affected vehicles may have a Service Engine Soon light illuminated with misfire faults stored in the Engine Control Module (DME) and a rough running complaint.

CORRECTION
In the event that the Bremi ignition coils of a 2001, 2002, 2003 E46 (M3 coupe/convertible), or 2001, 2002 E36/7 (M roadster, M coupe) with S54B32 engine exhibit the symptoms of failure indicated above, they should be replaced with the improved ERA part (PN 12 13 7 551 260). For ignition coils replacing instruction refer to RA 12 13 511 found in BMW TIS.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
12 13 7 551 260
ERA coil
Max 6
WARRANTY INFORMATION
As a commitment to our customers, and to demonstrate our confidence in our product, BMW will extend the warranty of the Bremi ignition coils from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 8 years and unlimited miles.

The warranty extension for this component applies to the above listed models only and is transferable to any subsequent purchaser of these models.

This extended warranty is applicable to vehicles registered in all 50 states.

Warranty coverage for all other parts is not affected.

BMW will inform all affected owners of the above listed models of their extended Bremi ignition coils warranty. A sample letter is attached.

The following Warranty Information should be used if Bremi ignition coils replacement becomes necessary as outlined above:

Defect Code
12 13 93 14 00
Replace Bremi ignition coils. Includes deleting any
misfire fault codes stored in the Engine Control
Module (ECM/DME)
Main Work
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
00 54 124
11 FRU - E46 M3 with S54
8 FRU - E36/7 M roadster/coupe with S54
+Associated Work
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
00 54 692
9 FRU - E46 M3 with S54
6 FRU - E36/7 M roadster/coupe with S54
Note: The following explanations spell out the correct use of the work times.

Main Work:
Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the listed warranty repair.
OR
+Associated Work:
Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are performed along with the listed warranty repair.
Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed. Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim processing and payment"
coolmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
KHMITCHEM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wichita
Posts: 15
My Ride: 2002 bmw M3
Thank You Very Much For All Your Help! I Am Supposed To Take It In To The Dealer Tom. Morning So Lets Pray It Works Out.
KHMITCHEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Alan
Registered User
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,295
My Ride: 2006 M3
Bad coils will cause limp mode - and what you describe doesn't sound anything like limp mode.
__________________


Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
KHMITCHEM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wichita
Posts: 15
My Ride: 2002 bmw M3
Sure Enough It Was Bad Coils! Got Her Fixed And Running Strong Again! Thanks Again For The Post! Saved Me A Lot Of Money!
KHMITCHEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
e4604
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,606
My Ride: ...
WHATS WITH YELLING!!!!! n00bs
e4604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
KHMITCHEM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wichita
Posts: 15
My Ride: 2002 bmw M3
Sorry My System Only Runs Off Of Caps Lock At Work! Yeah Im At Work And On The Forum!
KHMITCHEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
e4604
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,606
My Ride: ...
ah, disregard my previous post then
e4604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
TAILWAG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 540
My Ride: 911EVT775 /Noble M12
back for more...?

I am driving today to work and suddenly my car begins to hesitate..as if it is missing wanting to backfire...??? I look at my dash and my "service engine soon" appears.

The car seems to run really rough, has limited power and it idles like a truck.

I wonder if this is the same issue you had. I will have to take it in to the dealership to see if this is the case.

Does anyone know if there are certain VIN numbers that were affected by it or are these ignition coils on ALL 2002 models? My M3 is running like ass and I need to get this fixed!!!???? Thanks!

__________________
2007 Porsche 911 EVT775
2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R
2010 Nissan Xterra Offroad
TAILWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #12
paulwu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CANADA
Posts: 7
My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
2004 M3 Misfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmody View Post
It's your Bremi ignition coils. There is a service bulletin out on them. They are warrantied for 8years/unlimited mileage.

"SI B 12 24 05
Engine Electrical SystemsFebruary 2006
Technical Service
This Service Information Bulletin replaces S.I. B12 02 04 dated March 2005.

SUBJECT
S54B32- Special Limited Ignition Coils Warranty of 8 Years/Unlimited Miles


MODEL
MY '01, '02, '03 E46 - M3 coupe/convertible with S54 engine

MY '01, '02 E36/7 - M roadster/coupe with S54 engine


SITUATION
BMW has become aware of a potential problem that could affect the durability of Bremi ignition coils of certain MY' 2001, 2002, and 2003 BMW automobiles equipped with the Motorsport S54B32 engines. We estimate that only a small percentage of vehicles will actually develop a problem. Affected vehicles may have a Service Engine Soon light illuminated with misfire faults stored in the Engine Control Module (DME) and a rough running complaint.

CORRECTION
In the event that the Bremi ignition coils of a 2001, 2002, 2003 E46 (M3 coupe/convertible), or 2001, 2002 E36/7 (M roadster, M coupe) with S54B32 engine exhibit the symptoms of failure indicated above, they should be replaced with the improved ERA part (PN 12 13 7 551 260). For ignition coils replacing instruction refer to RA 12 13 511 found in BMW TIS.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
12 13 7 551 260
ERA coil
Max 6
WARRANTY INFORMATION
As a commitment to our customers, and to demonstrate our confidence in our product, BMW will extend the warranty of the Bremi ignition coils from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 8 years and unlimited miles.

The warranty extension for this component applies to the above listed models only and is transferable to any subsequent purchaser of these models.

This extended warranty is applicable to vehicles registered in all 50 states.

Warranty coverage for all other parts is not affected.

BMW will inform all affected owners of the above listed models of their extended Bremi ignition coils warranty. A sample letter is attached.

The following Warranty Information should be used if Bremi ignition coils replacement becomes necessary as outlined above:

Defect Code
12 13 93 14 00
Replace Bremi ignition coils. Includes deleting any
misfire fault codes stored in the Engine Control
Module (ECM/DME)
Main Work
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
00 54 124
11 FRU - E46 M3 with S54
8 FRU - E36/7 M roadster/coupe with S54
+Associated Work
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
00 54 692
9 FRU - E46 M3 with S54
6 FRU - E36/7 M roadster/coupe with S54
Note: The following explanations spell out the correct use of the work times.

Main Work:
Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the listed warranty repair.
OR
+Associated Work:
Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are performed along with the listed warranty repair.
Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed. Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim processing and payment"
I read your post and thank you for very useful info. I got a question here. My 04 E46 M3 built in 03 NOV.
Do you think it still covers for the Bremi coils replacement warranty?
However, my car was imported from USA and now in Quebec Montreal you think the dealer will still cover this service bulletin?


My car was driving fine but suddenly limd and misfire yesterday. I pulled the codes got cylinder 3, 4, 5 cylinders misfires!
Ouch how this would be so suddenly and having 3 colls bad together?!
paulwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 AM   #13
johnkent3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: palm beach
Posts: 125
My Ride: 02 M3 Carbon/Cinnamo
02 sensors

sounds like f'd up o2 sensors
__________________
Stainless no-cat headers, D/A race software (Sean is ultra pro!), autosolutions ssk, borla midpipe V1, borla muffler, gunmetal factory 18s, 4.10 gears from DIFFSONLINE.com (DAN is the best!) murdered out everything else. super clean always, carbon/cinnamon
M 4 EVA!
johnkent3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #14
paulwu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CANADA
Posts: 7
My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwu View Post
I read your post and thank you for very useful info. I got a question here. My 04 E46 M3 built in 03 NOV.
Do you think it still covers for the Bremi coils replacement warranty?
However, my car was imported from USA and now in Quebec Montreal you think the dealer will still cover this service bulletin?


My car was driving fine but suddenly limd and misfire yesterday. I pulled the codes got cylinder 3, 4, 5 cylinders misfires!
Ouch how this would be so suddenly and having 3 colls bad together?!

I passed by dealer today and gave the VIN of my 04 M3. Also I present about the service bulletins copied and printed out from forum inputs; but the dealer told me the print out didn't work since the BMW USA is different from BMW Canada recall and also saying that the letter doesn't specify it is for my car with VIN on it. Bad!

You mentioned your M3 also imported from USA and no problem to have coils replecement in Canada dealer? The dealer recommend me to pay first for the the coils replacement and they will try to check for recall and reimbursement for me! But I think if you let dealer do the job they will simply charge you and then make you hopeless without any effort!

Any input will be appreciated!
paulwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
carbon Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 95
My Ride: 04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwu View Post
I passed by dealer today and gave the VIN of my 04 M3. Also I present about the service bulletins copied and printed out from forum inputs; but the dealer told me the print out didn't work since the BMW USA is different from BMW Canada recall and also saying that the letter doesn't specify it is for my car with VIN on it. Bad!

You mentioned your M3 also imported from USA and no problem to have coils replecement in Canada dealer? The dealer recommend me to pay first for the the coils replacement and they will try to check for recall and reimbursement for me! But I think if you let dealer do the job they will simply charge you and then make you hopeless without any effort!

Any input will be appreciated!
These will probably be cheaper then what the dealership would charge for parts and labor. These are probably better and you can put them on yourself in 5 minutes. If these exact ones are the wrong ones for your car I think they carry them for most models.

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=...CY=2004&HCM=M3
carbon Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #16
VAMZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 384
My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via Yahoo to VAMZ
is there a thread / bulletin where it lists all the recalls for the e46 m3?
VAMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #17
dfedon4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: McAllen, TX or North Mexico
Posts: 13
My Ride: Jeep
Thanks

My brother-in-law was having a problem with his 03 on Tuesday. He said it felt like her lost a cylinder. After he dropped it off at the dealership, i told him about this thread about the coils. The next day, the dealr called and told him that it was twoofhis coils and that he would replace them for free because of the recall. He didn't even have to bring it up. Century BMW - Greenville, SC. Thanks for posting this topic.
dfedon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:52 AM   #18
iansevilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 373
My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Limp Mode???

I'm thinking of getting them too. It's high performance coils. Do you think this will resolve the backfire on high rpm? I get a back fire once in a while on high rpm. Backfire happens when I shift gears....no check engine light or any kind. :-)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by iansevilla; 07-02-2014 at 03:54 AM.
iansevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use