E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Alezone

My Ride: 2002 M3 Cab
SMG Pump Failure? (Video Content) - Fixed, Salmon Relay replaced

Car was parked in neutral the night before with e-brake pulled up. Car wouldn't fire up in the morning, got the code read and found "SMG pump error", reset the code, car would start but wouldn't engage and the SMG light is on....

I've read most, if not all threads about SMG pump failure here, and a few possible fixes before going all out to replace the entire unit. e.g. O-ring, relay, etc. But did yours look like this when it's failed?

CAR IS FIXED by simply replacing the Salmon Relay in the fuse box

Last edited by Alezone; 10-02-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Alezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
did you hear the pump prime when you unlocked the car? have you tried changing the salmon relay yet?

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Alezone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakumaxp View Post
did you hear the pump prime when you unlocked the car? have you tried changing the salmon relay yet?
yes i could hear the noise "wheeeeeeeee" for a few second when the doors are unlocked. And some more noise when the key is turned, but can't get it into gears.

and no, haven't replaced the relay
Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
sakumaxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alezone View Post
yes i could hear the noise "wheeeeeeeee" for a few second when the doors are unlocked. And some more noise when the key is turned, but can't get it into gears.

and no, haven't replaced the relay
yeah i guess you can try and change the relay and see if that helps the problem, hope you get it all sorted out, keep us updated on everything

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
Old 09-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
this may sound stupid, but this happened to me the other morning.

I started my car, but the car wouldnt engage into any gear.... Wound up that my hood wasnt fully closed.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:53 AM   #6
Alezone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
this may sound stupid, but this happened to me the other morning.

I started my car, but the car wouldnt engage into any gear.... Wound up that my hood wasnt fully closed.
That was the first thing I checked but no it wasnt. Gear number would blink if hood is not shut properly. But mine is solid, non-blinking when I try to shift
Old 10-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
Alezone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakumaxp View Post
yeah i guess you can try and change the relay and see if that helps the problem, hope you get it all sorted out, keep us updated on everything
She's fixed!!!

Turned out it was the salmon relay after all. Thanks to those who have contributed and provided write up about DIY on the web, it was a 3 minute job.

She fired right up and the SMG warning light disappeared simultaneously
Old 10-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
sakumaxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alezone View Post
She's fixed!!!

Turned out it was the salmon relay after all. Thanks to those who have contributed and provided write up about DIY on the web, it was a 3 minute job.

She fired right up and the SMG warning light disappeared simultaneously
glad to hear you got everything sorted out!!!

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
Old 10-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
WindingRDS

My Ride: E46 M3
typical auto parts stores should have these, not just the dealers correct?

Last edited by WindingRDS; 10-01-2011 at 11:21 AM.
WindingRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
sakumaxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindingRDS View Post
what is a salmon relay?
the salmon relay is a, well a relay, that is salmon colored, and it controls or gives power to the SMG pump so it primes, and all that good stuff, its located in the fuse box on the driver side.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
Jmar

My Ride: M3 E46
If the relay is bad will you still hear the whineeeee noise when you unlock the doors?
Jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
Verooom

My Ride: 2005 M3 Cabrio
Where is the DIY to replace the salmon relay?

2005 Carbon Black M3 Convertible
2005 Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG (SOLD)
2007 Ferrari F430 F1
2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
Verooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
adr1an

My Ride: Carbon Black E46 M3
I just ran into this issue as well. A few weeks ago I was driving and the car went into 0/neutral and wouldn't go to another gear. Pulled over, a few on/offs of the car, and it started working. Drove home, and decided I'd keep an eye on it. Hopped in the car this morning, couldn't get the car to go into any gear at all. Found this thread, found another thread with the part number and bought it. Replaced it, and my car works great.

Something odd - I tried the old relay after using the new one - and the car worked as well. So perhaps it needed to be re-seated, or there's still a problem with the car. Regardless - I popped the new one in. Took the car for a spin, turned off the car, turned on the car - gear symbol was gone and I am happy. Going to keep an eye on it. If it pops up again, it's likely I need to replace the pump, or check out the transmission.

Here is the part number for future reference: 12 63 1 742 690

There are a few photos in this thread: http://bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthre...G-Relay-E46-M3

It's easy. Very easy. Also - don't be alarmed if you buy a relay and the numbers on the shell appear different from the ones on the relay in the car. If you flip the relay upside down and look at the connectors, it clearly shows both a matching configuration, and I believe it indicates the amperage for each connector.

I type too fast - sorry for the wall of text ;P GLHF to future M3 owners with this issue! Hopefully this helps.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
M3/805

My Ride: 2003-M3
Angry weird

Well,took the M3 for weekend trip,runs like a dream,coming back from my nice 2 days vacation,on the highway,silver saleem wants a taste of the M!! after taking of in a nice straightaway,the Mustang had all it could at 140mph,bye bye we said,anyway, had to wait to cross US border,it was about 75degrees,had to wait in line for about 2.5 hours,within first hour,smg light came on,after 30 or so minutes SES light came on,didnt touch the shifter or nothing,waited till I crossed the border,car went into neutral slightly,shifted then I kept going..
drove for about 30 minutes,stopped to get some grub,came out,no ses light,no smg light,drove home,about 4 hours,no problem!!! WTF is wrong with this cars man!!
I love this car,but im really tempted to sell it!!!
This lil issues really piss me off!!!
M3/805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
alex9452

My Ride: 04 m3
m3/805 ive had the same problem. where the light would turn off after not being driven for a bit. i brought it to get it looked at when it would go into neutral and had wires replaced and they did the salman relay. my question is why does it keep doing that?
alex9452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
Bimmekid91

My Ride: 2001 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/805 View Post
Well,took the M3 for weekend trip,runs like a dream,coming back from my nice 2 days vacation,on the highway,silver saleem wants a taste of the M!! after taking of in a nice straightaway,the Mustang had all it could at 140mph,bye bye we said,anyway, had to wait to cross US border,it was about 75degrees,had to wait in line for about 2.5 hours,within first hour,smg light came on,after 30 or so minutes SES light came on,didnt touch the shifter or nothing,waited till I crossed the border,car went into neutral slightly,shifted then I kept going..
drove for about 30 minutes,stopped to get some grub,came out,no ses light,no smg light,drove home,about 4 hours,no problem!!! WTF is wrong with this cars man!!
I love this car,but im really tempted to sell it!!!
This lil issues really piss me off!!!
I had a similar problem with mine. Would drive fine and only come on when parked idling with a/c. If driving around town or highway with no problem even with a/c. I noticed that it would only due this when getting hot. If I turned it off and let it sit for a while it would go away. I changed the oil I was low a little, swapped the coolant. And no more problems. Might be the case with yours check your oil level, and coolant . My oil level was right above the minimum :0
(Thank god I have a repair shop with all the tools lol.)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Bimmekid91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
alex9452

i never thought of that haha thank you i will go check that out now
Old 07-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #18
alex9452

i have a question about the smg going into neutral. if i need to explain better let me know. my mirror ended up having a leak inside and ended up getting a new one. however when it got replaced on the way home the turn signals weren't going off right away, windows weren't working, and the back up sensor wasnt working. turns out the circuit from the mirror affected all that. then brought the car back and had them fix it. is it possible they didn't fix it and that is what is effecting the transmission since its all electrical?

Tags
e46, failure, pump, smg