E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
Antiviruz42

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 Wrapped
*****Update***** So the other night I decided to tinker around and I unplugged my MAF and cleaned it again as well as the TPS. I unplugged both of these while the car was running based on what I saw in another Forum. The car went into a limp mode. I parked it and unplugged the battery to reset the mode. I tore down the intake end of the system again and found a hose that was loose and not fully clipped in. Its located hooked under the intake manifold. Have no idea what it is. One hose on the left goes to the ICV and the bottom one that was loose goes towards the firewall.

The hose on the bottom was not fully seated.
I clipped in the hose and am currently running a tank of Techron injector cleaner through the car as well. So far the idle has been good and no stalling.

I went to Autozone and pulled the codes.
There was one for the TPS which i think threw when I unplugged it. But i have 2 other duplicate codes for "To Rich" and "Bank 1 o2 sensor slow to respond". Looks like replacing the o2 sensor is next.
Antiviruz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #22
Antiviruz42

Heres the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	535779  
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
Dan1983

My Ride: 325i, CB M3
If you have something like PA soft, I'd clear all the codes and see what pops back up
Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #24
silvercar

My Ride: 02 325i
My car is doing the same thing. 02 325i auto trans, just as intermittant as yours. Perfect for the last few trips, but last week it was failing almost every trip I took. I have replaced tps and iac to no avail and I believe I have cleared up all the vacuum leaks. Car will fail whether maf is plugged in or not. I'm poking around today to try and think of something else to try, no ideas yet. I should have gotten an e36 I think....less electronic bs between your right foot and the throttle plate. I"M PISSED!!!
If I discover anything I'll be sure and post.
silvercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #25
Antiviruz42

******Update******

The car has not stalled once since I firmly attached that hose.(See above picture) Its hard to believe that just a small wiggle room would cause so much of an issue but it looks like that. I still drive around in fear of course looking down at my RPMs as I stop but I'll get over it. I would def suggest a very detailed look over or smoke test as a first option. I also ran a tank of Techron cleaner through it and it idles and pulls great now. Also being a newbie to the M and BMW I saw that the car counts you down for inspection based not on milage but driving type. I actually looked at what the service reminder said and I've still got 11k miles to go according to it. I'm not gonna wait that long but I'm thrilled to take the grand I was gonna pay for an inspection II and I'm getting the car a full wrap next month as my Christmas present.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #26
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiviruz42 View Post
Also being a newbie to the M and BMW I saw that the car counts you down for inspection based not on milage but driving type. I actually looked at what the service reminder said and I've still got 11k miles to go according to it. I'm not gonna wait that long.
Based on my driving style the 15k mile intervals are more like 8K miles. I see no reason why not to go by the service reminder, 8k miles on synthetic oil is nothing.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
silvercar

Thanks for the picture. Not sure if my straight up 325 is piped the same there as an M car, but I'm gonna have a look for sure.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:48 AM   #28
Antiviruz42

Sorry for the late bump. I know I personally like thread closure so. (The picture I posted of the valve I didnt know was lose was for the Fuel breather valve. see diagram pic.) Anyway. I havent had really any stalling issues since I posted this thread but Im still having intermittent rough idles. I keep getting codes for lean and o2 sensor. I had all my sensors checked at my local indy and i think this happend at the dealer I purchased the car from when I had header work done but my precat bank 1 sensor was running down into the post cat 1 bung. I had them switch and check the volts for all the sensors after that thinking Im golden. That had to be the problem right? rough idle, fuel smell from the rear, codes. After doing the recommended drive cycles to ready the sensors (since you know my registration expires on the 1st and I need an emissons test in a day!) The SES light comes back on. Im going tomorrow to get together with the shop owner and see what we can figure out. At this point Im thinking it has to be Vacuum leak. I didnt notice any bad hoses when I started this thread but maybe I didnt see it. The only place I can see and hear air moving is the hose that goes to the inlet right by the fuel rail injectors. It comes up thru the throttle bodys. I cirlced it in the diagram. Penske parts diagram looks like it runs to the idle control valve. I guess Il try and check this area. I already cleaned the valve tho. One other area of concern I noticed when I replaced my o2 sensor is the gasket for the SAP valve. attached to the side of the block so to speak. Would that small amount of air from that valve gasket create a idle effecting vacuum leak or o2 sensor codes?! Anyone have any other ideas? As mentioned in the thread I tore down the intake side already and cleaned everything! BMW also tested my fuel pressure and filter and they were good. Any ideas would be helpfull trying to get this test done and registration updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0021152.png
Views:	14
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	563699   Click image for larger version

Name:	B0021137.png
Views:	14
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	563700  

Last edited by Antiviruz42; 06-30-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #29
silvercar

I haven't figured mine out yet. My fuel pump quit last week at work, so I put that on it and drove it home, but it's still acting up. I just parked it, gonna try to find some time to try a few things maybe this weekend. Lucky I still got the old beater Volvo to get me around in the meantime. If I discover anything I'll post.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #30
Antiviruz42

*****Update***** So I ran it to my local indy. I ran the codes first. Only had 2. Both banks rich. I was pretty relieved being that it kinda took me off the hook for a vacuum leak. I could narrow the problem down to anything the both sensors shared. I took it in and we pulled up the fuel trims. WAY OUT OF WHACK. My indy smoked it (For free ) and I was all good there. He grabbed a new MAF and put it in. Drove it around and the fuel trims were all in spec. Car idles and drove much much better. Problem solved! For now haha. I did my drive cycles and passed my emssions test in about 30 seconds. No codes nothing. Thank god! I must say Ive been through the countless threads on this issue and really refused to believe it was the MAF. I cleaned it twice and it looked okay. Slice of humble pie eaten. Word to the wise just cuz you cleaned it and it looks okay it may still be bad. Try and get your hands on one to test before you buy.