E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Competition05

My Ride: 2005 m3 ZCP
Rear differential clunking

Hey fellas, i was cruising around town the other night when I rolled up to a stop light with a 2012 Camaro RS I rolled off the start and punched it at 5k in first, quickly shifted to second and pulled away from the RS, we messed around for a few lights. Heading home afterwards I noticed a clunking when I stop/start or off/on power coming from the back end so I jacked it up and located the clunking in my rear diff, sounds like loose u-joints. Was curious if anyone had similar issues ever and what the verdict was. Any replacements in the limited slip differential sounds like hell and very pricy

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Competition05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
M3 boyzky

My Ride: 2006 M3 zcp
Yes! My 16 year old cousin did after doing what you did. We all told him to grow up!

M3 boyzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
Competition05

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 boyzky View Post
Yes! My 16 year old cousin did after doing what you did. We all told him to grow up!

If I'm going to spend money on a m3 it's to drive it, learn it and most of all enjoy it. I am not a grandma in a Buick.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
M3 boyzky

My Ride: 2006 M3 zcp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Competition05 View Post
If I'm going to spend money on a m3 it's to drive it, learn it and most of all enjoy it. I am not a grandma in a Buick.

Well said!.....I rest my case. :-(

M3 boyzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:59 AM   #5
Antiviruz42

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 Wrapped
I started hearing a clunk from my back end. Only when cruising and I apply power and release power. Almost like a tug. Happens alot in 4th and 5th. If im trying to maintain speed and just give or let off a little bit it will clunk. I just changed the diff fluid a week ago and this is new. Im gonna check bolts and bushings. It happens right at the point where my foot comes off the clutch and power grabs

Last edited by Antiviruz42; 06-30-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Antiviruz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 AM   #6
jordypicca91

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
I had the same problem, sounds like it's coming from the diff right? Actually turned out to be the DMF.

For ages I thought it was the diff, I was looking for worn bushings, broken mounts,
Couldn't find ****.

The springs in the Dual Mass Flywheel flatten out and no longer take up pulses from the engine which gives off a clunk when your on and off the clutch/ power

Well that was my case anyway

jordypicca91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
Antiviruz42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordypicca91 View Post
I had the same problem, sounds like it's coming from the diff right? Actually turned out to be the DMF.

For ages I thought it was the diff, I was looking for worn bushings, broken mounts,
Couldn't find ****.

The springs in the Dual Mass Flywheel flatten out and no longer take up pulses from the engine which gives off a clunk when your on and off the clutch/ power

Well that was my case anyway

Mine seems to be a bit better today. When I get the car up on a lift i'll check everything and recheck the fluid. Is it possible that when I drained it and changed it and did my figure 8's that the fluid got back into those spaces and is now low and could use a top off? How did you diagnos the DMF problem? shot in the dark?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #8
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiviruz42 View Post
Mine seems to be a bit better today. When I get the car up on a lift i'll check everything and recheck the fluid. Is it possible that when I drained it and changed it and did my figure 8's that the fluid got back into those spaces and is now low and could use a top off? How did you diagnos the DMF problem? shot in the dark?
I can't see your fluid level changing, but it's not like it's that hard to check anyways.
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:48 AM   #9
jordypicca91

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiviruz42 View Post

Yeah it was the DMF, it had heaps of rotational and lateral play in it.

When the crank turns, it turns the first part of the flywheel, and the springs are meant to take up the slack and soften the transition from crank to transmission. It's all about smooth transitions with a DMF

When the springs are ****ed in the flywheel, it can't absorb the energy and just spins until it bottoms out, then you hear a clunk.

jordypicca91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
juno615

My Ride: 2002 m3
As for diagnosing the problem I can tell you that If the sound is constant when the car is rolling no matter if it's in gear or not, then it's deffinitly the differential if it only happens when you are in gear or something like that then chances are it's something to do with the clutch or tranny best advise I can give is let a couple Indy shops inspect your car (for free) and if they all say it's the same problem then do the research and fix it yourself

As for fixing a differential......I've had to fix mine myself and after some reasearch these where the options I've found
1. You can take your chances on a used one, usually cost about 800$ but who knows if that one has problems
2. You can buy a new one costs about 1500$-$2k and u have to put up extra for a core charge. but u can upgrade to a performance diff and maybe get a 4:10 diff for some extra acceleration
3. You can have some one rebuild for existing diff I you can find a good shop the usually charge about 1200$ for the job, maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who'll do it cheap......or if you know how to rebuild it yourself then that's deffinitly the cheapest option

I ended up just having someone rebuild it because I just didn't have the money to get a new one but if money was no object then I'd get a new one and have the bad one rebuild and then welded and keep as a swap out for drifting but that's in a perfect world........I hope its not anything serious that's wrong on your car though...... goodluck, I hope this helps
juno615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
ColoRADo75

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Quote:

When the crank turns, it turns the first part of the flywheel, and the springs are meant to take up the slack and soften the transition from crank to transmission. It's all about smooth transitions with a DMF

When the springs are ****ed in the flywheel, it can't absorb the energy and just spins until it bottoms out, then you hear a clunk.

So where does a failing DMF "clunk" come from? Trying to diagnose one myself...
ColoRADo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
Teslazerok

Quote:

When the crank turns, it turns the first part of the flywheel, and the springs are meant to take up the slack and soften the transition from crank to transmission. It's all about smooth transitions with a DMF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRADo75 View Post
So where does a failing DMF "clunk" come from? Trying to diagnose one myself...
DMF = dual mass flywheel

The post you quoted answers your question...

Last edited by Teslazerok; 07-18-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:38 AM   #13
Antiviruz42

Im thinking now it might not be "my" DMF. Not ruling it out but all my clunking and grinding started after I changed my Diff fluid. I was a dumb dumb and used Redline and even added some FM. Looking like im just gonna drain it and use the SAF + Booster. Live and learn I guess.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
ColoRADo75

Let me clarify, my clunk is coming from behind the driver's seat. Is this a typical place to hear the symptoms of a DMF gone bad?

I also hear my clunk when left cornering and slight body roll, which leads me to believe it may not be DMF...
Old 07-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well it could be the halfshaft's cv's were damaged under the high torque. people drag racing their M3s have broken these at the track.

clunking noise behind the seat could be your guibo, under launch it definitely could stress it and it be shot now. It's a common wear item in the driveline.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #16
Teslazerok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRADo75 View Post
Let me clarify, my clunk is coming from behind the driver's seat. Is this a typical place to hear the symptoms of a DMF gone bad?

I also hear my clunk when left cornering and slight body roll, which leads me to believe it may not be DMF...
The flywheel is attached to your engine, so no it is not your problem.

If you're only hearing it on cornering that would lead me to think suspension/subframe. If you hear it when you're going straight you can also include diff/axles as possible issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
well it could be the halfshaft's cv's were damaged under the high torque. people drag racing their M3s have broken these at the track.

clunking noise behind the seat could be your guibo, under launch it definitely could stress it and it be shot now. It's a common wear item in the driveline.
Guibo isn't really behind the driver in the car though, it's almost under the shifter.

Last edited by Teslazerok; 07-19-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #17
ColoRADo75

Clunk occurs with driveline too, 1st to 2nd double clunk, reverse single clunk, 90% of the time I can hear it.

Described here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044986
Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
Competition05

My "clunk" is heard from the rear end of the car. And only heard in first gear stop and starts and revers stop and starts. "Clunk clunk" and you don't hear it again until another stop and start. Sounds like a u-join issue but I checked my u-joints and couldn't find any play

Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Teslazerok

Both of those descriptions sound like it's coming from the differential. It's normal unless it's really bad. Check the 3 bolts and bushings on the diff for proper torque/wear.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #20
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
Check the mounting bolts. I had to change my diff because there was way to much slack in passenger axle and it was also very indirect when I hit the gas. After my indy changed it, one of the mounting bolts became a little loose and was causing it to rock back and forth too much. Tightened it down and it was good to go. Reverse was making the diff "pop" right before the car would move. You have the same symptoms I did. Mine went at 98k.

Last edited by Eisenheim; 07-22-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Eisenheim is offline   Reply With Quote