E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
loomer|E46M

New shifter

I have been putting money aside for wheels, but last night coming home from work at 2 am my shift linkage broke and almost "squishes/clunks" into 3rd. Needless to say I nenes to purchase a new, been craving a short shift since I got the car a month ago I guess it's about that time. What short shifts do you Guys have can you share the name price and maybe pictures or videos thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
loomer|E46M is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
workman482

My Ride: 01 M3 vert
The two I have on my wish list are a UUC unit or a Dinan unit. They are pretty pricey but from what I've researched is well worth the money.
workman482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by loomer|E46M View Post
I have been putting money aside for wheels, but last night coming home from work at 2 am my shift linkage broke and almost "squishes/clunks" into 3rd. Needless to say I nenes to purchase a new, been craving a short shift since I got the car a month ago I guess it's about that time. What short shifts do you Guys have can you share the name price and maybe pictures or videos thanks

I have a UUC EVO3 and DSSR I will be putting up for sale next week, I decided to try an auto solutions and am just finishing the install tonight.

The UUC goes for around 455 new with DSSR.
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/3-ser...2006-c531.aspx
The auto solutions 30% reduction went for 415 shipped:
http://www.autosolutions.net/groupbuyNEW.html
I was pretty happy with the UUC but decided to try the autosolutions to see if there was an improvement in my finicky transmission. I will know this week, it feels tighter but I haven't drove it yet The good thing about UUC is for 35 dollars they will sell a rebuild kit of all the parts that wear.

Last edited by ddaniel1; 06-29-2014 at 05:18 PM.
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
nofar

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP 6 SPEED
I have the OEM 330d shift lever/kit and love it. It's inexpensive, works fantastic, and has much shorter/succinct throws. I'd recommend this kit as it's a bargain compared to some of the other name-brand kits.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...247&highlight=
Old 06-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Autosolutions, Rogue and the UUC are the major real SSKs. the others like Dinan(re-branded bmw) are just a lever. if you want quality you want something that has more than a lever. you want the improved linkage, bushings and changed bearing cup geometry of a proper Short Shift KIT
Old 06-30-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
iansevilla

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
I have a ///M5 ZHP short shifter installed on my ///M3. :-) I luv it!

iansevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 AM   #7
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansevilla View Post
I have a ///M5 ZHP short shifter installed on my ///M3. :-) I luv it!
what the heck is an M5 ZHP shifter suppose to be
Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 AM   #8
iansevilla

New shifter

short throw shifter from an ///M5 w/ ZHP shift knob was installed on my ///M3 when I did a swap from SMG to Manual stick.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1404117433.136109.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	563701

Last edited by iansevilla; 06-30-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
All of the "BMW short shift kits" are just a shorter lever. They won't fix your issue if other parts of the shift assembly are worn. You would need to buy all of the other parts on top of just the lever or get a complete kit.

Most people love the Autosolutions kit.
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Alex323Ci

Quote:
short throw shifter from an ///M5 w/ ZHP shift knob was installed on my ///M3 when I did a swap from SMG to Manual stick

Attachment 563701
you sure it has an M5 short throw shifter?
that looks more like an F10 M5 shiftknob and boot. is it lighted? if so it's the same one i installed on my M3 about a year and a half ago. there are no M5s with ZHP as far as i know, the Performance Package was never an option for the M5.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
iansevilla

New shifter

That's what I was told by Euro Auto Spot. I know they did mods on it to make it work. But I really don't care. I'm just thankful that my car is fixed and it runs great. :-) oh, I could be wrong...lol

Last edited by iansevilla; 07-01-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
My shifter up for sale:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1043468
Old 07-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Alex91191

My Ride: BMW M3
Here are some automotive shops.
1. http://www.automotiveempire.com/univ...hift-knob.html
2. www.amazon.com
3. ebay.com_nr_
Alex91191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
Alex323Ci

Wink

Quote:
That's what I was told by Euro Auto Spot. I know they did mods on it to make it work. But I really don't care. I'm just thankful that my car is fixed and it runs great. :-) oh, I could be wrong...lol
well the F10 M5 shift knob/boot will make a difference in feel. the stubby knob will make the throws feel shorter because it's not as tall. the knob is weighted so it also makes it feel easier to engage than the lighter stock one.

OP i can recommend the Autosolutions which is very precise and replaces many parts in the shift system. UUC Evo 3 + DSSR is probably next on my list as a good SSK for the M3. i would research these and see if you like either and think it's for you. there are simple less expensive and intricate kits, some are fine with those. but those likely won't help your linkage issue.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Danzion

My Ride: 2005 m3 comp pack
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1404431926.181773.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	564064
For $60.00 you can get the factory bmw short shift wich is the same of the 335d! And fit another 60 you get the zhp knob! All together you get about 1" lower! It feels so
Much better..

Danzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:42 AM   #16
Alex323Ci

just to reiterate a different lever or knob is Not a Short Shift Kit (SSK) and doesn't fix the linkage.

but if you're in there fixing the linkage a simple lever, bearing cup and knob could be all one needs looking to save a buck..
Old 07-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #17
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
I have this setup on my M3 and it's a great upgrade from stock m3 shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzion View Post
Attachment 564064
For $60.00 you can get the factory bmw short shift wich is the same of the 335d! And fit another 60 you get the zhp knob! All together you get about 1" lower! It feels so
Much better..

Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #18
Static///M3

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
just to reiterate a different lever or knob is Not a Short Shift Kit (SSK) and doesn't fix the linkage.

but if you're in there fixing the linkage a simple lever, bearing cup and knob could be all one needs looking to save a buck..
^ This

I got the 330d shifter w/ ZHP knob as I was replacing my worn out bearing cup some time ago. There was a noticeable difference in throws from the stock "broom stick". But I felt that needed something even shorter, so I got the Autosolutions 40% reduction SSK which is notchy and takes ever so slightly more effort to shift from the 330d, but is perfect for my preference.