E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
hatepotholez

My Ride: 135i
Opinion please on a few M3's I am considering

Hello, I have a list below of a few M3's I am considering, I'm in NY. Transmission is of no concern to me. I do however prefer the comp package and IB. Only one M3 comes with a warranty and ironically it's the closest to me. All have a clean autocheck and carfax. I will do a PPI on the car before I buy it. I'm a nitpicker(personally and by occupation!) but I wont nitpick as much if the price is right.

-$23k, 06 Imola on black, SMG, PDC, heated seats, premium package. 70k pretty extensive maintenance history, 2 owners. Dealership will provide 30 day limited warranty, northern car(LI and NJ), drove this one and drove pretty well. 2 things I didn't like, dynamat in the trunk, tires match only in pairs, paintwork pass fender and door, but looks like the parts were not removed(maybe a light dent or scratch). No subframe recall or vanos work completed. Inspection 2 in '09, has a recall for programming. Car's been for sale for a longgggg time over 14 months at least, multiple price drops. I'm not sure why it's still there, they do sell exotics.

-$26k, 06 Imola on Imola 58k, manual, was cpo til 2012. Premium, heated seats, no maintenance or service records on carfax or at BMW after 09, owner states he's a mechanic. Have to drive to VA to check this one out. No warranty. no subframe work or vanos work completed. No records of inspection 2, has a recall for programming.

-$26k, 06 ib/dove, 72k looks to be a stripper model with smg, navi, ZCP, PDC(which I read is standard on SMG's?). No power seats or memory, pretty sure it doesn't have a premium package, no xenon(sucks), normal maintenance per BMW and carfax. Owner says he did a ton of maintenance and used to work for BMW for 16 years. Blank info on autocheck and carfax from 06-09. BTW, it's amazing how dependent I am on Carfax and Autocheck, such a shame. No warranty either and is in VA. no subframe work or vanos work completed.

-$30K, 06, ib/black, 66k, SMG, ZCP, PDC, navi, lumbar, premium, except cold weather, rear sunshade, headlight washers(none of the cars I listed have this). Normal maintenance. No warranty, not even a state mandated one. This is only 100 miles from me in PA. no subframe work or vanos work completed and owner states subframe is fine.

-$34k, 06, Ib/dove, 50k from Hawaii off a military guy. Zcp, premium, except cold weather, rear sunshade, headlight washers(none of the cars I listed have this). I test drove this, and it drove real nice. Price is up there though, highly doubt he is negotiable that much.

I can't even read the M3 market now, it's really all over the place. If you can let me know which has the best value that would really help me as I really can't figure out the proper pricing especially on the comp package ones. Any HELPUL insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by hatepotholez; 07-03-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling
hatepotholez is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Those seem expensive but they're newer and lower-ish mileage. I moved your thread over to the M3 forum.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
hatepotholez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Those seem expensive but they're newer and lower-ish mileage. I moved your thread over to the M3 forum.

Tim
Unfortunately they are all dealerships and I have a trade .

Lets see how much I can negotiate.

thanks for the move.

Last edited by hatepotholez; 07-03-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
dakkon

My Ride: e46 330ci/e30 318is
why are you looking at SMG cars?

Also, what do you plan on doing with the car? Street, Street+Track?

What i would tell you to do, would be sell your car to carmax, as they pay a fare price. Every car i have sold them they have paid blue book for.

Find an enthusiast car you want, then work it out so you can sell your current vehicle to carmax to make the transaction work. Buying a random M3 can turn into a nightmare REAL fast.....

This video actually has a decent amount of pertinent information for your situation. with regards to the used M3 question.

Last edited by dakkon; 07-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.
dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
those are all listed as top dollar. which is the best value?? well they only made some few ZCPs, ~ 2,400 and of those Interlargos Blue is exclusive to that package. so yes it's rare and should command a bit higher price in the future. the headlight washers and heated seats are part of the Cold Weather Package. rear sunshade and navigation both options, so that's about as loaded an M3 can be, someone paids a Lot when ordering new. are you planning to mod or leave stock? because these examples are expensive for the reason they remained stock and more collector car.

hard to say which one just by paper trail.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
hatepotholez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakkon View Post
why are you looking at SMG cars?

Also, what do you plan on doing with the car? Street, Street+Track?

What i would tell you to do, would be sell your car to carmax, as they pay a fare price. Every car i have sold them they have paid blue book for.

Find an enthusiast car you want, then work it out so you can sell your current vehicle to carmax to make the transaction work. Buying a random M3 can turn into a nightmare REAL fast.....

This video actually has a decent amount of pertinent information for your situation. with regards to the used M3 question.

I prefer an SMG due to my circumstances. I saw that video, its pretty informative. I did my research on these out of a few other M3's and these came out on top. 2 of them I test drove and are in great shape, the red 70k and the $34k ZCP. The car will be for street+track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
those are all listed as top dollar. which is the best value?? well they only made some few ZCPs, ~ 2,400 and of those Interlargos Blue is exclusive to that package. so yes it's rare and should command a bit higher price in the future. the headlight washers and heated seats are part of the Cold Weather Package. rear sunshade and navigation both options, so that's about as loaded an M3 can be, someone paids a Lot when ordering new. are you planning to mod or leave stock? because these examples are expensive for the reason they remained stock and more collector car.

hard to say which one just by paper trail.
Probably only mod the suspension as I would like to track.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
dakkon

My Ride: e46 330ci/e30 318is
I would look at the subframe mounts FIRST thing on any E46.. If any of those cars have the subframe reinforcement kit, then i would buy that one. Insist that the dealer put the car your thinking about buying on a lift for you to inspect the subframe mounting points.. If you don't know what i am talking about, research it PRIOR to buying an M3... if not before buying then definitely before you track said M3.

Good luck with your purchase. an SMG car would be be best compromise between a non-clutch car for both street and track.
dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
I don't know if this helps, but IMO if all these have clean PPI I would just buy the cheapest one. You have to be crazy to consider paying 34k .
Old 07-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 04 SMG
yea no way. do ppi on the two you like if both pass go for the cheaper one.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
hatepotholez

There will be no signing of papers without a PPI. I made appointments with the local BMW dealerships per M3. I have came down to the 2 Imolas and the Ib Stripper SMG for 26k.

The owner of the IB stripper states it has had multiple maintenance and even smg work. I am awaiting the service paperwork.

Last edited by hatepotholez; 07-04-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
Gunsnbacon
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I don't think you should be so set on an 06, you can get much better earlier years for cheap. Hell, I've even seen some decently maintained e90's for around that $34k mark. I'm looking at the market myself, my ci isn't cutting it for me after I took a ride in my friend's m3 lol. I've seen some decent ones around the $16k mark with service records if you are interested in like an 02-04.

A good service record as follows:

oil service at 7.5k
inspection 1 at 15k
oil service at 22.5k
inspection 2 at 30k
repeat

inspection 1 includes all filters, diff fluid, and valve timing adjustment, also power steering fluid and tranny fluid
inspection 2 includes engine/tranny mounts, RSMs and RTABs, guibo, and spark plugs as well as inspection 1 list

a better outlined service guide can be found here

Gunsnbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
hatepotholez

I am more focused on the 05-06 because of the ZCP and interlagos blue. I really love the IB color, and don't mind waiting. The problem is dealers and some sellers think it's super rare and want to increase the price by atleast 8k.

Maybe i'll wait until winter when demand dies down.

On the IB stripper, I found out the whole car was repainted due to "sun fade" as it was always outside. Unsure how true this is but it annoys me for sure.

Last edited by hatepotholez; 07-11-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
hatepotholez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsnbacon View Post
I don't think you should be so set on an 06, you can get much better earlier years for cheap. Hell, I've even seen some decently maintained e90's for around that $34k mark. I'm looking at the market myself, my ci isn't cutting it for me after I took a ride in my friend's m3 lol. I've seen some decent ones around the $16k mark with service records if you are interested in like an 02-04.

A good service record as follows:

oil service at 7.5k
inspection 1 at 15k
oil service at 22.5k
inspection 2 at 30k
repeat

inspection 1 includes all filters, diff fluid, and valve timing adjustment, also power steering fluid and tranny fluid
inspection 2 includes engine/tranny mounts, RSMs and RTABs, guibo, and spark plugs as well as inspection 1 list

a better outlined service guide can be found here
Thanks for the link very informative. I'm pretty sure I can do the inspection 2. The subframe, looks to be a major pain and I'd probably send it off to a indy.