E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
rjmonsma

My Ride: BMW 330CI
Smile Roof opening problems

Hi all,

I have a problem with opening and closing of my roof.
I checked all fuses and they are ok.
When opening the roof unlatches at the front window and opens a little and the roof compartment lid opens.
But then it stops. If I help it manually and push the top open it continues it cycle and opens. Same for closing.

I had it checked at the garage they told me that the solenoids are not being actuated. They informed me they can not fix it and I have to go to BMW to get the CVM recoded. This sound a bit strange to me.

I have checked al sensor with a multi meter to check if there is a resistance present as mentioned in one of the other treads and it look like there are no broken wires.
The solenoids are very hard to reach as they are behind the backseat close to the CVM module.

Any ideas on how to proceed with the fault finding?
rjmonsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
To be clear, your roof gets stuck after completing step 4?
1. Roof unlatches from windshield
2. System pressurizes (solenoid V5)
3. Rear window raises (solenoid V4)
4. Storage compartment lid raises (solenoid V1)
5. Rear window lowers (solenoid V3)
6. Top lowers into storage compartment (solenoid V2)
7. Storage compartment lid closes (solenoid V4)

When closing the roof at which step does it get stuck? Does the top raise out of the storage compartment before needing your assistance?

Have you checked the fluid level? Often the top needs assistance when the fluid is low, meaning you have a leak somewhere.

If the fluid level is fine and there are no leaks, then investigate the solenoids. If your top successfully completes step 4 when opening then at least 3 of the solenoids (V1, V4, V5) are working. I'd try swapping solenoids and see if the problem moves. The manuals states V2, V3, and V4 are mounted to the valve block, yet gives no order in which they are mounted. German engineers probably put them in order, so I assume V3 is the middle. I would swap the bottom 2 solenoids, as we know V4 is working.

I think Top Hydraulics can service the solenoids if you remove them. Unfortunately you have to remove the softtop from the car to gain access to the valve blocks and solenoids. You might be able to remove the solenoids with the top in the car... although you'll definitely need to remove the drivers side rear interior to see what you're doing.

Last edited by taylor192; 07-07-2014 at 10:41 AM.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
jeton_g

My Ride: 2003 e46 m3
I'd check the top cover of the motor. Mine broke where it holds down the gear and the gear just jumps while trying to unwind the top. I have to manually hold down that gear so it can open/ close properly; until I decide to buy a motor. That's only if u hear a grinding noise I would assume.
jeton_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeton_g View Post
I'd check the top cover of the motor. Mine broke where it holds down the gear and the gear just jumps while trying to unwind the top. I have to manually hold down that gear so it can open/ close properly; until I decide to buy a motor. That's only if u hear a grinding noise I would assume.
That is not the OP's issue. He states the storage lid opens which means the motor under the seat is releasing the storage lid latches.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-13-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
rjmonsma

My Ride: BMW 330CI
Solved

Finally was able to solve the problem with help from a BMW expert.
After checking all we were at the stage of taking of the complete roof.
When we tried to lift the roof off, one of the hydraulic lines got disconnected like it was loose. This was the Hydraulic return line and after reconnecting this all worked well again.

Thanks all for your assitence!
rjmonsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
TopHydraulicsInc.com
Supporting Vendor

My Ride: German verts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmonsma View Post
Finally was able to solve the problem with help from a BMW expert.
After checking all we were at the stage of taking of the complete roof.
When we tried to lift the roof off, one of the hydraulic lines got disconnected like it was loose. This was the Hydraulic return line and after reconnecting this all worked well again.

Thanks all for your assitence!
Hmm. There would have been a massive hydraulic fluid spill if that line was off or loose before. Did you have to fill up the pump with fluid?

I wonder if the solved problem was only a coincidence, where during the efforts to remove the top a broken wire got massaged such that it worked again.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
5434-8234530 (hydro-unit)
54347025592 (control unit)
54347025598 (improved hoses manufactured at Top Hydraulics)
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46
www.tophydraulicsinc.com

TopHydraulicsInc.com is offline   Reply With Quote