E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
bayarea3

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
Unhappy Hit and run this morning, what's the prognosis?

Hi everyone,

In case you haven't been following my new member introduction thread, I have a sweet little 323i.

However, around 3 am this morning, a (very likely drunk) @$$hole plowed into it as well as several other cars as it was parked in San Francisco. And then drove away.

Now, I'm left to wonder what the chances of repair being worth it are, so I can decide where to have it towed. If it's definitely a total loss, then I would probably leave it close to where the crime occurred and... uh... do... something... with it? If not, I'd want to have it towed back down to Palo Alto where I usually have it serviced.

My main concern is the rear left wheel, which took the worst of the impact.

Here are some pictures:

I tried taking some under the car, quite unsuccessfully:

As you can see, the tire would rub if I were to try and drive it, which is out of the question, right?

So I'm kind of stuck with a non-functional vehicle at the moment, and no idea what to do with it. Any advice would be very appreciated!
bayarea3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:37 AM   #2
Gatriel

My Ride: KL38444
I assume you don't have uninsured motorist coverage then? Just liability and nothing else?

If you are mechanically inclined, then this should be a DIY repair, save painting which I would leave to the pros. If you are not mechanically inclined its a total loss.

Either way, you need to call your insurance company and get uninsured motorist coverage. I think it costs $18 extra PER YEAR with USAA. I am sure it is similar with whomever you have.

More of my posts get deleted than anyone elses.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
futureSubie

My Ride: ZHP
^^ I dont think it matter if he have uninsured motorist coverage in this situation. Insurance companies won't payout unless he has some kind of info who the other vehicle was.

OP, I hope you have full coverage. Because the repair will probably cost as much as the car if not more.
futureSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Gatriel

Wow. I got hit and run with USAA 3 years ago. My 4 week out G25 was nailed, and USAA paid out, and even waived my deductible.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Insurance should cover it if you have the proper coverage. Most will require payment of the deductible. I had a hot and run with my e46. Brand new freakin bumper. Damage was small Andy deductible was more than the repair. So insurance wasn't involved. Still hasn't gotten fixed though :/

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
NorCalZman

My Ride: 05 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
Dang that sucks. That is one of my big fears when I park my car on the street in SF. Do you live in SF proper? The BMW dealer uses a shop called German Motor Collision Center in soma. Might give them a call and see if they can be of any assistance.
Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge mod
NorCalZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
edjay

My Ride: 99 328i, 08 E90M3
IMO The insurance company will total that car. Its repairable but your looking at at least $5000 from a decent body shop. If you have the space,time and know how you could DIY for less

Last edited by edjay; 07-13-2014 at 10:59 AM.
edjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
Total loss. Needs the quarter replaced, this is definitely not a diy.
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjay View Post
IMO The insurance company will total that car. Its repairable but your looking at at least $5000 from a decent body shop. If you have the space,time and know how you could DIY for less

I agree. There is likely more damage there than you can see by just looking at the pictures. Between the rear quarter, which is a huge repair, and the suspension components that are damaged I would think the repair price will exceed the value of the car. Unfortunately the values of these cars are next to nothing now so it doesn't take much to total them. To be honest I would hope for a total because cars are never the same after they get hit and need bodywork. The paint is never as nice as the factory paint and they just never seem to drive as well. Push the insurance company for a total OP.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
bayarea3

I actually do have uninsured motorist protection, but like AW ZHP said, they will only cover if I give them the information of the person that did it, *and* that person's insurance won't cover. Why did I even bother with this coverage?

Now, we already knew it was a '99-'00 Ford Windstar because they left half the front of their car behind (plowed into the back of the van that was parked right in front of me, launched it like 4 ft into two other cars), but there is also video of the incident, from several angles, so I am optimistic about finding the culprit.

My current plan is to have it towed to German Motors Collision Center (thanks for the tip NorCalZman!), even though they have some awful Yelp reviews. They should give me some ridiculous estimate, which I shall give my insurer. Then have the car towed to some random yard for cheap keeping until everything gets sorted, fingers crossed the whole time...

NorCalZman, would you happen to know a place that might be interested in buying the car, whether for parts or taking on the repair?
Old 07-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
autoAER

My Ride: 03 325xi,08 335i
I highly recommend elians auto repair in redwood city. Ask for john, he does quality work and his parts pricing is on point, and he can refer you to a body shop as well. My car has been serviced there the past few times, they are excellent

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
bayarea3

Yeah, so I usually go to Palo Alto Bimmer, but the main reason I'm going with the other place is so the tow is a lot cheaper, and I figure at this point I'll be looking more at unloading the car than fixing it. I'm still gonna call PA Bimmer and Elians (great tip!) first thing in the morning and see how much they charge for just holding the car.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
NorCalZman

My Ride: 05 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea3 View Post
My current plan is to have it towed to German Motors Collision Center (thanks for the tip NorCalZman!), even though they have some awful Yelp reviews. They should give me some ridiculous estimate, which I shall give my insurer. Then have the car towed to some random yard for cheap keeping until everything gets sorted, fingers crossed the whole time...

NorCalZman, would you happen to know a place that might be interested in buying the car, whether for parts or taking on the repair?
Yeah I noticed they have a few bad yelp reviews, but they repair cars up to BMW factory standards (including sourcing parts from BMW). I took a tour of the place a few months ago with the BMWCCA and was pretty impressed with the operation. Granted, I am not a body expert. I am sure they will be happy to walk you around if you wanted.

I have no idea who would want/take the car. I thought with insurance pay outs for totaled cars they gave you a check and then handled the rest from there.

Again, I feel for you. It would break my heart to come out to my car and see that. This is why I do not drive my car in the city. Only on trips OUT of the city. the rest is (ugh) public transit or a ride sharing app.
Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge mod
NorCalZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Sorry to see your clean looking 323i ZSP with this kind of damage OP.
It would be a shame to send it to a recycling yard if it also has a manual transmission.
Unfortunately, the market value of these cars is next to nothing, so it's up to you to decide if you want to fix it properly. You will likely have to spend some of your cash even if the driver at fault is identified.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:10 AM   #15
Jaymalls

My Ride: '00 323Ci Coupe
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!*** Anyway, i ended up driving it off the highway so i can call a friend to come tow it but ended up fuQing it up more! Anyway i bought the rear end at hunts point in the Bronx for less than $200 and paid a "local/backyard" mechanic that specializes in old mercedes and BMWs $220 to put it on. The body work is not important rt now! Just research... dont cry or take people word for ish!

P.S. You are going to have to put it on a machine to straighten it out!

Last edited by Jaymalls; 07-14-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Jaymalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #16
bkina

My Ride: E46 330Ci // E36
My dad had his truck crashed into when he left it parked in the street a few years ago. I don't know how or what plan he had but they fixed it for him, and I distinctly remember it being a hit and run in the middle of the night as well.

The rear wheel does look a bit shoved in to the car, hopefully no frame damage. Insurance doesn't give you KBB value, they give you the actual market value of the car, so I would do some research and see what similar cars to yours are worth, in case they do try to declare it a total loss.
bkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:03 AM   #17
Gatriel

I'm sorry.

This is DIY work, at least mechanically, and the bodywork is just sheetmetal.

You could fix this if you want to. While the paint will never be as good as it once was, if you can pocket a few thousand off of this I figure thats ok.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!*** Anyway, i ended up driving it off the highway so i can call a friend to come tow it but ended up fuQing it up more! Anyway i bought the rear end at hunts point in the Bronx for less than $200 and paid a "local/backyard" mechanic that specializes in old mercedes and BMWs $220 to put it on. The body work is not important rt now! Just research... dont cry or take people word for ish!

P.S. You are going to have to put it on a machine to straighten it out!

You should really just stick with "caking on the bitches" or whatever the hell you said and leave the car advice to someone else.

Christ almighty just get me thru a few more years so these people move on to another chassis.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #19
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
Insurance will total that. But it is fixable if your willing to DIY or pay OTA. Sad to see another E46 potentially scrap...
Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #20
Gatriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
You should really just stick with "caking on the bitches" or whatever the hell you said and leave the car advice to someone else.

Christ almighty just get me thru a few more years so these people move on to another chassis.

Couldn't agree more. e90 boards are starting to take hits as well as you can pick up high mileage 06 325is for about $6k on CL now.