E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Worstenemy453

My Ride: E46 325i Sedan
e46 projector retrofit

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.U74HlX0pDMI

Just trying to get my light game right. I have stock halogens and while i actually like the output, i dont like the yellow color and want a nice white. I was looking at the kit below and wondered if i need anything else.
Worstenemy453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
futureSubie

My Ride: ZHP
The HID kit. I had Mini H1 projectors and the DDM Tuning HID kit. Came out like $110 total.

Last edited by futureSubie; 07-09-2014 at 10:33 PM.
futureSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Worstenemy453

I dont want to be that guy with HIDs inincorrect lights driving aroung blinding poeple, ill leave that to the Hondas. Id buy white halogen bulbs if i found decent ones.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
futureSubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstenemy453 View Post
I dont want to be that guy with HIDs inincorrect lights driving aroung blinding poeple, ill leave that to the Hondas. Id buy white halogen bulbs if i found decent ones.
What are you talking about? Are you retrofitting projectors and using white halogen bulbs?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Worstenemy453

Nevermind, i misunderstood your post. I read it as forget projectors and just run an HID kit.

Anyway, will those projectors drop right in factory lights ? Do i need the HID kit for highs too or do i just leave those ?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
futureSubie

Quote:
Nevermind, i misunderstood your post. I read it as forget projectors and just run an HID kit.

Anyway, will those projectors drop right in factory lights ? Do i need the HID kit for highs too or do i just leave those ?
I know the Mini H1 fits with no modification, not sure about the ones in your link. You dont need HID kit for the high beam, unless you want to.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
Worstenemy453

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/led...ml#.U74IzX0pDM

Im also looking at these
Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
Bafffyyy

My Ride: is Individual
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
I wouldn't go for the retroquik one. If I was to do the retrofit right now I'd probably get the D2S kit that uses the morimoto mini. It simply gives you access to better bulbs. Remember - having projectors is one thing, but having a proper bulb is also important. As for angel eyes, I'll plug Umnitza. I have their Orion V4's, and they work a treat. Had some trouble with shipping since I'm a million lights years away, but everything's good now.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.U74HlX0pDMI

Just trying to get my light game right. I have stock halogens and while i actually like the output, i dont like the yellow color and want a nice white. I was looking at the kit below and wondered if i need anything else.
That kit is for people with ZKW projectors. So if you have an 03+ sedan you'll likely have ZKW projectors and can use this kit. If you have anything else, or have halogens, there will be some custom cutting/fabrication required. First lets start with what you have now. Show, don't tell

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafffyyy View Post
I wouldn't go for the retroquik one. If I was to do the retrofit right now I'd probably get the D2S kit that uses the morimoto mini. It simply gives you access to better bulbs. Remember - having projectors is one thing, but having a proper bulb is also important. As for angel eyes, I'll plug Umnitza. I have their Orion V4's, and they work a treat. Had some trouble with shipping since I'm a million lights years away, but everything's good now.
AFAIK, the retroquick kit accepts D2S

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #11
Bafffyyy

My Ride: is Individual
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
I'm probably wrong as I never really looked too heavily into it.

Either way, go for D2S bulbs if you can over H1/H7 OP.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Worstenemy453

I have an 02 Sedan. Just standard halogen bulbs, i dont even have projectors.

But in a new development, the socket where my low beam bulb locks into the housing on the drivers side is actually melted where it wont accept the bulb so its kinda just sitting there. Id like the projectors to be as plug and play as possible as i dont want to be sitting there for hours upon hours just to put them in and if i can id like to just put projectors in my stock housings now instead of having to start with new housings to get rid of this melted crap.

What are my options ?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I have an 02 Sedan. Just standard halogen bulbs, i dont even have projectors.

But in a new development, the socket where my low beam bulb locks into the housing on the drivers side is actually melted where it wont accept the bulb so its kinda just sitting there. Id like the projectors to be as plug and play as possible as i dont want to be sitting there for hours upon hours just to put them in and if i can id like to just put projectors in my stock housings now instead of having to start with new housings to get rid of this melted crap.

What are my options ?
Pretty sure you can get a pair of mini H1s or Mini D2Ss and just "bolt" them in. They physically sit in the stock reflector bowl and there's a big metal nut and nylon washer you put on the other side and you "sandwich" it down. It's not the cleanest install but it will be worlds better than what you have now. your other option is to find a pair of burnt ZKW headlight units (complete) and buy a retroquick kit and they'll bolt right in using bi-xenon projectors.

So to recap, this AFAIK will "bolt" straight into your halogen bowls.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-3-kit-h1.html

or...

This replaces burnt ZKW projectors units. Remember you need the headlights first.

personally i'd do the second option but it's a pain in the ass to source used headlights probably. Try eBay.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...ghts-only.html

Or you can just buy a pair of Bosch ALs but prepare to spend mega bucks.

These are the EASIEST solutions. There are of course better performing solutions but they take a lot of skill and time (and money) to get working.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 07-17-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #14
Worstenemy453

And the ZKW's would be in 03+ Sedans ? Were they standard or optioned ?