E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #61
garrafa

My Ride: E46 M3 CONV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtaile View Post
Do you have any more pics of this install? I am very interested in doing this to my 2002 325CI.
Hello, Please see the ebay link posted above, it has more pics.
garrafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #62
ohtaile

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325CI
I have a stock 2002 325ci. It has a stock head unit. I want to add some bass to the car and this looks so awesome. Do I have to get a new head unit for an amp and 12 inch subwoofer? I am going to get a body shop to do it. How much do you think this would cost for a body shop to custom do this? I def will get the bracket from you on ebay.
ohtaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #63
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMystic View Post
Not sure if it's worth waiting for '03 specs for possible SMG or new colors. Would like car sooner, but I don't want to regret it. The only real reason for me to wait would be for SMG. Anyone esle here in my boat?
Once you have the bracket, sub and amp the rest is easy. Screw the bracket in, screw the sub to the bracket, screw the amp into the back of the seats in the trunk, run a wire for the sub, and a power wire for the amp to the battery which is in the trunk. There's tons of info on this site.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #64
garrafa

Quote:
I have a stock 2002 325ci. It has a stock head unit. I want to add some bass to the car and this looks so awesome. Do I have to get a new head unit for an amp and 12 inch subwoofer? I am going to get a body shop to do it. How much do you think this would cost for a body shop to custom do this? I def will get the bracket from you on ebay.
No body shop needed at all. Like taylor192 says above, just mount the bracket to the car, subwoofer to the bracket. You can keep your head unit. Just use the cables going into the OEM sub and plug them into a "speaker line input" of your new amp. If you don't have a sub oem cable to begin with, you can "piggy back" from your rear speakers or tap into the speaker harness (located at harness connection in driver rear side of car). Then connect the amp to the car battery (conveniently located in trunk), connect the amp to any ground location on the car's frame, piggy back the remote turn on wire from your head unit and you're done (located at harness connection in driver rear side of car) . It's not difficult. You could have any audio installer do the amp connections for a few bucks and the bracket install yourself. Instructions are included with the bracket on how to remove rear seats and original oem if you have one as well as how to mount the bracket. When you order, please include the center hole cutout diameter you need to mount your subwoofer. See ebay ad for an example of what you need, I get a lot of questions on this. You'll love this mod! and it will certainly ad more than just "some" bass".
Old 02-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #65
ohtaile

I am very new to audio. I want to put a twelve back there. Do I have to take out the seats to install this Bracket? Also, Can you post a link where you got your air free sub and amp? I want to get exactly what you got since you have great sound. I honestly do not know how to do this myself, and i am debating whether to go to a audio shop and pay $300-400 for labor lol. Killing me.

Was your 12 sub an actual air free sub?

I am thinking about getting this sub

http://www.goldstaraudio.com/re-audio-sex-12/

Last edited by ohtaile; 02-27-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 AM   #66
garrafa

Quote:
I am very new to audio. I want to put a twelve back there. Do I have to take out the seats to install this Bracket? Also, Can you post a link where you got your air free sub and amp? I want to get exactly what you got since you have great sound. I honestly do not know how to do this myself, and i am debating whether to go to a audio shop and pay $300-400 for labor lol. Killing me.

Was your 12 sub an actual air free sub?

I am thinking about getting this sub

http://www.goldstaraudio.com/re-audio-sex-12/
Hi, Here's the hardware used, though if only doing subwoofer, just get a mono subwoofer amp, also available from Alpine:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-MRX-V70...eywords=mrxv70

Yes, subwoofer above is free-air.

Your SEX-12 sub will fit, it needs an 11.2" mounting hole in bracket but make sure it's free-air type.

Yes, you need to remove rear seats and oem subwoofer, but it's quite easy, instructions provided with bracket purchase.

$400 to install is totally unnecessary, at most install the bracket and sub yourself and pay an audio shop $50 or so to hook it up to your existing subwoofer audio signal wires and to power.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #67
ohtaile

Just bought the bracket. I ended up going with a powerful SXX12D2 Free Air. I hope I made a good choice. 1000RMS
Old 03-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #68
garrafa

Quote:
Just bought the bracket. I ended up going with a powerful SXX12D2 Free Air. I hope I made a good choice. 1000RMS
That sub is a beast, post pics of your install! (during and after!).
Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #69
ohtaile

I will def post pics. My two front speakers in my convertible are blown. They are factory. I think they are 6.5. Will any after market speaker fit in those slots? I am thinkging of getting two 6.5 jbl off amazon. What speakers do you use for your sound system?

And I would like to replace the back ones. They are 4 inches correct? I am not going to use an amp. Whats your suggestion?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #70
ohtaile

Well, I finally did it. Bought the bracket, installed it and the subwoofer myself, and got my local audio store to hook up the amp and subwoofer. I must say, It looks, sounds, and blows this little 2002 325ci convertible away. It hits so hard, has that nice sleek bass, that hits hard lows on every song. Garrafa was right, there is nothing on the car that rattles from the outside. The trunk is sealed and all the air shoots into the car. Nothing rattles! The car has that nice expensive bass sound to it when you are standing outside of the car with nothing on the trunk or car rattling. Its amazing.

I do have to have the bass turned down all the way because its an Infinite Baffle Free air setup. The sub will start getting distorted if I mess with the bass knob that came with the amp. But the bass still pounds so hard on the lowest setting and when I turn the volume up, it blows me away. Everything vibrates inside. The sub hits so hard.

My setup
RE Audio SEXv2-12D2 750RMS
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...EXv2-12D2.html

Soundstorm SSL EV2.2000 700RMS 2000 PEAK
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...EXv2-12D2.html

Spray painted bracket black

I Had to put subwoofer upside down because the bracket on the back was too big to fit upright in the ski pass. I had to turn it for the bracket on the back of the sub to fit. Still looks amazing and sounds amazing

I use a bluetooth FM Transmitter that I got off amazon and the sound quality is crystal clear.

I put KaiBirds LED's In as well. Has a beautiful bluish 8500k look

Last edited by ohtaile; 03-17-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #71
jojomosgo

My Ride: BMW 330cic
Wiring diagram

does anyone have the wiring diagram for this setup? Are you coming off the HK factory amp? What are you feeding the sub am with?
jojomosgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #72
CarbonZHP

My Ride: is uncomfortable
How did you guys get your armrest cover thing back in. I made something like this myself and the armrest cover woldnt go back in. Thinner MDF?
CarbonZHP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #73
ohtaile

Garaffa, thanks for all your help

Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #74
ohtaile

I do not have a HK setup. I'm using one amp to power sub and using the factory speakers which I have replaced with jbl audio speakers in the doors.

The armrest can still pop out and pop back in. Nothing was done to the armrest or the back seats. They pop in perfect

Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #75
garrafa

Demo on YouTube!

FOR REAL DEMO GO TO (use good headphones!):

Order at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151051003618...witem=&vxp=mtr
Old 07-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #76
YYCBMW

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
I just bought and installed my Infinity Kappa 100.9 10" subwoofer using this bracket in my M3 Vert. The bracket worked great, only thing was the mounting holes had to be drilled out a bit bigger as I couldn't get all four bolts in without cross threading them (no biggie). Once installed I could not get the center cover to clip back in. I got it mostly in, but when the bass hits hard the cone hits the plastic on the back of the center cover. Hey Grarrafa, I have the same sub as you, but the 10" version. How the heck did you get your center cover to close properly? If you could under mount the sub, that would likely be the most ideal mounting technique (if that makes sense...screw the sub to the bracket from the trunk side).

A note to others, I used to have a mid-90's Sony Xplode 12" sub in a 1 cubic foot enclosure in my trunk and this new set up is definitely better in my opinion, plus I gain back my very limited trunk space. Every time I do a road trip I used to have to take my sub out. I'm pretty happy except that I can't get my center cover to close properly. Keep in mind, I typically like bass that is better than what an OEM system can provide, but not bass that can be heard from miles away if you know what I mean.