E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #21
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
I will have the rear camera install up and posted within 30min or so.. just finishing up now. I have been bashing on it all day.
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #22
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom22 View Post
Hey man. Looking very forward to this DIY. I purchased a reverse camera but the tutorial was for the older models without the trunk grip lid so I'm hesitant to make the install.

Appreciate you taking the plunge for the rest of us.
Its up and posted on the start of this thread. Feel free to provide any feedback.. I could have missed something in the editing pass.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #23
2000bimmer

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Hey Stefan...I followed your DIY for installing Avin in my brothers 03 vert as it was very well explained. I had no issues beside putting all the wires behind. I already got the backup camera and going to follow your DIY tomorrow or on the weekend. I think the hardest part seems to be the modification of the camera housing and securing it in place. But will leave my review if I do this part differently.
Thanks for your time and effort

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2000bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #24
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000bimmer View Post
Hey Stefan...I followed your DIY for installing Avin in my brothers 03 vert as it was very well explained. I had no issues beside putting all the wires behind. I already got the backup camera and going to follow your DIY tomorrow or on the weekend. I think the hardest part seems to be the modification of the camera housing and securing it in place. But will leave my review if I do this part differently.
Thanks for your time and effort

Absolutely welcome and glad to help. :-)
Old 05-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #25
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
I can't seem to pull out the climate controls any tips?

alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #26
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post
I can't seem to pull out the climate controls any tips?

So in my case, and what I saw by research just get your fingers behind the HVAC unit and it should just push straight out. Super simple and easy.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #27
alirz

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
So in my case, and what I saw by research just get your fingers behind the HVAC unit and it should just push straight out. Super simple and easy.
eventually got it. I found it extremely really easy that when i slid a knife above the area where the clips are that hold the climate control in place...the controls came out very easily...

On another note i have broken the plastic part(holding that long metalic silver pin tab) on the trim close to the where the car key goes. Now im not sure how that trim is going to secure itself once i put everything back... i bet that trim peace is super expensive if i buy a new one.. On top of that i have the brushed aluminum trim...
Old 05-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #28
alirz

Please urgent help needed.

I just received my avant 2 unit for my 2003 m3 coupe. I've plugged everything in but I have no sound from any source at all...I'm replacing my stock business non navigation radio.

Just to confirm I've plugged the bracket and the Ibus connector to the back for the avant. I also have another bracket(the one with ILL wire) that came with the avant 2 but I guess thats for radios with a different pin layout(I'm not using that one)?

I'm also not using the plug that has various audio in/out RCA plugs. I assume that for after market amps and stuff?

The bracket that is currently hooked in the back of the unit has a wire for REVERSE, PARKING, AMP...and maybe one other wire...those are currently not used...

The unit turns on. I have a media car in the slot and I can see my music.

If it seems everything has been installed good then how come I have zero sound from any inputs, radio, media SD, Bluetooth etc... Please help....

Thanks

Old 05-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #29
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post
Please urgent help needed.

I just received my avant 2 unit for my 2003 m3 coupe. I've plugged everything in but I have no sound from any source at all...I'm replacing my stock business non navigation radio.

Just to confirm I've plugged the bracket and the Ibus connector to the back for the avant. I also have another bracket(the one with ILL wire) that came with the avant 2 but I guess thats for radios with a different pin layout(I'm not using that one)?

I'm also not using the plug that has various audio in/out RCA plugs. I assume that for after market amps and stuff?

The bracket that is currently hooked in the back of the unit has a wire for REVERSE, PARKING, AMP...and maybe one other wire...those are currently not used...

The unit turns on. I have a media car in the slot and I can see my music.

If it seems everything has been installed good then how come I have zero sound from any inputs, radio, media SD, Bluetooth etc... Please help....

Thanks

Sounds like you got info from Tommy as well, but don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #30
ibd12nv

Free bump for a great write-up
ibd12nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #31
ibd12nv

SD 32gig expansion card - review
https://avinusa.com/32gb-microsd.html

Not much to say on this one, other than why wouldn't you get this? More local storage is ALWAYS a good thing, and the cache file helps system performance as well.

In short, get it. Install into the NAV slot (right side) and it will mount on the device. Good to go.

Should have read this first, but I already had a 64gb card handy. The format was EXFAT and could not be recognized by the unit which uses FAT32. With the help of Tommy and his outstanding customer service I used this program to change my SD Card: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm.

Worked like a charm. Thanks for putting this together OP! waiting for your next chapter.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #32
Codeman

My Ride: 325xi, M Roadster
I have oem Nav (originally) now I have Avant 2, I've installed it and it's working well, but what do I need to do to make the buttons illuminate?
Codeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #33
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
I have oem Nav (originally) now I have Avant 2, I've installed it and it's working well, but what do I need to do to make the buttons illuminate?
So you will need to tap a power wire to get the buttons to illuminate. I am not sure which one as I didn't have to do this, but I am sure that info is over on the main Avant-2 thread. Worst case, drop an email to Tommy as I am sure he will know.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #34
raichean

The front facing DVR camera DIY is done and linked up at the header posts on this thread. Overall the install as pretty darn simple and took me roughly 30min to complete. The camera is almost completely hidden from interior view, and works like a charm. I am really looking forward to this and my track day next week!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #35
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
Its the orange wire in the supplied replacement harness. I tapped mine into the rear lights on my car as I hadn't run that wire to the front when doing the install. When they go on, so does the AVIN illumination.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #36
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
There is a dash illumination wire in the stock nav monitor plug, the blue plug, grey with red stripe as I recall (always test to confirm first).

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #37
ibd12nv

Just finished the Camera install yesterday for the M3 COUPE. Great instructions posted! It was little different from the pictures of course but thanks to the OP I was able to get this done in short order. He responded quickly to my many questions. I, in turn, will do the same for any one who would like help in the wiring.
A few notes:
The handle can be taken apart easier by wedging a pry tool in center while undoing the snaps.
Connect all the wires while reading the instructions. Then take them apart for the install. I guess I'm slow but it helped.

The camera did require some trimming which a dremal can handle in two minutes. Trim 3/8 in off the side with the long ridge.
I drilled two small holes to secure the camera to the lift handle and sealed it with sealant.

The camera is great for the price and works as good as the OEM in my 335i!

Thanks again Stefan for your rapid response to my questions.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #38
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibd12nv View Post
Just finished the Camera install yesterday for the M3 COUPE. Great instructions posted! It was little different from the pictures of course but thanks to the OP I was able to get this done in short order. He responded quickly to my many questions. I, in turn, will do the same for any one who would like help in the wiring.
A few notes:
The handle can be taken apart easier by wedging a pry tool in center while undoing the snaps.
Connect all the wires while reading the instructions. Then take them apart for the install. I guess I'm slow but it helped.

The camera did require some trimming which a dremal can handle in two minutes. Trim 3/8 in off the side with the long ridge.
I drilled two small holes to secure the camera to the lift handle and sealed it with sealant.

The camera is great for the price and works as good as the OEM in my 335i!

Thanks again Stefan for your rapid response to my questions.
Always happy to help.. I have asked a million questions, so happy to pay it forward where I can.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #39
tprgreen

My Ride: E46
Navi

i am having issues loading "scout navigation" the option sais its not compatible with this device? update needed?
tprgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #40
J03SK1

My Ride: E46 M3
im having trouble getting it to play videos can anyone help? im sure ive missed something simple
J03SK1 is offline   Reply With Quote